LegacyGT.com

98 Lgt auto trans question

hello everyone, I just put a deposit on my first Subaru. After test driving and loving this 98 we agreed on a price and left a deposit, but now I'm thinking, that trans shifted kinda hard, not a clunk or anything, just very firm. So I thought id ask the experts, is this normal? on a 140k subie. This car has been well maintained, recent timing belt, water pump,cam seals and head gasket. any advice would be greatly appreciated!

hello everyone, I just put a deposit on my first Subaru. After test driving and loving this 98 we agreed on a price and left a deposit, but now I'm thinking, that trans shifted kinda hard, not a clunk or anything, just very firm. So I thought id ask the experts, is this normal? on a 140k subie. This car has been well maintained, recent timing belt, water pump,cam seals and head gasket. any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• I Donated

HELLO!

I'm here, but I'm not answering your question since you obviously expect an instant answer.

Kind of rude and impatient, don't you think?

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Could just be a little low on fluid if it shifts firm. My 99 gt 4eat shifts like its brand new, not harsh whatsoever but if they are low they sometimes shift hard from park into R or 1st. Warm it up and check the dipstick

please describe hard shift.

I did not mean to be rude . I apologise for my impatience . but I need to make a decision soon. Now to answer your question the best I can, its kinda like the tranny has a mild shift kit in it . But I don't think that's the case. Thanks for the replies!

I normally hang out on the generation 5 forum. I was simply foraging through different forums, and found your post.

We also own two generation 2 wagons - an L and a GT. I drove the '97 GT for 14 years, and it has become our daughter's beloved car. I do miss it.

Yes, the GT automatic has a very firm shift. It is supposed to be that way. At times it really pushes one forward very much like a manual shift. It is - and always has been - a completely different feel than that experienced in our '95 L wagon.

Who knows what really goes on in the transmission of a used car (my '97 GT was purchased used...), but I experience the exact same feeling that you have described... It certainly is normal for our car...

Good luck in your purchase. Our '97 GT wagon has been a brick. It has left us sit precisely one time. And that was in our driveway. Rather convenient. It was simply a burned coil at 127,000 miles. We always drive our Subarus till they are truly finished. Our '97 is far, far from finished.

Best.

Byll

I normally hang out on the generation 5 forum. I was simply foraging through different forums, and found your post.

We also own two generation 2 wagons - an L and a GT. I drove the '97 GT for 14 years, and it has become our daughter's beloved car. I do miss it.

Yes, the GT automatic has a very firm shift. It is supposed to be that way. At times it really pushes one forward very much like a manual shift. It is - and always has been - a completely different feel than that experienced in our '95 L wagon.

Who knows what really goes on in the transmission of a used car (my '97 GT was purchased used...), but I experience the exact same feeling that you have described... It certainly is normal for our car...

Good luck in your purchase. Our '97 GT wagon has been a brick. It has left us sit precisely one time. And that was in our driveway. Rather convenient. It was simply a burned coil at 127,000 miles. We always drive our Subarus till they are truly finished. Our '97 is far, far from finished.

Best.

Byll

That makes me feel a little better about my purchace. Thanks again

Silverone: When I read that your GT had a recent timing belt change, plus water pump,cam seals and head gasket replacement, I felt pretty good, as all of the major issues with generation 2 had been covered. We are 'looking forward' to another timing belt change and head gasket replacement, soon.

I am curious: Does Silverone refer to your 'new' GT being silver? Ours is just that.

Best.

Byll

Silverone: When I read that your GT had a recent timing belt change, plus water pump,cam seals and head gasket replacement, I felt pretty good, as all of the major issues with generation 2 had been covered. We are 'looking forward' to another timing belt change and head gasket replacement, soon.

I am curious: Does Silverone refer to your 'new' GT being silver? Ours is just that.

Best.

Byll

Well yes and no, it just so hapens that the new L-gt is silver , but ive been Silverone or Silver1 for a long time. Its my user name on all forms I join. I also have a silver harley and a silver e-30 325ic lol

i

Heh. Heh. You have been victimized by my poor usage of the English language. It should have read 'another timing belt change and a head gasket replacement,' soon. Head gasket has not ever been replaced - yet. From what I have read, it is next to inevitable.

Cheers.

Byll

My 98 GT has always had very firm shifts. The 1st to 2nd shift always being the most firm. It seems to just be the norm with this generation GT. I had a complete timing belt job on my GT about 4,000 miles ago. I'm sitting at 134k and everything seems to be good with the head gaskets thus far.

Well I picked up the 98,LGT yesterday I must of imagended the hard shift. Man this subie runs nice, this ones made in Indiana I didnt know we made them here, I live in S.E. Indiana, thats a + for me !

By carefully studying the shift patterns on our '98 LGT Auto Wagon, I've discovered the following:

When the tranny is cold, the shifts are gentle and happen during higher RPMs (This is by Subaru design).

When the tranny is warm, the shift into 1-2 is "normal" under moderate or hard acceleration, and the shift from 2-3 (or is it 3-4, lol) seems to take about 2 full seconds to complete under moderate acceleration.

Also when the tranny is warm, and when creeping slowly with very little throttle (say, through a parking lot), the 1-2 shift can be noticeably hard, in some cases with such an uncomfortable lurch that I feel it in my neck. This seems to be the common 1-2 hard shift, but in my case only happens when the tranny is up to running temperture.

Starting last week I've begun the 2- or 3-time tranny drain-and-fill. I am using Redline D4 synthetic ATF. After 2 drain and fills, the symptoms so far have not changed. The old fluid was in good condition (very well maintained according to dealership records).

FWIW.

By carefully studying the shift patterns on our '98 LGT Auto Wagon, I've discovered the following:

When the tranny is cold, the shifts are gentle and happen during higher RPMs (This is by Subaru design).

When the tranny is warm, the shift into 1-2 is "normal" under moderate or hard acceleration, and the shift from 2-3 (or is it 3-4, lol) seems to take about 2 full seconds to complete under moderate acceleration.

Also when the tranny is warm, and when creeping slowly with very little throttle (say, through a parking lot), the 1-2 shift can be noticeably hard, in some cases with such an uncomfortable lurch that I feel it in my neck. This seems to be the common 1-2 hard shift, but in my case only happens when the tranny is up to running temperture.

Starting last week I've begun the 2- or 3-time tranny drain-and-fill. I am using Redline D4 synthetic ATF. After 2 drain and fills, the symptoms so far have not changed. The old fluid was in good condition (very well maintained according to dealership records).

FWIW.

Keep us posted on your project , btw did you change the in trany filter 1st?

Keep us posted on your project , btw did you change the in trany filter 1st?

Haven't changed the screen, I've heard conflicting stories as to whether it is necessary to change it. Some say to let it be, and since this car had always been regularly serviced by the dealer, I'm not in a big hurry to change it. My 4EAT pan may be slightly deformed from pulling the engine to do the headgaskets last year, but it is not severe... in fact I'm not even completely sure if it is bent at all, just kind of hard to tell. I've also heard that some people are running an ATF fluid additive called Lubeguard to correct for the hard shift, but my guy at my local import FLAPS told me that switching to the Redline D4 ATF was basically doing that job.

Yep, I bought mine at 154k miles and it had a very hard shift... Now at 172k miles a year later and the car is still going, still a very hard 1 - 2 shift at times but I've learned to live with it...

Thanks for the reply ,if you dont mind me asking what did you pay for your subie. with 154k.

Archived