LegacyGT.com

DDM HID Installed on 2007 2.5i Ltd.

nicoboco

I'm not a frequent poster, but I do read through the forums pretty frequently.

Recently, one of my headlights went out. The logical thing to do at this point was obviously to buy and HID kit. :rolleyes:

I ordered my kit from DDM-Tuning. Under 100 bucks for 2 H7 kits, one for my Legacy, and one for my 2003 CBR600RR. 5000K, 35w H7.

(I did NOT use an extra wiring harness). The install took me 2 hours, for a couple of reasons. I've never replaced a bulb in my Legacy, and because I live in an apartment complex where I had to go up and down the elevator for a few thigns (taking out the dust caps, drilling, etc etc... it was too cold to do it outside). I hate not having alot of room to work with. Everything seemed so tight. It just seemed like I had to reach into the most uncomfortable places.

I first cut the infamous blue/black wire to disable the DRL's. Took the dust caps out, used a 1" drill bit to make the holes. Installing the bulbs was quite uncomfortable for me. Taping up the connectors was probably my most difficult task because the black/pink wires do not have much length to them, forcing me to reach down with one hand trying to tape those darn things up.

I am happy with the result. But I do have one concern: I don't know if the rubber grommets that are supplied with the DDM kit are enough to keep moisture out of the housing. Should I be going back and sealing it with something? If so, what should I use?

Anyhow, here are pics:

It's actually not as blue as the picture makes it seem like. My iPhone couldn't really capture the true color.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_5YhL1X_doB4/SzojcPso2oI/AAAAAAAAABc/tCdxzDyh4SI/s640/New%20Picture.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_5YhL1X_doB4/SzojcO1JWLI/AAAAAAAAABg/BDQdzwKCpPw/s640/New%20Picture%20%281%29.jpg

Here's a more accurate representation of the white color.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_5YhL1X_doB4/SzojcRDmIfI/AAAAAAAAABk/3LkfPqecp7g/s640/New%20Picture%20%282%29.jpg

Looks good. I just installed the DDM 6000k 55w kit on my car, but haven't taken any pics yet. I really like it. The light that HID throws just looks really nice. It makes the Legacy feel like a higher end car. This is a mod that is absolutely worth the money and very easy to install.

I love the SWP. You should do something about that grille and then throw a lip on there.

Thanks. I bet the 6k 55w is bright as anything. Would love to see pics on that.

Honestly, I've thought about some exterior mods to make my car look less...plain? But I know not enough about Legacy exterior mods. I thought about a lip, and also thought about a SpecB JDM conversion.

Being a 2.5i non GT, I have less incentive for performance mods (though I never ruled it out). It's a slow ride, without a doubt.

Any suggestions on exterior/basic engine upgrades are welcome.

Nick

Here are mine.

All appearance mods for the LGT will work for your 2.5i. There are a ton of options. There are some beautiful N/A Legacies on the forum. Turbo or not they are very pretty cars. Happy modding. :)

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj457/erictankel/SDC10566.jpg

I'm not a frequent poster, but I do read through the forums pretty frequently.

Recently, one of my headlights went out. The logical thing to do at this point was obviously to buy and HID kit. :rolleyes:

I ordered my kit from DDM-Tuning. Under 100 bucks for 2 H7 kits, one for my Legacy, and one for my 2003 CBR600RR. 5000K, 35w H7.

(I did NOT use an extra wiring harness). The install took me 2 hours, for a couple of reasons. I've never replaced a bulb in my Legacy, and because I live in an apartment complex where I had to go up and down the elevator for a few thigns (taking out the dust caps, drilling, etc etc... it was too cold to do it outside). I hate not having alot of room to work with. Everything seemed so tight. It just seemed like I had to reach into the most uncomfortable places.

I first cut the infamous blue/black wire to disable the DRL's. Took the dust caps out, used a 1" drill bit to make the holes. Installing the bulbs was quite uncomfortable for me. Taping up the connectors was probably my most difficult task because the black/pink wires do not have much length to them, forcing me to reach down with one hand trying to tape those darn things up.

I am happy with the result. But I do have one concern: I don't know if the rubber grommets that are supplied with the DDM kit are enough to keep moisture out of the housing. Should I be going back and sealing it with something? If so, what should I use?

Anyhow, here are pics:

It's actually not as blue as the picture makes it seem like. My iPhone couldn't really capture the true color.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_5YhL1X_doB4/SzojcPso2oI/AAAAAAAAABc/tCdxzDyh4SI/s640/New%20Picture.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_5YhL1X_doB4/SzojcO1JWLI/AAAAAAAAABg/BDQdzwKCpPw/s640/New%20Picture%20%281%29.jpg

Here's a more accurate representation of the white color.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_5YhL1X_doB4/SzojcRDmIfI/AAAAAAAAABk/3LkfPqecp7g/s640/New%20Picture%20%282%29.jpg

I was just talking with a buddy of mine who put this set in his Cherokee and recommended them to me. he said it took him 5 minutes to install his.

Was NOT using the wiring harness the reason why it took so long? The 35W 6000 color kit looks real nice.

Looks good. I just installed the DDM 6000k 55w kit on my car, but haven't taken any pics yet. I really like it. The light that HID throws just looks really nice. It makes the Legacy feel like a higher end car. This is a mod that is absolutely worth the money and very easy to install.

I love the SWP. You should do something about that grille and then throw a lip on there.

E-Tank,

I was told to be careful that the casing was not too small because the 55W can get hot. Have you had any issues with heat? I drive some dark roads at night and the brighter the better for me.

I was just talking with a buddy of mine who put this set in his Cherokee and recommended them to me. he said it took him 5 minutes to install his.

Was NOT using the wiring harness the reason why it took so long? The 35W 6000 color kit looks real nice.

The reason it took so long is that I was going back and forth from my apartment to the garage downstairs to drill amongst other things. Honestly, the hardest part was reaching down to tape the wires after everything was in. Getting the bulb in there/drilling/wiring everything was cake. I also found some ok spots for the ballasts, but zip-tying them was a chore too.

E-Tank,

I was told to be careful that the casing was not too small because the 55W can get hot. Have you had any issues with heat? I drive some dark roads at night and the brighter the better for me.

They don't seem to cause any excessive amount of heat and I haven't had any issues yet. I was expecting them to be a bit more blue. Apparently the 55w washes some of the color out of them, which I actually like. My 6000ks are identical to the ones in my friend's Escalade. I like them looking stock and not rice.

E-Tank/Bad Chariot

55W units shouldn't cause any issues in our H7 housings - there's a bit of heat, but it should not exceed that of even the 65W up-level incandescent replacements/upgrades that many are fond of. Quite a number of BL/BP owners have used the 55W setups, with no reported issues over the last 3 to 4 years.

What's more, a little heat is good - it helps self-defrost, particularly if you live in a wintry-precip. area. ;)

Like E-Tank said, the 55W units will "wash-out" color a bit, but it'll push things towards the "whiter" side of things, so it's somewhat better for visibility, if not exactly for those who are seeking the bluish tint for aesthetics.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Thanks to all for the responses. I have read a mixed bag of reviews on the DDM kit, I do not want to spend $150.00+ for a kit. There are several ones out there at $79.99. I have only seen 2 brand names mentioned in the various threads. Are there any other companies I should research?

Mike

Archived