LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket Headlights

Hey guys,

I've been looking into getting aftermarket headlights, after a deer cracked my stock ones. I was looking at black Anzo USAs. I really like the style of the assembly. Does anyone have any other recommendations on full headlight assemblies for a 2010 Legacy?

Thanks.

Regards,

Titus

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey guys,

I've been looking into getting aftermarket headlights, after a deer cracked my stock ones. I was looking at black Anzo USAs. I really like the style of the assembly. Does anyone have any other recommendations on full headlight assemblies for a 2010 Legacy?

Thanks.

Regards,

Titus

I have a set of blacked-out ones from a former vendor on this site. They sustained damage to the mounting tabs from a collision I recently had, but the lenses are fine. I replaced them with the aforementioned 2013+ special appearance package headlamps, so I have the old ones just sitting on my bedroom floor taking up space.

How are the actual 2013 headlights? I.e. Do they illuminate the road better than the OEM 2010s? A part number would also be appreciated; hate Subaru's online parts store, can't find anything very easily.

With the same bulbs, there would be no discernible difference. It's just an appearance thing.

http://subaruonlineparts.com/subaru-legacy-outback-special-appearance-package-headlights-blacked-p-2409.html

I do like the 2013 assemblies, however I would also like improved functionality right out of the box. I drive in a lot of low lit, poor visibility environments and could really benefit from wider/further illumination. Is there an assembly, LED, CCFL, etc., that anyone can recommend or am I better off doing HIDs on OEM 2010s or 2013s?

I do like the 2013 assemblies, however I would also like improved functionality right out of the box. I drive in a lot of low lit, poor visibility environments and could really benefit from wider/further illumination. Is there an assembly, LED, CCFL, etc., that anyone can recommend or am I better off doing HIDs on OEM 2010s or 2013s?

There would be no difference in functionality between the 2010 & 2013 housings, they do not come with bulbs pre-installed. The only way to get more light would be to upgrade the bulbs themselves. HID's would give you the most light output, but without a proper retrofit, the beam pattern isn't optimal. A lower cost solution would be to upgrade the H7 headlights to the OSRAM Rallye 65W off-road bulbs (here) and the HB3 highbeams to Phillips 9011s (here).

One thing that should be noted; if you "upgrade" to the 2013 Special Appearance Package headlamps, you will also need to order the wiring harnesses that go with it. The turn signal bulb sockets are slightly different, and the 2010 sockets wont fit into the 2013 housing even though they use the exact same bulb (7440).

if you "upgrade" to the 2013 Special Appearance Package headlamps, you will also need to order the wiring harnesses that go with it. The turn signal bulb sockets are slightly different, and the 2010 sockets wont fit into the 2013 housing even though they use the exact same bulb (7440).
Is this only for the 2010, or is this for any of the pre-2013 headlights? (I hadn't seen anyone post about that before and was considering doing this upgrade at some point)

Is this only for the 2010, or is this for any of the pre-2013 headlights? (I hadn't seen anyone post about that before and was considering doing this upgrade at some point)

Mine's a 2012 and the harness wouldn't fit. I don't know if it's a year thing or an appearance package thing. I'm not even 100% sure that the new headlamps didn't come with the harnesses since it was the body shop that ordered everything.

So it looks like you can order just the lens and housing or the whole headlight assembly - the whole assembly includes the harness, along with bulbs, etc. so it looks like the moral of the story is if you are upgrading, you need the whole assembly as the harness is different. Good to know!

Capture.JPG.0ffe688b851ef7259237d64d11bb06ab.JPG

So it looks like you can order just the lens and housing or the whole headlight assembly - the whole assembly includes the harness, along with bulbs, etc. so it looks like the moral of the story is if you are upgrading, you need the whole assembly as the harness is different. Good to know!

Its been a couple of years since I last checked, but as far as I know, you can only order the whole assembly.

Its been a couple of years since I last checked, but as far as I know, you can only order the whole assembly.

No - you can order the pieceparts - for the 2013 lights, left/right whole assemblies are p/n 84001AJ21A/84001AJ20A and left/right lens and housing are p/n 84913AJ27A/84913AJ26A. The harness is p/n 84981AJ15A/84981AJ14A for left/right.

• 5 months later...

Archived