LegacyGT.com

Instrument panel replacement

I just took my Legacy into the dealer after I had an electrical issue last night. The fuel gauge failed on me, the check engine light came on, and the cruise control light started flashing. When I turned off the engine and restarted it, the fuel gauge came back online, but the other dash lights were still on. Same thing this morning at about 7 am. Then, when I started the car to take it to the dealer at around 8 am, the indicators had cleared. I figured I should still have it looked at. They tell me there was a spike from the fuel sending unit, and they want to replace the instrument cluster. Anyone here ever have a similar issue? I get nervous when they start playing with the dash and instruments - hope they don't cause more electrical problems than they solve, or cause dash rattles.

This is the second time I've had to get warranty work done on the car. Almost a year ago the a/c condenser had to be replaced. I've also gone through one windshield thus far. And I try to baby my car! Sometimes I think cars are more trouble than they're worth!

I'd have them change the sending unit...but if they change the instrument cluster the car will be flagged as having a tampered odometer as the new cluster will have zero miles.

Have them check for an available ECU reflash...IIRC there was one that addressed this issue.

+1 on what Opie said as I have seen the same. I wouldn't even attempt replacing the cluster this early in the game.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

agreed with blackfang. The cluster is a lot more than just gauges in our cars. Although we have an ECU and BCU the gauge cluster has a lot of duties beyond just showing you how fast you're going etc.

We noticed when doing testing on the info center that the gauge cluster was basically feeding the device its information.

that being said, it wont be the end of the world to replace.. but.. you will have to have current mileage programmed into it which could be expensive.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I think they're going to replace the sending unit too. I kind of assumed they'd put the mileage in the odometer. So, you think I shouldn't have them replace it? Wonder if it's too late - I think the parts are on order. As for being expensive, well, it's all warranty work.

I kind of assumed they'd put the mileage in the odometer.

Very few states have a law that forces new odometers to be "programmed" with the correct mileage, most just require a sticker in the door jam to indicate the odometer is not correct...and the VIN is flagged. Not a good thing down the road (i.e. trade in, resale, etc)

Very few states have a law that forces new odometers to be "programmed" with the correct mileage, most just require a sticker in the door jam to indicate the odometer is not correct...and the VIN is flagged. Not a good thing down the road (i.e. trade in, resale, etc)

Wow, definitely do not want that done. I will certainly make sure that's not the case before any work is done.

Grr...now they say they can't program the newer odometers, so I won't have the correct reading. That sucks, but they say it needs to be done...

However, the service dept at another dealer (the one where I bought the car) doesn't necessarily agree. The guy I spoke with didn't seem to think replacing the instrument cluster was a good idea. I'd like to have them look at it for a second opinion, knowing what I do, before I devalue the car.

Grr...now they say they can't program the newer odometers, so I won't have the correct reading. That sucks, but they say it needs to be done...

However, the service dept at another dealer (the one where I bought the car) doesn't necessarily agree. The guy I spoke with didn't seem to think replacing the instrument cluster was a good idea. I'd like to have them look at it for a second opinion, knowing what I do, before I devalue the car.

Its always nice to have a second opinion. If you end up going to the second dealer for your waranty work, the first will just send your parts back. No big deal.

MJ, any updates since you pm'd me last? Like I said, they should NOT be replacing that odometer yet, until other diagnosis show otherwise.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Just over 26,000 miles. I took it to the dealer where I bought the car, and they disagreed with the instrument cluster replacement. They didn't understand why the other dealer wanted to do that. Diagnosis was a bad fuel sending unit - they're going to replace the fuel sending unit, but that's all that's needed. Glad I went to them for a second opinion!

glad it all worked out for ya. i only saw my fuel gauge act funny once back in winter. one morning it gauge read that i had half a tank when i remembered it was a little above first quarter, i was like wtf? then when heading back from the store the gauge was back at the first quarter tank. no issues since. it was a cold morning so i don't know if it had anything to do with it. just hope i don't have any issues. sucks if i do, my warranty is almost up cause i'm at ~35,500 miles.

glad it all worked out for ya. i only saw my fuel gauge act funny once back in winter. one morning it gauge read that i had half a tank when i remembered it was a little above first quarter, i was like wtf? then when heading back from the store the gauge was back at the first quarter tank. no issues since. it was a cold morning so i don't know if it had anything to do with it. just hope i don't have any issues. sucks if i do, my warranty is almost up cause i'm at ~35,500 miles.

My advise would be to purchase an extended warranty. Can be done with SOA up untill 35,999 miles and definitly worth the money. IMO

well i just hit 36000 this past weekend. i never really needed any warranty work on my past subaru's so i never got extended warranties. i just do all the regular maintenance and repair; the more difficult stuff i take to a local subaru mechanic.

so when my fuel gauge goes dead, then it's the fuel sending unit?

Most likely it will be the sending unit. Sometimes, you may also get a CEL if the sending unit is acting up as well.

Archived