LegacyGT.com

Help me identify an obnoxious whirring sound?

About 6 months ago I started to hear a "whirring" sound from what seems to be the passenger side of the car. It changes at different speeds but is consistent aside of that. The sound is like...."wa wa wa wa wa", and it comes on around 30mph and is gets faster/more frequent all the way up to 80mph. On throttle or coasting, in D or N it's the same. The car rides straight and smooth in every other way. There's no change when I turn that I can hear. I've been driving it with this problem for like 6 months because there is no other symptom other than the noise. I rotated tires to see if the sound changed at all. It didn't. While I had the car up in the air I checked the wheel bearings by doing the standard...try to wiggle wheel to check for play... There was none. I had my car in the shop for other work and asked my mechanic to take a look at things and he found nothing obvious. I thought for SURE it was my summer set of tires just making noise and I would find out for sure when it was time to swap to my winter set of wheels.

Today I swapped to my stock wheels and blizzaks for the winter and the sound is STILL THERE. It's now driving me nuts nuts nuts. :spin:

Could this still be a wheel bearing even though there's no play in any wheel when lifted off the ground? I don't know what else on earth it is or could be. CV joint?

all the symptoms point to a wheel bearing to me... i would highly doubt CV. Try jacking it up from the lower control arm about 1" -2" gap between the ground and tire " not all the way jacked up this will load the suspension too much" and give her a wiggle. if still nothing check the backing plate behind the rotor this may also be rubbing just a bit... other than that maybe trans noise??? check fluid level?? good luck!!

Possible wheel bearing. I had similar issue. Turned out the the rear toe was whack and causing the tires to almost howl before I was able to get alignment. Check your cv joints/boot to maint sure they are not cracked. Possible axle binding may cause the sound.

Thanks for all the feedback. Gotta love lgt.com. Thinking I should just get my bearings replaced and see where it goes from there. I have a feeling that's going to solve the problem.

You can 100% verify a noisey bearing that has no play. Have the mechanic stethoscope each corner while the car is on the lift and someone is running it at around 50mph. That way you can be sure of the noisey one without replacing unneccesary bearings. The left rear is the most common one to go here in the northeast due to it being the rusty (salt) side of the car.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Yes was the right rear bearing. Had it replaced this past weekend, covered by Subaru. :) Huge difference in road noise and ride obviously, but I guess I didn't realize how bad it's gotten over time because I feel like I'm driving on air now.

Archived