LegacyGT.com

Moving front LGT brakes to the rear

azca

Is it possible to use the front LGT brakes (rotors/calipers/pads/lines etc) in the rear? An example would be having aftermarket bigger brakes in the front and LGT's own front brakes in the rear.

Any thoughts?

Might conceivably work, but think there will be issues with the calipers mounting up in the rear without an adapter. Also, no rear drum in the Legacy front rotors for the rear e-Brake shoes, unless you don't care about losing your e-brake/parking brake's functionality.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

racing brake makes a larger rotor kit for the rear that retains the stock rear caliper. this makes the rear rotor diameter the same as the front.

I believe you meant, retains the stock rear parking brake setup. Correct?

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

that doesn't sound like it will give much better braking results though. It looks like we need to go with completely different rear brakes (like Brembos)

it retains the rear park brake and rear caliper. the kit is a larger rotor and caliper bracket only. you use your stock rear style pads with your stock rear calipers.

AZCA, have you upgraded your fronts yet?

Currently I am running 316mm rear rotors (RB kit) w/ the OEM 316mm fronts and there's a pretty big difference in downhill braking and high speed braking compared to the OEM 290mm *I believe 290mm* rears...

Granted if you are looking to get dual (or higher) piston calipers such as what the front has.... well, then this post is pointless. :lol:

The RB rear kit w/ simple pads, lines, fluids is pretty nice imo. I'm always up in the canyons and mountains, so those multi-mile all downhill roads are the reason I did the upgrade :) - it's also almost 70/30 F/R bias. (I think something like .2% - .4% difference F/R)

brian

I have upgraded brakes all around (same calipers), aftermarket everything else. Brakes are great but I just got bigger 18" PFF7 wheels (from 17"), so I can go with bigger brakes all around later.

that doesn't sound like it will give much better braking results though. It looks like we need to go with completely different rear brakes (like Brembos)

It does give the LGT perfect brake bias. Unless you are traking the car, ther is no need to upgrade the calipers. There is a thread that contains brake bias and force data on this site. I suggest you read it.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30088

According to the data in that thread, with pads being equal, factory LGT brakes with the racing brake larger rotor kit for the rear has better bias and more braking force than the sti brembo setup.

Archived