LegacyGT.com

halogens & HIDs burning out in less than a week

I've searched around this forum and others looking for an answer to my question so forgive me if this exact question has been addressed.

I purchased my first subaru in November, a 2005 legacy. The previous owner was the original owner and took unbelievably good care of this car. He said the only issue is the headlights go out often, he stated that he replaced the bulbs once a year. In the time that I've owned this car, almost 4 months, I've replaced the pass side bulbs twice and driver side once.

On Saturday I put in HID lights. They worked great all weekend however this morning when I started my car then turned the headlights on the pass side flickered for about 10-15 seconds before going out. Thats right, the problematic passenger side HID went out in less than 48 hours. I intend pull the pass side bulb and try it on the driver side once I'm home (zero degrees farenheit here so troubleshooting outside on my lunch won't be happening). All the threads I've read regarding subaru headlights burning out have mentioned HID's as a fix...my HID's went out even faster than my halogens. The HID ballast should be able to handle up to 50 volts so its unlikely to be a voltage problem.

tl;dr Passenger side keeps burning through bulbs at an accelerated rate even by subaru standards. (Both halogens & HID kit)

Nope, I like my DRL, why would I unplug the module?

Yes, your DRL unit will cause issues with your HIDs...

Also what brand of HIDs did you get? Most of the stuff coming out of china now is total garbage and tend to be more issues than it's worth.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Archived