LegacyGT.com

First oil change...

What do you recomend? Full synthetic? A blend or just what the owners manual suggests?

Also if you were going to take your new Subie in for general service that's had an ECU flash to TDC stage one would you unmarry and go back to stock? :)

Before the 'noob burns' start flying I did read the whole "Subaru Pronouncement on synth oil" but the question seems to be unanswered.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any kind of good oil is fine. My experience with synthetic oils is that the motor burns a lot of it up. If you change to synthetic, check your oil often.:) Other than that, its a matter of taste.
"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Any kind of good oil is fine. My experience with synthetic oils is that the motor burns a lot of it up. If you change to synthetic, check your oil often.:) Other than that, its a matter of taste.

is that true for subies only? cause im running synthetic on my G35C and

Cooper-S and they don't eat up much oil that you can really detect on the dipstick.

is that true for subies only? cause im running synthetic on my G35C and

Cooper-S and they don't eat up much oil that you can really detect on the dipstick.

Gee, I don't know! I put the best Mobil 1 in my Subie and it ate a quart in 500 miles. Went back to Dino, no problem. I just don't know! (15,000 change) And I do not push the motor!

All I know is that it ate a lot of synthetic.:confused:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Gee, I don't know! I put the best Mobil 1 in my Subie and it ate a quart in 500 miles. Went back to Dino, no problem. I just don't know! (15,000 change) And I do not push the motor!

All I know is that it ate a lot of synthetic.:confused:

i see! hummm.... im gonna put synthetic in my legacy tomorrow so i'll

need to keep a close eye on it then. thanks for the headsup. :)

how are you guys torquing down the oil filter once it's on there?

just hand tighten?

usually on my other cars, i hand tighten and then use a wrench to

give it another 1/4 turn...but there's no way an hell i can get my

regular oil wrench between those pipes...

thanks. regardless, other then that, it went fine. :)

Don't you guys read the instructions on the filters? I believe (too lazy to go to the garage) Subaru says 3/4 turn after gasket makes contact. I have seen some in the past that said 1 turn. I would be afraid of only 1/4 turn. I spin mine down by hand until the gasket touches, make a mark on the filter with a Sharpie so that when I finish with the 3/4 turn the mark faces the front of the car. I use my wrench to tighten it the 3/4 turn. Don't over tighten as you may deform the gasket and cause a leak. Always check to make sure the old gasket comes off with the old filter-had it stay on the engine once.
It is still ugly.

Don't you guys read the instructions on the filters? I believe (too lazy to go to the garage) Subaru says 3/4 turn after gasket makes contact. I have seen some in the past that said 1 turn. I would be afraid of only 1/4 turn. I spin mine down by hand until the gasket touches, make a mark on the filter with a Sharpie so that when I finish with the 3/4 turn the mark faces the front of the car. I use my wrench to tighten it the 3/4 turn. Don't over tighten as you may deform the gasket and cause a leak. Always check to make sure the old gasket comes off with the old filter-had it stay on the engine once.

it's kind of hard to mark a black oil filter with a sharpie. :lol: well, mine's a

Mobil1 filter 110.

anyway, i can't fit my oil wrench (large channel lock looking one) on it

when torquing it down due to the surrounding pipes; that's why I asked.

Car mfgs actually have a torque setting for their oil filters. If you have a cap style wrench, you could use a torque wrench. I did it once on my old Acura. I was surprised at how tight the factory requirement was.

For the record, I dry my hands and filter and then just turn it as much as I can.

For the record, I dry my hands and filter and then just turn it as much as I can.

cool. thanks for the post. i did the same. i'll check the filter in a couple

hundred miles if it loosened up a little or not, i suppose. i doubt that it'll

come loose though.

yah yah, i need to get one of those man. :lol:

both my legacy and G35C use the same filter size...

oh btw, what size is that? I want to pick one up next time

im at the auto parts store.

Don't waste your time at the auto parts stores like I did. Motorcycle shop. My post from another thread:

Took me awhile to find my post from another thread:

Quote:

Thanks again for the cycle shop idea. First one I stopped at had exactly what I wanted. Suzuki Genuine Parts, part number 09915-40611. $5.31 including MN sales tax. Metal, cap-style wrench that accepts a 3/8" socket drive. :)

This cap wrench fits the small black Subaru filter, not the larger white one.

It is still ugly.

Don't waste your time at the auto parts stores like I did. Motorcycle shop. My post from another thread:

This cap wrench fits the small black Subaru filter, not the larger white one.

thanks pillboy... you wouldn't happen to know if that small black subaru

filter is the diameter/size as the Mobil1 filters? Im running a M110 size...

i *think* they are the same size on the end ..........!!!

I have an M110 and M108 sitting on my shelf so I compared the two.

The M110 is just a tiny bit smaller than the OEM black oil filter. My cap wrench fits tight (no play at all) on the OEM oil filter but there is play on the M110. Having said that, I would still use it to remove the filter but I wouldn't use it to install it since it might damage the can.

So... the M110 clears the skid...

Archived