LegacyGT.com

Next time I'll just order from TireRack

RabidWombat

So I decided to take my car to the local tire place, because they're 2 blocks from my house. I called and asked about the Conti DWS, sure, no problem.

Drop the car off.

When I go to pick-up the car in the evening, the guy tells me, "Well, I got better tires and I saved you some money." They had put Conti DW on. Apparently, the DWS were damaged in shipping or something. I'm sure the DW is an excellent tire, but I bought the Subaru to go skiing, and the DW can't handle snow. The cheaper part basically amounted to the $15 delta between the DW and DWS, so not a huge deal.

I told them that I didn't want the DW, and my car is now being held somewhat hostage. If I take the car, they want to pay for the DW and they would give me a partial credit to exchange them. They can't put the old tires back on because they had a bubble and the sidewall tore during removal. So basically, I'm out a car until they can find some DWS.

For my inconvience, so far they offered me a coupon for a free oil-change. Yeah, like I'm going to trust these clowns to do an oil change....

Didn't you have to sign a statement of work prior to them taking your car? Shouldn't it say DWS on the work order?

I would be raising holy hell in that place.

Yep. The order says DWS.

I'm not sure on the what they screwed up on. They said that they had a set of DWS lined up but they were damaged in shipping (WTF?).

I don't know if they got the wrong ones initially or what. Either way they tried to pull a last minute bait and switch. Apparently, that's common around here, since a co-worker had the same thing happen to him (different shop).

I'll see what they say this afternoon...

If you did not pay them yet, tell them you will get the tires and they can keep their dw's. You did not ask them to "save you money" you asked them for "dws tires". I would ask to speak with the owner and contact a 3rd party, like the police and make a complaint so its on file.

But more than likely I would have paid someone to roll flaming tires into their shop.

I make it a habit to always go to a well known, national or regional shop for tires, never the mom and pop place down the road. The big guys can always get better prices on tires because of bulk pricing from the manufacturers and distributors. Plus, they have a franchise and customer relations to maintain. With Discount/Americas tire or one of those shops, you always have the option of getting a flat repair or balance when you are out of town.

Good luck with your dilemma. I say make them take the DW off and put on what you ordered.

Archived