LegacyGT.com

Mystery Brake Fluid Loss

a89aries

97 Legacy GT

For the last 2 months I have been loosing my brake fluid at a very slow pace (every three weeks the light will come on and I will have to top up my reservoir). There has been no effect on the braking in the car, no squishy peddle or loss in performance.

The car just got out of the shop where they say the only place they can see any oils on the bottom of my car is down the side of the fuel tank. Has anyone ever experienced a slow brake fluid leak from that area of the car? To be honest I am baffled and so is the shop. The only way they can look at these lines is to drop the drive shaft and tank. I just had them de grease the oil stains they saw and will climb under myself in a few days to see if I can trace the leak.

When ever I have had any hydraulic leaks relating to the brakes was due to rust where a small hole would turn into a giant stream after just 2 or three stops.

Open to any and all ideas right now?

Drop the driveshaft and tank to LOOK for brake line leaks?

Which planet are they on?

Any shop with a lift can do this in the air.

Try the usual leak detections .

Park the car over clean cardboard, pump your brakes . Check.

If no spots, check one caliper at a time for a leaking piston seal. Just look at the pads to see if they're either wet or been burning oil.

O.

Trying to avoid having to drop the tank and driveshaft. That looks like a very time consuming and difficult job. Will crawl under on the weekend and check the tank, then check the pads and calipers for oil. Will hopefully know more at that point.

So tonight I crawled under and checked it out, fluid is leaking badly down the side of the fuel tank. What I'm going to do is unhook the shorter of the two old lines, and then run a new line in a more convenient place. If the leak goes away I can assume that the replaced line was the problem and I am good to go. If not then I will be replacing the line that runs to the far side.

• 4 months later...

You may be burning it off, how hard are you on your brakes?

Usually when you have a leak, the hole gets bigger and then you fail to stop and hit something.

I am guessing you arent using trees and signs to stop, so try bleeding all the old piss factory brake fluid out and put in higher temp brake fluid.

Archived