LegacyGT.com

Motor Trend names Subaru Forester SUV of the Year

Picky1

Link to story:

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/motor-trend-names-suv-of-the-year-4

Maybe we will be lucky enought to get the same motor in the 2015 Legacy???

"The new turbocharged 250-horsepower 2.0XT saw universal praise from Motor Trend, and for good reason, too. The new engine delivers some 26 horsepower and 32 ft-lb of torque over its predecessor, shooting the XT off to a 6.2-second zero-to-60-mph time and a 14.8-second quarter-mile. Like its naturally aspirated sibling, though, that's not all because of the great new engine. A new CVT takes the place of the previous car's antiquated 4-speed automatic transmission, offering both faster acceleration and improved fuel economy.

And while automotive journalists love to hate CVTs, this one met with universal praise. "I was incredibly impressed with the CVT on the XT, especially when it's in Sport and fakes up to 8 'gears,'" Senior Features Editor Jonny Lieberman said. "Subaru went ahead and programmed it as aggressively as Porsche's PDK. When I was really flogging away on the XT, I'd look down at the gear indicator and observe that I was in '2.' Impressive."

Subaru must have promised a lot of ad money to MT. That's what usually buys SUV or Car of the Year.

That would mean pretty much any car company other than Subaru should win every year since they all have way bigger bank accounts than Subaru does.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

^That might be true, but as much as I hate a CVT in my wife's Impreza, I actually liked the CVT in the new XT. It's quick, less 'rubbery', and quieter too.

The CVT in the NA cars is one generation older, but it still beats a crapload of stepped AT boxes by being smoother and more efficient. The CVT is sneaky since it's easy to end up going faster than you intended.

453747.png

Link to story:

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/motor-trend-names-suv-of-the-year-4

Maybe we will be lucky enought to get the same motor in the 2015 Legacy???

"... A new CVT takes the place of the previous car's antiquated 4-speed automatic transmission, offering both faster acceleration and improved fuel economy.

And while automotive journalists love to hate CVTs, this one met with universal praise. "I was incredibly impressed with the CVT on the XT, especially when it's in Sport and fakes up to 8 'gears,'" Senior Features Editor Jonny Lieberman said. "Subaru went ahead and programmed it as aggressively as Porsche's PDK. When I was really flogging away on the XT, I'd look down at the gear indicator and observe that I was in '2.' Impressive."

As I have been saying - - - but in the 300hp trim of the Legacy DIT it is even better - big torque down low and quick crisp shifts...

Maybe now that a "dyed in the wool" CVT hater ( JL ) has heaped praise on the HTCVT perhaps the actual user's comments will carry a little more legitimacy... ?:wub:

Good news for Subaru. Not only are they kicking butt in the crash tests, but its also nice to see some MT love.

I am very serious about buying a new Forester for my wife. I Im really starting to like them and the XT is a blast to drive.

Great news Subaru... For once, I think Motor Trend got this right. I test drove the Forester XT and the 2.5 last Sunday. The 2.5 was impressive, but the XT was awesome. It's everything as described.

Unfortunately, the wife was not impress. We end up buying the Legacy 3.6R Limited instead.

Great news Subaru... For once, I think Motor Trend got this right. I test drove the Forester XT and the 2.5 last Sunday. The 2.5 was impressive, but the XT was awesome. It's everything as described.

Unfortunately, the wife was not impress. We end up buying the Legacy 3.6R Limited instead.

Until she sees the fuel bill.

453747.png

^That might be true, but as much as I hate a CVT in my wife's Impreza, I actually liked the CVT in the new XT. It's quick, less 'rubbery', and quieter too.

You nailed it. KRB is a new gen hater and full of caca.

• 2 weeks later...
I cant believe MT actually drove a 2014 Forester. The CVT is much better and much refined compared to my 2010 Legacy, but the Forester feels like you are in a Willys Jeep. It will pound and sway you until you cant wait to get out. I work for a company that uses the as fleet vehicles. The previous generation was so much better. If they only could have made it with the current CVT they really would have had a winner.

I cant believe MT actually drove a 2014 Forester. The CVT is much better and much refined compared to my 2010 Legacy, but the Forester feels like you are in a Willys Jeep. It will pound and sway you until you cant wait to get out. I work for a company that uses the as fleet vehicles. The previous generation was so much better. If they only could have made it with the current CVT they really would have had a winner.

The 2014 is far better than the 2013. The ride is more controlled, much smoother, handles a lot better, and is much quieter. An all around improvement.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As I see it - the latest Forester is an even better offroad vehicle than the earlier generations. Of course it's more jeep-like from that perspective, but it's not that extreme and still handles well on the road. I must admit that I was quite tempted by the Forester XT when I was changing car earlier this year.
453747.png

For not having an adjustable air suspension like a Range Rover or Cayenne, it does a good job off-road.

I would have liked an upper trim of the Subaru Forester XT Touring though. I never liked how rough the suspension is on the previous XT models. An adjustable suspension is one more thing to break, yes I'm well aware. ;D But easily doing $37k on a Subaru Forester XT Touring is right up there in the Evoque price range anyways. I want comfort on the road and off-road ability when there are blizzards in Colorado. ;<

I already get too much road feedback (tiny bumps and cracks in the road) in our 2012 Subaru Forester XT from the suspension.

We picked the 2014 Outback over the 2014 Forester bo had the 2.5i and CVT. the programming for the Forester cvt sucks. The driver is only allowed to shift it down one virtual "gear" ratio. Joe Spitz, from cars101.com, was our sales rep and he was also disappointed in the Forwster CVT programming. Same CVT & engine combination is used in the Outback and XV but is differently programmed for the Forster...ugh.

We do like our Outback. The only very minor minor minor complaint is that the CVT needs a couple extra milliseconds to go from reverse to forward. The Mrs really likes the CVT for her 30-45 min stop & go commute.

Cheers,

Mike

From Consumers Reports:

The most reliable and unreliable models

The most-reliable new car in our latest survey is the 2014 Subaru Forester. This small SUV has done great in our testing. It has excellent crash test scores. And now it is the reliability champ. A true grand slam.

Archived