LegacyGT.com

6th Gen Tuning Thread

Let me start off by saying I have no idea how tunes work, yet.

I am really curious if there is a way to set the CVT so that there are 8 false gears instead of 6. Does anyone have any thoughts on if this would improve anything?

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am all for modding cars but I am not going to mess with my Legacy. There just isn't a track record with the new 2nd Gen CVT

The 2nd gen CVT is an improvement over the 1st gen which already has a stellar track record established, so no need to worry about it. I would simply make sure to change the CVT fluid at sane intervals, depending on your driving habits. I plan on doing so on the wife's Outback at the 100K mark.

and if I really want to drive something reasonably quick, I'll break out the 2002 Acura CL Type S

Aye, but I bet you're wishing it was not FWD ;)

Before I came to the awd world I had a 250hp Nissan Altima, and FWD sucked.

if you want good acceleration, it is a combination of engine power, ability of the trans to effectively put the power down, and how good the tires/suspension are....

... and not being FWD

But I digress.

Tigger is not using his opinion to put down other people on this thread, so he is not being offensive nor rude towards other forum members.

Point taken.

Edited by fishbone

You can see that the G-tech probably doesn't quite capture the precise start of the run, however it is pretty consistent so if you're just comparing the relative numbers then it's a valid comparison.

Thank you for sharing.

And you know what? Even if some mods add zero power, if they improve drivability, they are worth it. When one of my TGV banks failed, I had two choices: replace the motor or pay $$$ to pull them and have them ported/polished. Everyone told me not to go that route because it's not worth it as it doesn't add power. I don't know if it did because I never put it on a dyno, but it did improve overall throttle response and the way it accelerates. Was it worth spending however many hundred bucks it cost more? Yep!

So if you say your tune and mods improved throttle response and that you're happy, I have no reason to doubt that.

I am really curious if there is a way to set the CVT so that there are 8 false gears instead of 6. Does anyone have any thoughts on if this would improve anything?

This would involve reprogramming the CVT. I'm not sure it's going to help that much. Some of the problems of having too many gears is the transmission "hunting" between gears to find the sweet spot.

If you were going to do it then I wouldn't stop at 8 gears I'd reprogram it for 10 and have some bragging rights ;):lol:

The CVT is at its best when it's left to its own devices. Adding more pre-programmed points that act as gears defeats the purpose of having an infinitely variable transmission that is able to select the optimum RPMs depending on circumstances.

The 2nd gen CVT is an improvement over the 1st gen which already has a stellar track record established, so no need to worry about it. I would simply make sure to change the CVT fluid at sane intervals, depending on your driving habits. I plan on doing so on the wife's Outback at the 100K mark.

Aye, but I bet you're wishing it was not FWD ;)

Before I came to the awd world I had a 250hp Nissan Altima, and FWD sucked.

... and not being FWD

But I digress.

What I meant by track record is no real history of tuning it and getting a solid knowledge base of how it handles being tweaked

While it would be nice, FWD really does not distract from the FUN factor of the CL-S but after 15 years and 140K miles it's time to put it out to pasture as those 5AT units don't seem to last...

Thank you for sharing.

And you know what? Even if some mods add zero power, if they improve drivability, they are worth it. When one of my TGV banks failed, I had two choices: replace the motor or pay $$$ to pull them and have them ported/polished. Everyone told me not to go that route because it's not worth it as it doesn't add power. I don't know if it did because I never put it on a dyno, but it did improve overall throttle response and the way it accelerates. Was it worth spending however many hundred bucks it cost more? Yep!

So if you say your tune and mods improved throttle response and that you're happy, I have no reason to doubt that.

Yes I mainly ran the dynos and GPS timed runs so I could gauge the improvements as I made them.

I'm not claiming any "official" figures. The tests I ran were so that I could quantify the improvements, and was something that I could do without a major cash outlay.

It's a little more scientific than a bum dyno but if you're wanting to compare my numbers to official manufacturers figures unless you use the same test setup under the same conditions you really aren't comparing apples with apples.

That's why I ran stock figures for all the tests that I was looking to do so that I had a baseline for comparison.

There are gains to be had. They are reasonable. It does turn a car that was a bit doughy into something a bit livelier. Though I agree if you want a sports sedan you really do need to start with a different base car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got my first tune from TH about a week or two ago. Before I give you my review, let me say this:

EVERY SINGLE PERSON THAT HAS A LEGACY NEEDS TO GET HIS TUNE. :spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin:

Ok, now for serious business. This tune causes the car to behave how I hoped the car would before I bought it. The Legacy is by no means a racecar, no matter how hard I try to make it one :D but I did expect a quick, agile, "luxury" Subaru. I think we can all agree the Legacy is really comfortable, so the "luxury" part is covered. I think we can also all agree on the fact that this car is slow enough to lose in a race against an old woman. :lol:

Matt's tune really brought a lot of life to this car. The car whips a little more on the throttle, it has some more oomph, and can actually hang with its peers on the highway. I also get some better economy on the highway.

I think my favorite part about working with Matt is that he will continue to send you retunes as he learns more about the car. Talk about value? Eventually after the lot of retunes have been dished out, each tune will probably have costed 40USD, but will be worth a crap ton more. Also keep in mind, the more 6th genners that support him, and work with him, the more information he can pull out from our systems.

I say everyone gets on board and dishes out the money for this tune, whether you want to use it to go faster, or get better mileage, I promise you, you will fall in love all over again.

Edited by Dr. Photo

I forgot to add! A week after getting my first tune, I got two different versions of a retune emailed to me. I drove around for 20 minutes on the original tune, stopped, pulled out my laptop, uploaded version 1a, then drove around for another 20 minutes, then uploaded 1b, and drove around for another 20 minutes. It takes about 2 minutes to upload each tune.

C'mon guys, it doesn't get better than this!!!

I forgot to add! A week after getting my first tune, I got two different versions of a retune emailed to me. I drove around for 20 minutes on the original tune, stopped, pulled out my laptop, uploaded version 1a, then drove around for another 20 minutes, then uploaded 1b, and drove around for another 20 minutes. It takes about 2 minutes to upload each tune.

C'mon guys, it doesn't get better than this!!!

How did you get ahold of Matt? I tried Pming him on here and he didnt reply

Pm me the details

Thanks!

@BeastCoast1

Im all for a little more oomph...Details for me as well. if all i need to pay is $40 bux count me in! any other details to share would be amazing.

The initial cost is more than that, I was just speculating that after all the tunes he may end up sending you, the cost you pay once, will end up covering each of those many retunes.