LegacyGT.com

all weather rear and summer front tires ok??

SpecBGuy

so i had a metal piece stuck in my tire and could not get it patched. they told me to get hankook ventus evo which i regret now not getting it. i got hankook ventus v2 concept (all weather) for my rears since i didnt want only one tire to be different brand.

my question is should i change the fronts too or just leave it? my bridgestones have good amount of meat on them? i didnt get the ventus evo cuz im on a budget which i should of gotten and didnt think at that moment cuz i was late for work.

shit now i think about it i should of kept the good one that i switched out but i have no place to store it.

Simple answer:

Switch all 4 or your center diff will hate you.

Long answer:

Subaru's AWD system will not tolerate a difference of more than 4/32" of tread depth between the largest and smallest of the four tires. That's a maximum of 8/32" of OVERALL DIAMETER. By mismatching tires, you're almost guaranteeing that there will be a large difference between diameters. Always play it safe and keep your 4 tires of the same make/model, and size. And if you replace just one, get it shaved to match the other three.

i thought it would be ok for the 2 rears to be same. i dont know how AWD works but if its going to cause problems then i will spend another $200 now than later on.

how much can i sell the used bridgestones for? has good amount of rubber on it.

Unlike some AWD systems that are just 2WD until the drive wheels slip, Subaru's AWD system is always working. So it's more sensitive to differing tires.

As for the price, I'd look around and see what the going rates are. It'll be hard to sell just two tires on a Subaru board though, since the buyer will have to buy two shaved tires to match them. Try craigslist?

You definitely don't want to run different tires like that. I'm actually surprised a tire shop would even do that for you. Different speed ratings, etc.. Search the classifieds and get a matching set. It will be much cheaper than damaging your AWD system.

So wait, I just recently replaced my front tires cause I hit a pothole on my passenger side and was forced to. So you guys are saying that there is a affect on the AWD system because of it? I got the same tires, Hankook v4, but now the back 2 probably have 10k on them or maybe less and the front are obviously new.

So wait, I just recently replaced my front tires cause I hit a pothole on my passenger side and was forced to. So you guys are saying that there is a affect on the AWD system because of it? I got the same tires, Hankook v4, but now the back 2 probably have 10k on them or maybe less and the front are obviously new.

:lol: i was like :eek::confused::spin::spin::spin: too. i hate AWD now..j/k im waiting for the tire shop to restock on the tires since they ran out.

how the v4 i was about to get v12 evo but i just got cheap v2.

if the rolling diameter differs by more than x"? then it will affect the tranny/center diff

forgot the exact number

Tread depth can't be more than 4/32" between the tallest and shortest tire. If you're not sure if your tires are ok, drop by a tire shop and they can measure th tread depths. Or hit up an Advance Autoparts and buy one.

Tread depth can't be more than 4/32" between the tallest and shortest tire. .............

4/32" is well beyond what is allowable.

The subaru spec is 0.25" max difference for tire circumference.

This translates to a max difference in radius of 0.0398", or slightly more than 1/32".

4/32" is well beyond what is allowable.

The subaru spec is 0.25" max difference for tire circumference.

This translates to a max difference in radius of 0.0398", or slightly more than 1/32".

Are your sure it's circumference and not diameter? Because a 0.25" difference in diameter is 4/32" tread depth. Requiring all four to be within 1/32 is impossible. You'd have to rotate your tires constantly.

Archived