LegacyGT.com

Xm Installs...?

Cstoop

Any one out there have any advice for a XM unit.

Iv'e seen the Clean Sirius installs but not much on the XM side.

I already have an acct with XM & i'm about to pick up my new 05 LGT.

What Sounds the best, fits the best, looks the best, & matches the interior colors the best? ect...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i've got XM installed - I'm using the COmmand unit stuck up in the cubby, in combination with a wired FM modulator. SOund is okay, although i'll move up to one of the AUX in hacks to get cleaner audio next spring.

old picture from when i was installing it - but gives you a good idea of how it fits in there.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4439&d=1107218327

The commander in the cubby is an awfully stealth way to install XM, but I think the Roady2 actually matches the interior better (even if it is a cheaper unit). This is my install using the included vent adapter:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/gallery//500/9849xm_night2.jpg

After seeing this bracket from someone here on legacygt, I was thinking about switching to use this though: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18161

http://www.depewfamily.com/forumuse/XM2.jpg

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

jazzmt, i've heard several people complain about that second adapter hitting passengers knees and messing things up.

I'll have to get a pictures of the Command lit up, it's not really that bad - i agree though, it would be nice if it had a red backlight.

My GF actually says she'd rather have it stay put anyway so that she can see it & (even though she's never touched it) mess with it easier than if it were facing away.

I think the vent mount is probably easier for me to reach & read anyway...so I'll probably leave it alone. I just think a solid mount is usually a better way to go. I wish they made one that came out from the left side of the radio, near the vents...about where I've got it now, but with a real mounting bracket...I suppose it wouldn't be all that hard for me to make one now that I think about it... hrm...

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

That second picture is of my install, I'm very happy with it as you can see from my posts in the linked thread with install pictures.

rallispec, so far the only person that complained about it hitting passengers knees was by someone who does not have the bracket, let alone an XM radio, is selling his LGT, and whose posts are mainly just flame-bait. As you would see from my posts, I have had no problems with myself (6' 2") or other tall people hitting the bracket in the passenger seat, or shorter folks with the seat forward hitting it.

Since my those installation pictures I have installed Jazzymt's aux-in board, run, the line input back into the center console and into the Belkin AutoKit for iPod which gets power from the in-console outlet to my ipod and provides a line out. This has resulted in beautiful output from the iPod -thanks jazzy!

For the XM, I hardwired an accessory outlet from RS (cut off the clips for later use) into the ashtray outlet for the Roady2's power adapter and hid the power adapter behind the dash. The XM radio antenna is sitting inside on my rear deck next to brake light. Because I was already very happy with the sound quality of the Roady's FM transmitter and that I couldn't find a 1/8" stereo cable with a small right angle plug to connect to the Roady line out to share the Jazzy Aux-in, I kept it using FM transmission. Luckily, the same cable for the XM antenna also serves as the FM transmitter antenna and by sitting it on the rear deck next to the LGT's in glass FM antenna in combination with its length, I get very clear sound.

Overall I'm very pleased with the outcome of my audio setup especially given the limitations of the stock stereo setup. Now if SOA will get their act together and offer a Dual DIN face with climate controls, I'd be ready to jump on an AVIC-D1 or similar to integrate the XM, iPod control, nav, etc into one unit. But until then, this works great!

Nice those look good, maybe a little too much red light :) going on in the cabin but still fits in nicely.

Plus, I just got an offer from XM for a discounted Delphi Road Ready 2 for $24.99. (I guess with the troubles the Co. had they are clearing out the product)

I don't really mind paying more for one with better features as long as it works & looks good, but the size of this one is nice.

Thanks for the input.

ps. Jazzymt are you still on Back order for your Mod Board. I'll prob go that route until I can pick up a JL Cleansweep.

Since my those installation pictures I have installed Jazzymt's aux-in board, run, the line input back into the center console and into the Belkin AutoKit for iPod which gets power from the in-console outlet to my ipod and provides a line out. This has resulted in beautiful output from the iPod -thanks jazzy!

You aren't having any problems with the AutoKit? I have tried two of them now and have had a serious cut out problem with both of them. Are you using a ground loop isolator between the kit and Jazzy's board?

Iv'e got the Roady2 hooked up with an fm mod. I like it alot. only 2 drop outs on my commute, but that's because of where I live. (Hilly area). I haven't switched over to that second bracket, but plan to do so soon. I'm using the bracket I bought with my skyfi and using velcro to keep the roady on it. No issues with knees hitting though
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

kristian,

I saw your posts on the problems you've been having with the cut-outs. Actually I haven't had a single problem. I didn't install a GLI and sound is still clear as a bell, no whining on revs or anything. I just have a cheapy 6' RS 1/8" stereo cable from jazzy's board to the Autokit. Though will you agree that its very annoying having the cable exit the dock connector at 90° and on the wrong side no less?

C-lo, yeah, within about 35 miles in any direction of richmond, I never get drop outs since the Terrestrial coverage is great and typically the signal is stronger than the SAT signal.

Here's what I ended up with to install the Roady2 into the upper cubby. Roady2's are really cheap these days since the RoadyXT is out now.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17253&page=2

Using the Roady 2 with the Delphi FM direct adapter + antenna patch cables from Metra really helped with the sound quality.

Any one out there have any advice for a XM unit.

Iv'e seen the Clean Sirius installs but not much on the XM side.

I already have an acct with XM & i'm about to pick up my new 05 LGT.

What Sounds the best, fits the best, looks the best, & matches the interior colors the best? ect...

Drop the account with Clear Channel Communications...I mean XM, and go to Sirius since you've said you've seen the clean Sirius installs already. Plus Sirius has better sports and radio programming anyway. Just a thought.

Nice those look good, maybe a little too much red light :) going on in the cabin but still fits in nicely.

Plus, I just got an offer from XM for a discounted Delphi Road Ready 2 for $24.99. (I guess with the troubles the Co. had they are clearing out the product)

I don't really mind paying more for one with better features as long as it works & looks good, but the size of this one is nice.

Thanks for the input.

ps. Jazzymt are you still on Back order for your Mod Board. I'll prob go that route until I can pick up a JL Cleansweep.

Well, if you get tired of the sea of red, the Roady2 can change to several other colors too - Light blue, Blue, Green, Orange, Pink, Purple & Red...and it comes with other color faceplates too. I'm not sure if it has any less features than other radios, I just know it's fairly inexpensive compared to others (they were giving it away free for awhile with other ones).

And yea, I'm still backordered boards...the list is growing. I'm hoping they'll finish the PCB's this week though & can start sending them out soon.

mmm_def - that is an awesome install! Did you do it your self? I have an Xm Commander I want to place in the same location. However, it looks like the plastic behind the ashtray lid would prevent it. Any insights are appriciated!

Cheers,

Ryan

Thanks for the compliments. I did have it in the cubby, but now I have the STI gauges there so it was moved to the ashtray.

Unfortunately I did not do the install I had my stereo guy do it, as you can see he does excellent work. What I do know is he removed all the ashtray stuff inside, the bin and the plug, everything and then made a mount. He said "Once I start to install this there is no turning back". The ashtray and door come as one piece, $110 from Subaru so if you go at it keep that in mind.

I don't know the exact model #, but it is pioneer and is the original unit which is not sold anymore. There is a smaller unit coming out in a few months.

Thanks for the info jazzymt. I should pick up the car sometime next week (hopefully :) ) & I'll get a feel of how the interior flows.

Anybody try mounting one above the rear view mirror?

Would the signal fade at all from the distance in wires it would take to run it up there? Maybe too bright? (just some thoughts)

I had a boost controller mounted where the sun shade thing used to be on my Rex. Worked out fine.

I figure I’ll get one with a remote, so mounting location could be pretty much visually based.

But the trap door ashtray mount is pretty slick too, if I can find an XM unit that small that I like, I think I might take a bite off your idea. Thanks :)

Archived