LegacyGT.com

Eight year old tires...

RuhRoh

Continental ContiSportContact 2 on my 2001 GTI GLX. Purchased and mounted in 2004, manufactured in October 2002, and they have between 5/32" and 6/32" tread left.

If I were to go by tread alone, I would keep them on. But eight years old, with a little dryrot/cracking showing on the shoulders, I'm thinking about replacing them.

The car is only used for local trips and likely gets only about 7k-8k miles annually.

Would you replace them?

i would.

i just replaced tires on the girlfriend's car before the winter. the tires looked brand new for over 6 year old tires. a lot of meat on the rubber. car also sat for about a couple of years. but still.. better safe than sorry.

same thing with my winters - bought them used. they had a lot of meat on them and were almost 5 and 1/2 years old when i realized they were that old during the second winter - i never looked the manufacturing date before that assuming they were relatively new. they still had good grip on them too..but i didn't want to chance it.

if your tires were 5 years old. i would say keep them...but 8 years, i think is really pushing it

in the end, it's your call

If the tires are showing dry-rot/cracking, I'd get rid of them.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

If the tires feel like anything other than smooth sticky rubber get rid of them. I bet if you look between the grooves the tires have old wrinkles in the rubber.

Yep -- that they do.

I was pretty much decided on getting new ones, but I thought I would check to see if other people thought the same as me.

Placed an order for Continental ConiExtreme DW today.

Yep -- that they do.

I was pretty much decided on getting new ones, but I thought I would check to see if other people thought the same as me.

Placed an order for Continental ConiExtreme DW today.

Good call. Always remember that the three most important things on your car in this order: TIRES, BRAKES, SUSPENSION.

Cracks inbetween meant that the compound had hardened lengthening stopping distance, reducing traction and disconecting the driver from the road. Your safety is worth more than a few hundred dollars and the performance you will get from the tires will make it feel worthwhile.

DONT FORGET TO POST A TIRE REVIEW IN A MONTH OR TWO!

Archived