LegacyGT.com

Heated seat back not working

fatbastard

A few weeks back I thought I noticed the seat back wasn't getting hot but figured it was just because it wasn't that cold. Well this morning it was under 20 and it definitely isn't working. Did a little search and it seems there was a TSB for the bottom element and most have had issues with the bottom. I was hoping this might just be a loose connector but in my reading some had claimed these are connected in series...how can that be? If they are in series and one is busted the other shouldn't work either. So this leaves me hopeful that there is another connector somewhere I need to check. Any ideas on how these are actually connected. There is one really nice walk through for the bottom but I didn't spot the connector.

I have the same issue. Here are the threads I've found on this...

This one is right here on the first page of this forum...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/seat-heater-stopped-working-148974.html

This one is about installing STi heated seats...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/install-heated-sti-seats-into-lgt-reletively-painless-103465.html

And this one is about fixing the bottom heating element but does mention the back too...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fix-your-heated-seat-106069.html?t=106069

Bottom line, they are connected but not exactly in a series. See the first post I linked for the best explanation and pictures.

Cheers!

I didn't even know the seat backs were supposed to warm?

Most definitely, it was good therapy for my back when I was going through PT.

I have the same issue. Here are the threads I've found on this...

This one is right here on the first page of this forum...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/seat-heater-stopped-working-148974.html

This one is about installing STi heated seats...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/install-heated-sti-seats-into-lgt-reletively-painless-103465.html

And this one is about fixing the bottom heating element but does mention the back too...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fix-your-heated-seat-106069.html?t=106069

Bottom line, they are connected but not exactly in a series. See the first post I linked for the best explanation and pictures.

Cheers!

Thanks..found some of those but somehow missed the recent one that shows the harness an connector for the back element. Gives me hope that it is just a loose wire or conector, now I just have to find it.

or the fuse. not the case for me. and I don't have the time or patience to fix it on my own. think I may have to pay the $120 for the dealer to fix it.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

or the fuse. not the case for me. and I don't have the time or patience to fix it on my own. think I may have to pay the $120 for the dealer to fix it.

I think if the fuse was blown neither heater would work. But who knows there seems to be a bit of differing info on how these work. Some threads I saw said they were in series, others indicate the back doesn't work if the bottom is faulty. I am just happy there is another connector under there that I am hoping is disconnected....though I know with my luck that is not the case.

Wow! I didn't realize so many seat backs didn't work! Maybe there's something faulty with these seat heaters?

I'm with c-lo. I tried getting my seat out once and I think I'll pay someone to do it. Subaru bucks to the rescue! :lol: :lol: ;)

I still haven't had a chance to check mine but I am hopeful it is a connector or loose wire I can get to easy enough. I keep a small case under the seat that has the AP and cable, so I am hoping one time sliding it under I knocked something loose.

I bought mine new.... I loved that heated backside. Just this year it stopped working, only the cushion heats.

Same here. Bought new in '04 and the back quit working a year or so ago.

---------------

I still haven't had a chance to check mine but I am hopeful it is a connector or loose wire I can get to easy enough. I keep a small case under the seat that has the AP and cable, so I am hoping one time sliding it under I knocked something loose.

I checked mine. The connector is hard to knock loose as it's tucked up inside the springs under the seat. I hope yours is just loose! ;)

Damn...I didn't know the backs got hot either. I bought it used and just assumed it was just the bottom. Not like I need it when it is 100 degrees outside anyway though.

There's no doubt that some people are having problems with the back heater, but for those who don't feel much warmth from a working one, it's probably because people typically wear more layers of clothing on their upper body.

The bottom part feels nice and warm because you have underwear and pants on - two thin layers.

The heat from the back doesn't really get through an undershirt, shirt, sweater and jacket :lol:

Pressure also helps to conduct the heat. There's more weight pressing down than back which further makes the bottom feel warmer.

• Mega Users
I tried it out when I bought my car because I was curious...it was actually 90F out...I just wanted to see if it worked. So I would have felt it through a t-shirt. I'm not too concerned. That is my only complaint on a car that I got for several thousand less than blue book.

my 05 lgt drivers side seat doesn't heat up. The back side still heats fine. The back side gets hot enough to feel through a winter jacket in about 5 minutes. The bottom of the seat doesn't heat up at all.

In looking around to see if there was a fuse blown or something like that, I noticed this mysterious plug that isn't connected to anything. Anyone know what this is?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/Cypher0117/1207000950scaled.jpg

Could this be why my bottom doesn't heat? I couldn't find another plug that wasn't connected.

On another note. I thought that in order for the back to work, the bottom had to work because I thought the back piggy-backed off of the bottom control.

I reached up into seat cushion following the wires and it didn't feel like the bottom element had been pulled forward so I don't know if any of the wires were yanked out.

• 3 weeks later...

Driver seat stopped working, passenger still does. It did get really hot a few weeks ago, but aren't they both on the same fuse?

Check fuse (the switch does light, does this matter?)

Check connector under seat

The switch does not feel like it should in my opinion, is it possible to pull it and swap connections (driver seat to passenger switch)?

Other, before tearing in to the seat itself

Archived