LegacyGT.com

My EJ25 s'ploded!

No pics yet, but my LGT locked up on me last Thursday and now my mechanic says the crank is seized for reasons unknown. The shop is looking for used engines and rebuilds. I'm wondering what else might fit. I've #searched the forum already# and found a TT EJ20 will be a nightmare to fit around the DP/turbos. Any other swap possibilities anyone knows of? Extra info: I'm running on a 5EAT platform. Thanks in advance, guys.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

• Moderators

Correct.

Edit: well, in some capacity. if you actually bought a fully functional longblock, you may not see it as being itemized but you would pay for it one way or another. Unless you're buying a used block, in which case if you can't verify the age of the timing belt that's on there you'd want to replace it anyway.

You may also need a replacement oil cooler, pan, etc if any of your bearings grenaded and sent any shrapnel through the engine--make sure everything gets cleaned up nicely.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Well that sucks, I need this thing running again for <$3k because I have some other expenses coming up. I don't want to sell it, but I may have to. If it comes down to it, I have some nice Prodrive P1's that will be sold separately. I'm finding blocks for about $1,600 and about $900 for both cylinder heads, then another buck fifty on the pump. This sucks worse the more I know.

I'm in East Tennessee, looks like Hosed county. Not very mechanically inclined, but I did just get some new vacation pics that may help. I just want it running again. It was my car, now it's the wife's ride and she won't let it go.

I'm imagining getting a motor out of an AT car with a seized crank to be more than a little frustrating.

How do you get the converter bolts out if you can't turn it?

Back to the issue at hand, new or reman short block sounds like the ticket. If you didn't get any valve damage (I'd be surprised), the heads shoudl be OK, but it's worth looking at them closely, particularly if the crank seized for oil starvation reasons.

You don't *have* to put on a new timing belt/water pump but it's a very bad idea not to, especially if you don't know the miles on the old ones.

Don't know if it'll help but I just put a new TB & water pump on my 05 LGT and the one I removed appears to have been installed recently. Yours for the asking if you want it. . . I'm in Lenoir City.

aaand if you wanna sell it, I'm interested. . . and local :-)

I'm not pulling it, that's for sure. If my mechanic can get his prices sorted and call me back, I'll have an easier time deciding. I will definitely make an offer on those parts if I can keep my car, lol. If we decide to sell, I'll let you know. I'm in Knoxville, so we're pretty close. I'd hate to think what life would be like without the LGT, though.

The water pump's a freebee. . . yours for the asking if you want it, otherwise it'll just languish away in my spare parts pile until I forget what it fits and it gets hauled off for scrap. . at which point I might get a quarter for it.

I *might* have a motor for sale. . .I just bought a wrecked 2008 LGT from Copart GA. . . like literally 30 minutes ago. Haven't brought it home yet and know nothing about whether or not it's a runner as it has no keys. Less than 70k miles. Won't be giving it away as I kinda bought the car for a swap project into a 2nd gen OB and without the motor that's not really possible, but it'll be cheaper than buying one from a yard or off car-part.com, and bonus is it's local so you can hear it run.

All of this is speculative as at this point I don't even know if it runs myself. If it got into the timing belt, all bets are off.

Throwing this out more to help a local dude with some GT parts. . . so for everybody else that might want stuff off this beastie, hold your damn horses. I'll start a proper part out thread in the classifieds when it gets to that point.

The water pump's a freebee. . . yours for the asking if you want it, otherwise it'll just languish away in my spare parts pile until I forget what it fits and it gets hauled off for scrap. . at which point I might get a quarter for it.

I *might* have a motor for sale. . .I just bought a wrecked 2008 LGT from Copart GA. . . like literally 30 minutes ago. Haven't brought it home yet and know nothing about whether or not it's a runner as it has no keys. Less than 70k miles. Won't be giving it away as I kinda bought the car for a swap project into a 2nd gen OB and without the motor that's not really possible, but it'll be cheaper than buying one from a yard or off car-part.com, and bonus is it's local so you can hear it run.

All of this is speculative as at this point I don't even know if it runs myself. If it got into the timing belt, all bets are off.

Throwing this out more to help a local dude with some GT parts. . . so for everybody else that might want stuff off this beastie, hold your damn horses. I'll start a proper part out thread in the classifieds when it gets to that point.

Good for you. Thanks for helping out a new member. :)

I appreciate the offers and I'll be eager to see what happens. Still no word from the service center on their prices. Let me know what comes of this find of yours and if you still want the shell/wheels. I'll update the post when I get new intel.

LegacyLtd,

Sorry to hear about your leggy. Like BarMan said, it CAN be done <$3k, but it won't be quick. It took me about 6 months to acquire and refresh an EJ251 (longblock). Part of the wait was due to fundage, but sometimes you have to wait for the right parts to become available at the right price. All in all (parts/fluids + required tools), I spent around $1600.

lockmedic,

Good on you sir!

Seems I can source a short block from Heuberger in Colorado for about $1,7xx shipped and cylinder heads for about $350/ea from Rams cylinder heads, ready to bolt on. Knowing I need a new timing system and water pump, looks like about $2,700 before labor to rebuild. I'm wondering if I may consider a different engine while I'm at it, but it seems the 05 came with the best that would fit, am I right?

Why do u need new heads? Just have the old ones cleaned surfaced and checked out. $150-200 total as long as no valves are bent. Timing belt kit from rockauto.com is $232 for a gates kit. Oem Subaru gasket kit $250. That's about $2400. Still gotta pay labor tho :-(

Archived