LegacyGT.com

Major (DBW) throttle lag on 2.5i?

Hey guys - I searched for a little bit for this topic but didn't find anything 2.5i specific.

So the DBW throttle lag is really pissing me off now that snow has come around - its like:

Press Throttle

Wait .25 seconds

Receive power

I feel like I'm gaming on 56k :-p.

This might seem even worse since I'm coming from a Miata but still... this is pretty severe. It never really bothered me too much when I was driving around normally but with ice racing season around the corner, as well as the fact that I LIKE playing in snow... well the lag kinda sucks...

Any ideas on getting a reflash? Would I have to get a tactrix cable and manually remap the throttle response stuff? If so, is there a tutorial somewhere for how to do that on the 2.5i?

Thanks guys.

So if I linearize the throttle map (lets say I'm using excel to calculate) I won't have to deal with throttle lag? It will respond just like say... my miata or your mr2 does?

The lag still exists even when I'm coming off WOT or going from gear to gear.

Now it this like that lag when you take off from an uphill stop sign and hit the gas and it sorta accelerates but nowhere near as fast as what your right foot it telling it to? I'm going to get run over because of that one day. I've had to kick the clutch to get revs up before.

It will respond better. And I know what you mean about the lag when you get off the throttle, and it hangs there. The throttle body doesn't snap shut instantly like the cable driven throttle bodies are. Changing the tables should fix all of that.

Sorry, forgot to ask. is it mt or at?

MT - I think I'll have to wait till christmas to get a cable though - I can't justify spending the money till finals are over and I've bought my friends and family all their stuff ;).

Ok, again, please explain. I fail to see how a throttle body spacer, porting, or cai is going to solve the fact that the computer keeps the throttle body open for a bit before snapping it shut when your foot is completely off the pedal?

agreed

all of the bolt-on mods make no sense for decreasing the DBW lag, it's a software problem not hardware?????????

in any case, i have a LWCP and aftermarket panel filter and while the throttle response is lighter and smoother, the lag is still apparent.

I would have to agree with it being software related and not hardware. I have had a couple of instances where I have almost been plowed into while trying to "thread the needle" so to speak. If you try to transition from braking to an almost stop and mash the trottle to take off again, the CPU seems to want to think about it for 1-2 seconds before finally giving you more than idle.

I have also had issues where the tranny locks into 2nd gear and it makes the car accellerate like you are towing a semi for 1-2 seconds before kicking down into 1st and taking off.

I guess the Subaru Engineers never took a quick stop scenario into account when writing the code.

Of course, if you slap the tranny into manual mode the throttle response is much quicker and it doesn't get stuck in a lower gear.

• 4 weeks later...

Lag sucks when launching into traffic. If letting the clutch out for smooth launch then stomping the accelerator, nothing happens very slowly picks up speed in 1st. Not good. Have to blip throttle then pop clutch to launch quick, more stress on drivetrain and passengers.

Any trick for a smooth, fast launch? Car has 6K miles and bone stock, can dealer reflash firmware to improve response?

Lag sucks when launching into traffic. If letting the clutch out for smooth launch then stomping the accelerator, nothing happens very slowly picks up speed in 1st. Not good. Have to blip throttle then pop clutch to launch quick, more stress on drivetrain and passengers.

Any trick for a smooth, fast launch? Car has 6K miles and bone stock, can dealer reflash firmware to improve response?

I have noticed that too, you have to release the clutch slowly and smoothly. I loose quite a bit of power off the line when I do this. I'll get it right every now and then and get my head thrown against the seat, not expecting to get a perfect launch :lol:

Archived