LegacyGT.com

Help: I broke my friend's Subie

In my infinite lack of wisdom, I attempted to do a dirt spin in my friends 2004 Subaru WRX with 111k miles. He recently purchased it from the second owner with a downpipe, upgraded clutch, and raised springs. After about the third rotation, I heard a clash and feared that I had broken first gear. Fortunately the transmission was fine, however I broke something in between the front differential and the front drivers side wheel. When I lifted that wheel and turned it, the wheel turned making a lot of metallic noise, however the CV axle did not turn. This leads me to believe that either the hub or the CV axle or both broke. We limped the car back at 30 mph. The front right wheel made a clunking noise the entire way which got worse when turning left and sometimes started to seize which was fixed by turning left and right.

What do you think the problem is?

What parts will I need to fix it?

I feel really bad that I broke my friends car hooning and I want to fix it as soon as possible.

I know this is not a WRX forum, but in my experience you all are the most knowledgeable and this is a pretty universal issue.

"drive shaft" = the metal rod that connects CV joints

"CV axle" = the entire unit

"CV joint" the outer component of the CV axle

:D

okay, yeah if we're going by the books, lol

ive only ever bought it as a whole unit anyways haha

cv axle and hub are both easy but you owe your buddy $100-200 depending on what needs done.

I'm doing the repair myself so I will be paying. Lol. Its $95 for a rebuild with $50 core charge that I will be picking up in Denver tomorrow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk2

If you broke it while doing that, it was on its way out. Tell your friend he owes you one since you're the reason it won't snap on him in a torrential downpour 50 miles from home, lol.

Perhaps, but this is the policy we have when borrowing each others cars. I sometimes let him drive my 94 rx-7 with the same rule so I think its fair.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Perhaps, but this is the policy we have when borrowing each others cars. I sometimes let him drive my 94 rx-7 with the same rule so I think its fair.

Oh, I wasn't calling him an asshole or anything for making you fix it. If that's how you guys do things, that's fine I suppose. I'm just saying you probably DID do him a favor by breaking it at a non-critical point in time.

Oh, I wasn't calling him an asshole or anything for making you fix it. If that's how you guys do things, that's fine I suppose. I'm just saying you probably DID do him a favor by breaking it at a non-critical point in time.

I didn't think you were calling him an asshole, I was just trying to explain why I was fixing it. And yes, you are completely right, but that is something I will tell him after his car is driveable again. :)

Busting your balls for breaking his car!

Hahaha. Understood. :)

I'm doing the repair myself so I will be paying. Lol. Its $95 for a rebuild with $50 core charge that I will be picking up in Denver tomorrow.

Classic - if you break it you fix it.

If you take it down you shall definitely look at the wheel bearing at the same time to make sure that it's OK. A lot easier to change before you assemble the whole thing.

453747.png

Classic - if you break it you fix it.

If you take it down you shall definitely look at the wheel bearing at the same time to make sure that it's OK. A lot easier to change before you assemble the whole thing.

How can I tell if the bearings are OK?

Life that car off the ground, and with your hands at 12 and 6, shake the tire back and forth looking for any play. You can also remove the wheel and listing for any noise coming from the bearing. Remember, though, the axle end need to be completely bolted to the hub for the bearing to be held together correctly. Otherwise, there will always be play. So, pull the axle shaft out of the VC joint, as well as the other broken pieces, and then spin the spindle.

How can I tell if the bearings are OK?

Honestly you'll probably have to drive it after the new axle is in and decided. If it sounds like you need a wheel bearing... Those are like $120 for the assembly?

Also inspect the bearing itself - if you have traces of rust then it's a sign that it's closing in on end of life.

And rotate the bearings with your finger, it shall be a smooth feeling. If it feels "bumpy" or there's a noise then it's also on it's way.

If you can inspect the bearing surfaces you can also get a good indication of if it's time or not.

Aged grease is also a telltale of a risk of a bearing getting bad. Cleaning out and using fresh grease may be sufficient.

453747.png

Archived