LegacyGT.com

Gauge Readings: what is the "norm" for our cars?

Gator GT

Oil Temp, Pres and EGT

First off, I'm not sure if this thread belongs in the Int/Aud forum or the Turbo Performance forum, so mods, please, treat accordingly.

Second, I performed several searches for gauge readings, oil temp press and egt and all I came up with were Boost gauge reading issues and oil & EGT gauge install inquiries, among others that proved not to be relevent to my search.

About 3 weeks ago, I installed a set of STRI DSD 52mm electric gauges and have been paying attention to them, trying to get a sense of what is usual for my car at the stage I'm at (MR CBE).

The Oil sensors are installed at the filter location with a Greddy sandwich adapter. The EGT probe is installed 2" below the head at the #4 discharge.

Here is what I've found so far (all units are in Imperial/US):

Oil Temperature (deg F):

- it takes about 10 minutes to start registering on the gauge, which starts at 120*

- 170* for warm, easy going driving

- 190* for more spirited driving

Oil Pressure (psi):

- 90-100 cold idle

- 80 warmed driving

- 20 warmed idle

EGT (deg F):

- 900* idle

- 1200* regular driving

- 1400* harder driving (ie: flat out acceleration on a highway ramp)

Is this what those of you who have the same functioning gauges have experienced?

Thoughts?

Observations?

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Thanks J.R.

This is my Boost:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/g8rauctioner/Subaru/boostandknock.jpg

Here is where my Oil and EGT gauges are:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/g8rauctioner/Subaru/ashandcupholderopened.jpg

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

I only have a EGT and boost on my 08' LGT.

EGT I see about 1200-1300F on initial startup when the airpump thing is running, then itll drop down and idle around 800-900F. My max temp hit in my car while on the highway when i was boosting in 5th gear was just under 1600F.

I see -22 vaccum on boost gauge when idle. max out just under 14 psi. in S or S# mode. peak boost of 6psi in I mode.

BTW how did you mount ur passport mute button in the ash tray? Im guessing its hardwired, do u have pics on how to do it?

Bbc84 - It is hardwired. I don't have pics. I snuck the wires between the ashtray and the cover door. I then notched the ashtray (hidden in picture above) just enough to wedge the wires in there to have them "flush" with the edge of the ashtray, so it'll close properly.

I then used 1 small piece of velcro on the bottom of the mute button and wedged it into the ashtray. I can close it for perfect concealment.

PM'ing you for other potential pics.

I would have never thought to mount the gauges in the cupholder :)

My boost is in about the same spot, just a little more to the right, behind the wiper stalk. I wish there was a better place to mount the gauges in the Spec B.

J.R. - believe me, I ran through the gauntlet of ideas of where to place them.

- on top of the dash, center stage was out due to 2 reasons: 1. NAV screen directly below (no screws into the dash) 2. I didn't want unwanted attention to my car because of gauge humps

- A-pillar? no go...there is an air bag in there....don't need those flying around along with everything else that gets jarred loose during an accident.

- in the gauge cluster area - just not enough "dead space" to mount them.

In regards to the boost gauge, I tried to cover the least amount of instrument cluster and still be able to see the TPMS and Cruise idiot lights. I think Air Bag is down there too.

If I get another gauge (either A/F or Aquamist HFS gauge), I'll have to relocate the TXS Knocklite.

After that.....damn, I'm just not sure!

Bump it up for EGT readings.

• 8 months later...
I only have a EGT and boost on my 08' LGT.

EGT I see about 1200-1300F on initial startup when the airpump thing is running, then itll drop down and idle around 800-900F. My max temp hit in my car while on the highway when i was boosting in 5th gear was just under 1600F.

I see -22 vaccum on boost gauge when idle. max out just under 14 psi. in S or S# mode. peak boost of 6psi in I mode.

BTW how did you mount ur passport mute button in the ash tray? Im guessing its hardwired, do u have pics on how to do it?

Well now im Stg 2, Im seeing really high EGT's not sure if its normal.

Hard pull in 4th i hit 1650-1700*F on my Prosport Gauges. I was also overboosting to like 18psi when that pull was happening. :spin:

I think it might be time for me to get dynotuned instead of the OTS Cobb Stg 2 map.

I've been watching my stock EGT readings some, and I mostly agree with what you're seeing, but 1500 is not unusual for hard driving.

Haven't been watching the oil temp/pressure at all, yet.

i think imma get oil pressure as my 3rd and final gauge. Im worried about the oil pick up tube. buf if i get that guage gonna have to relocate my boost gauge into an AVO pod in the corner. instead of my cubby pod

Archived