LegacyGT.com

XM Radio Sound Quality

Yachtdawg

I've got a 2007 Outback Wagon LTD and opted to activate the XM service for the standard radio. When XM is fully operational (not having any of their satellites down), I get reception, but it sounds like a crappily encoded MP3 - sorta staticy. I have no issues with normal FM/AM/CD/Aux, only XM sounds like this. I've not yet attempted to trace the antennae to see if there's a crimp in it. Has anyone else experienced this? Not knowing if location matters regarding XM reception, I'm in Atlanta, Ga. Thanks for any suggestions.

Every XM station gets different bandwidth - some sound like crap - some sound great. Try listening to "Top 20" (channel 20) if you can - the sound quality should be pretty good - if not, you've got some other problem.

My fav station (48) is unfortunatley one of the worst sounding stations although they give far less to "talk" stations like comedy & news - they sound like you're listening to them through a long tunnel, underwater.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

I posted this already in the general forum, but it was suggested that I move it here.

I've got a 2007 Outback Wagon LTD and opted to activate the XM service for the standard radio. When XM is fully operational (not having any of their satellites down), I get reception, but it sounds like a crappily encoded MP3 - sorta staticy. I have no issues with normal FM/AM/CD/Aux, only XM sounds like this. I've not yet attempted to trace the antennae to see if there's a crimp in it. Has anyone else experienced this? Not knowing if location matters regarding XM reception, I'm in Atlanta, Ga. Thanks for any suggestions.

• 3 months later...

Giving this thread the 'ol bumparoo in both forums. I have a dealer-installed XM kit, and the reception is worse than my cousin's ford mustang (and he has his rigged to run through a seprate FM transmitter because his factory stereo does not have an aux/sat input). XM actually sounds worse than FM radio in my car.

Was wondering if this has to do with my antenna placement. The antenna is square in shape, and is mounted in the upper right corner of my front windshield. The adhesive side is stuck to the inside of the window. My guess would be that this is the cause of my issue if it is a directional antenna. Unfortunately, I asked the parts guy about it last time I was at the dealer. He said it was not a directional antenna.

I am stumped.

Giving this thread the 'ol bumparoo in both forums. I have a dealer-installed XM kit, and the reception is worse than my cousin's ford mustang (and he has his rigged to run through a seprate FM transmitter because his factory stereo does not have an aux/sat input). XM actually sounds worse than FM radio in my car.

Was wondering if this has to do with my antenna placement. The antenna is square in shape, and is mounted in the upper right corner of my front windshield. The adhesive side is stuck to the inside of the window. My guess would be that this is the cause of my issue if it is a directional antenna. Unfortunately, I asked the parts guy about it last time I was at the dealer. He said it was not a directional antenna.

I am stumped.

I have Sirius connected to my AUX input...sounds perfect (near CD quality)

two things to be aware of with satellite radio:

1) antenna location....where is it? roof/trunk/rear decklid/front dash??

2) Window tint-if your tint is metallized and your antenna is on the rear deck or front deck, your reception will be crappy

It also could just be your area???

Yachtdawg ~

I do not have XM, but have factory installed Sirius instead. One of the main complaints that I have is that, yes, it sounds 'tinny' to me. I think that it has more to do with the compression of the signal rather than the placement of your antenna.

Before I got my 08 Legacy, I had a portable Sirius unit mounted to the windshield of my 05 LGT. The antenna sat on the dashboard and connected through the FM adapter (which, BTW, requires a special connection wire purchased separately). I had the same complaints about sound quality being tinny - especially the high notes (cymbals, flutes etc). You're right - it sounds like a very bad MP3 recording - kinda pixelated if you will.

I've chalked this up to one of the drawbacks of Satellite radio. However, the programming far exceeds the disatisfaction I have with the sound quality, so it's not a problem for me. I've gotten used to it.

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but thought I'd give you my experiences...

Zim

obviously, sound quality like so many other things is completely and purely subjective so take whatever we say with a grain of salt because what sounds good to me, may sound like ass to you and vice versa...

But with Satellite Radio, 9 times out of 10, poor sound quality is attributed to antenna placement, locale and input...

Odd, My XM sounds pretty bad always. A clear local FM station sounds 10x better than the clearest XM channel. The compression is very noticeable. Some channels are worse than others.

I have never noticed a difference with antenna position or signal strength. It's digital. Your either getting the data, or not - There is no analog modulation to cause a quality difference.

Just a follow up, a poor audio connection from the xm to the stereo, or interference if using a FM broadcast to your stereo can make it worse for sure - you're no longer dealing with digital sources at these points.

Either way, XM, Sirius, etc... Programming gets stale just like a local station. Same stuff over and over just more variety. I got mine because I moved to a small isolated coastal town with crap for FM.

All -

Thanks to everyone who's offered opinions on this topic. This past weekend I rode in a 2007 Infiniti G35 sedan w/factory XM installed and it sounds substantially better than what I'm getting. The antenna was factory installed on the top of the rear window (external). Perhaps that has something to do with it. I've resigned myself to the compromise of lousy quality with a better selection of music than's offered on standard FM (which still sounds way better than XM).

I too have the factory XM (07) and it sounds barely average. No where near the clarity and depth of CD. Even my iPod direct to my cleansweep sounds 10x better. Only reason I keep it is if I get bored on a long trip and that only paid half price. IMO it's not worth more than $70 a year.

Go to Circuit City or any place that installs the XM or Sirius units. You probably only need an FM modulator that goes in line with the antenna. Works so well,

really any channel will work on the FM dial rather than trying to find a "dead" channel. I have a Sirius unit and it worked perfect.

sirius recomends installing the antenna on the roof. They say don't mount it on the dash.

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/CachedPage&c=FlexContent&cid=1173329546779

Yeah, but that is to insure UNINTERRUPTED signal and won't effect the QUALITY of the sound - you might just drop signal easier.

I mount my antenna on top of the rear view mirror (with magnet removed so the compass sill works :)), so the wire hides along the headliner. I'd never put on of the magnetic antenna on the roof of a new car.

Archived