LegacyGT.com

Engine rattle

Hi Guys,

This rattle is driving me crazy. I can only hear it while outside the car. Rattle is there at idle but not always. My mechanic thought it was the catt in the DP, that was not the problem replaced it, LOL no cost . Checked the turbo too, it is fine, the car is running great. I did replace the OEM UP with a STi UP and recently replaced the wastegate actuator (I have read it could be sticking). It sounds like a heat shield rattle but we checked all of those too. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thx:)

You hate rattles , I put Dynamat and insulation throughout my work truck and everything is covered with moving blankets Did the same to the LGT. My eye site sucks but hearing is fantastic. Sorry wish I can help but you are far away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen a broken wastegate arm inside of the turbo exhaust side. I didn't hear it when it was running but it would have definitely rattled when it was revved. Is the rattle prominent when it's just idling and is it more prominent when hot versus cold?

If it were a V8, I would think that it either had a collapsed lifter or a rocker arm that was worn on the pivot. That's what it sounds like at the very end of the video-an upper engine kind of tapping.

I'm guessing a idler pulley. Something is free wheeling after you let off the gas.

But the noise is supposedly coming from the PS rear corner of the engine, by or near the turbo/exhaust. If you could hear it inside the car, the idler pulley could definitely be suspect as it echoes around under the hood with it closed but it supposedly is right at the back PS corner, hence the idea of loose catalytic converter or heat shield.

If you ARE right, that would be an extremely simple fix.

Joe,

Borrow a stethoscope and listen to the bearing on the idler pulley and also the PS pump and alternator shafts and see if there is noise there that is perhaps echoing around the engine compartment.

Thx for the input so far guys, I passed it on to my mechanic, he says it is not engine related, turbo's fine, cars running wonderful, loving the 45 degree weather. It rattles hot or cold.I don't think we checked the shield near the driveshaft/engine/ tranny areas. Have to look into it.

I'm guessing a idler pulley. Something is free wheeling after you let off the gas.

To check your guess Max I held the RPM at 3k and when I get off the throttle I hear it, not at 3k. Idler pulley free-wheeling? Maybe.

To check your guess Max I held the RPM at 3k and when I get off the throttle I hear it, not at 3k. Idler pulley free-wheeling? Maybe.

That's my guess, the free wheeling give's it away. It shouldn't be the TOB but I'm not sure what else would free wheel other then the turbo. Think about it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

This happened 3 times with my 2.5i, it was just the heat shield coming loose. I'm not positive thats what it is on your car, but it is common on our leggys.

I just went through this. I had a rear differential heat shield loose a bolt and it would rub on the driveshaft sending the noise to the front passenger side of the car. I swore it was either a front cv joint or turbo making the noise.

I have the same sound at 2-3k rpms. Sounds like passenger side right near the turbo like some of you guys said. Can't figure it out. Just replaced the turbo with a brand new vf40 and a catless up. Update us when you figure it out! The rattle annoys me like crazy

I have the same sound at 2-3k rpms. Sounds like passenger side right near the turbo like some of you guys said. Can't figure it out. Just replaced the turbo with a brand new vf40 and a catless up. Update us when you figure it out! The rattle annoys me like crazy

At 2-3k I don't hear it it's only when I let off the throttle.Will do! Need some spare time, hopefully this week.

• 3 weeks later...
OK the mechanic figured it out, UP gasket at turbo, layered gasket has separated, it will be replaced next week. So funny I thought it started after I replaced the UP but wasn't sure.

Archived