LegacyGT.com

Car isn't turning well when turning right

godwhomismike

I noticed a week ago that the car was turning funny, but couldn't duplicate the problem until lastnight. The car turns like it's on rails when I'm going left, but if I am making a quick right, it seems like it's tripping all over itself and gets very sloppy. Does anyone notice this, or is there a problem. As far as I know, all the tire pressures are perfect - all tires are 31 psi.

Any advice? Can there be something wrong with the suspension/alignment?

- Mike

Perhaps something is loose. It might also be as simple as upping your tyre pressures, as 31psi might be allowing the sidewall to flop a bit during quick transitions. I run 37 psi all around, because 31 feels a bit...erm...imprecise to me.

Also, don't forget that your weight is on the left-hand side of car, so when you are turning, that added ballast will exacerbate the sensation of turn-in alacrity. I have a friend who is sufficiently large as to significantly alter the handling of a car. It will turn right all day, but left? Nope...straight it is, pushing like a bulldozer. This is an exaggerated example.

But if the problem is something you have just begun to notice, take it in. I'm sure it's something that is easily fixed. And keep us posted, please, in case others have the same difficulty.

Kevin

Please keep it on topic. It's a legitimate question. Don't ruin it. Thanks.

Moved to suspension section as that could be the most probable culprit.

Yeah, and no quips about it being a NASCAR edition (sorry, couldn't help it).

This is probably because it doesn't have a front LSD. The right front tire is the actual drive tire so when u make left turns, that's the tire spinning and doing the work. When you make right turns, there's no LSD to power that outside left tire.

Can someone else explain this in more technical terms so everyone can understand?:)

Yeah, and no quips about it being a NASCAR edition (sorry, couldn't help it).

Haha.

This is probably because it doesn't have a front LSD. The right front tire is the actual drive tire so when u make left turns, that's the tire spinning and doing the work. When you make right turns, there's no LSD to power that outside left tire.

Can someone else explain this in more technical terms so everyone can understand?:)

Wait, huh? There's still a differential to send torque to the outer and inner wheels, regardless of which way the car is turning. Both wheels *should* still be receiving power.

-ben

Before you check your alignment, get your car up to tire pressure specs. 35 front and 33 rear (minimum - I run 37 F/35 R). Do this completely cold in the morning before the sun has a chance to warm up one site over the other or you've driven on them and gotten the internal temps up. Both will give you bad TP readings. I believe you're not running enough tire pressure and the tires are lagging on turns.

As was mentioned, your left turns in an underinflated situation, will be more crisp with only you in the car. With others in the passenger side, or the carloaded more so on the right, the difference shouldn't be as great or may even turn more crisply to the right.

If airing up the tires to spec minimums doesn't change anything, then get it to the dealer and get your alignment checked. Subaru provides one courtesy alignment in the first 12 months/12000 miles so at least you've got that in your favor.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Before you check your alignment, get your car up to tire pressure specs. 35 front and 33 rear (minimum - I run 37 F/35 R). Do this completely cold in the morning before the sun has a chance to warm up one site over the other or you've driven on them and gotten the internal temps up. Both will give you bad TP readings. I believe you're not running enough tire pressure and the tires are lagging on turns.

As was mentioned, your left turns in an underinflated situation, will be more crisp with only you in the car. With others in the passenger side, or the carloaded more so on the right, the difference shouldn't be as great or may even turn more crisply to the right.

If airing up the tires to spec minimums doesn't change anything, then get it to the dealer and get your alignment checked. Subaru provides one courtesy alignment in the first 12 months/12000 miles so at least you've got that in your favor.

SBT

Thanks a lot, I'll try that this week and let you know if it works. :)

- Mike

I was going to play around with with, but decided since I'm going to be home on Friday, I might as well take it to be looked at especially since I will be driving up to Albany that evening. It's covered under warrenty, so let them look at it - appt. is for 8am Friday morning.

- Mike

.......If airing up the tires to spec minimums doesn't change anything, then get it to the dealer and get your alignment checked. Subaru provides one courtesy alignment in the first 12 months/12000 miles so at least you've got that in your favor.

SBT

Ideally, you would be sitting in the car while it is on the alignment rack. Or they could put your weight equivalent in sand bags on the driver side floorboard when they check/adjust your alignment.

Archived