LegacyGT.com

rims with 42mm offset

magenois

I have a very good deal on RST 237 wheels. I intend to use them as winter wheels. They are 17x7 +42mm offset. My winter tires are stock size (215/45/17) and as of now my car is stock but I just ordered a set of ION Springs so the car will eventually be lowered.

After a few search here in the forum I found out that according to one of the sticky post 42mm offset should fit however I have found many thread where there is very negative comments about being this far off the stock 55mm offset.

honestly I am not very knowledgeable with regards to the impact this could have on the car or it's handling so I am looking for some advice.

the deal on the rims is really good (50% off) so It would make sense ecnomically for winter wheels.

so, should I go for them?

thanks for your advice!

Marc

42mm offset will not fit without spacers. You really do need 48 or higher.

if you add spacer to 42, the offset will be even lower, and would make it even harder to fit. I think you got your offset direction the other way around. For example, 5mm spacer on a 42 wheel = 37mm offset.

There's plenty of clearance...I had 18x7.0 with +42 offset (with 225/40/18's) and the front and rear never rubbed...I also removed the weather stripping on the wheel wheel (give you 4-5mm more clearance)..but that's my car :D (might be different on yours)
In Taiwan now...:spin:

What?!

Please people, read the wheel FAQ about wheel fitments. Thank you

Thanks for the reply Xenonk

I have read the FAQ and made searches. From the start my understanding was that they would fit, no problem, like you mention in your FAQ.

However, my question was around the handling change or change in "steering feeling" with this offset being 13mm off the OEM offset. It is not mentionned in the FAQ and I have seen posts with negative comments about the topic but nothing concise.

I was looking for a confirmation that there would be no other problems.

thanks

Marc

Marc,

I'm running on 38 offset for my 17s and I have not noticed any pros or cons by going lower or having the wheels further apart, at least I dont notice them.

But im also curious in knowing if this will put more stress towards the suspension?

However, my question was around the handling change or change in "steering feeling" with this offset being 13mm off the OEM offset. It is not mentionned in the FAQ and I have seen posts with negative comments about the topic but nothing concise.

I was looking for a confirmation that there would be no other problems.

thanks

Marc

It should give your car more stability, but most people (unless you are a real high performance driver) would even notice the wider stance.. most people over drive the car to even notice, let alone take advantage of the wider stance.

The negative comment you will get is fender rubbing issues and the typical mechanical wheel bearing wear issue (which is really a load of crap when I chose the offsets that retain as much of the stock scrub radius as well as keeping the wheel bearing loads near stock as possible).

In your case, you have nothing to worry about. Just torque your lugs evenly and correctly.

Keefe

Marc,

I'm running on 38 offset for my 17s and I have not noticed any pros or cons by going lower or having the wheels further apart, at least I dont notice them.

But im also curious in knowing if this will put more stress towards the suspension?

it's not the offset and rim height issue, it's the offset and rim WIDTH issue you should look at.

Keefe

Okay just ignore what I say I don't know what I'm talking about I guess. When I had the same question on 42mm offset I was told the exact opposite so I give up. I'm glad those rims will work for you and I'm pissed that I passed up a deal on 17x7s with 42mm offset a couple months back.

Okay just ignore what I say I don't know what I'm talking about I guess. When I had the same question on 42mm offset I was told the exact opposite so I give up. I'm glad those rims will work for you and I'm pissed that I passed up a deal on 17x7s with 42mm offset a couple months back.

please read my FAQ, it works and I am sure many people here trust my numbers.

the stock GT wheel is already 17x7 with +55mm offset.. that 17x7 +42mm offset rim you are looking at is the same thing as a stock wheel with a 13mm spacer (close to 1/2" spacer) added on to the car.

+53 - +42 = 13mm difference.. spacers push rims out, hence that '-' you see there.

Hope that makes sense.

Keefe

Archived