LegacyGT.com

General Arctic vs Blizzak WS70

fatbastard

I was all set to pick up a set of the General's after posting my other thread since they seem to get good reviews and are pretty damn cheap. Since I do a lot of miles a cheap performer is much appreciated. Well I can get the General's for just over $500 but this morning my local Firestone dealer offered me the WS70's for $530! I think the WS70 will out perform the General in snow and ice but not sure how they will hold up with the multicell since 90% of the time I will be on dry roads. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Price is pretty much a wash and to be honest the WS70's would be easier for me to get done since Firestone is right by my office.

In those three seasons how many miles do you think you put on them? I do 25-30k/yr so I would put about 10k on a year. My main concern with the Blizzaks is they will burn up too fast and I won't feel like I have enough meat or the next season. I would imagine your winters are a bit colder too so that would help your treadlife too.

I've had the Generals on for like a week now. No snow obviously but they've proven stable in rain at least. :lol: Car definitely lost some handling and earlier last week I had a cat run out in front of me and panic stopping on dry pavement is borderline violent, but it stopped quickly enough to miss the cat at least.

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them

-Ronald Reagan

In those three seasons how many miles do you think you put on them? I do 25-30k/yr so I would put about 10k on a year. My main concern with the Blizzaks is they will burn up too fast and I won't feel like I have enough meat or the next season. I would imagine your winters are a bit colder too so that would help your treadlife too.

I bought a used WS60 set with about 90% tread left on them and I'm about to hit my third season. They'll be done after this winter. I don't know how much the previous owner used them for (probably 4-5K), but I'll have gotten about 11K out of them for a total of 15-16K. This is driving on mostly dry roads.

Car definitely lost some handling and earlier last week I had a cat run out in front of me and panic stopping on dry pavement is borderline violent, but it stopped quickly enough to miss the cat at least.

Funny you mention that, my buddy got a set and said the same thing about the rear end.

I bought a used WS60 set with about 90% tread left on them and I'm about to hit my third season. They'll be done after this winter. I don't know how much the previous owner used them for (probably 4-5K), but I'll have gotten about 11K out of them for a total of 15-16K. This is driving on mostly dry roads.

So maybe I will get two seasons out of them since I think they made the tread depth slightly deeper.

I don't drive that much - may be 12-15k total. The tread is still usable, but I upgraded my brakes and had to go one size up on the rims too. Gave those Blizzaks to a needy friend.

I am quite impressed with my new Hakkas. They feel stiffer and handle much better than the Blizzaks - this might be the effect of lower sidewall though. Noise is tolerable in the city, and it becomes less noticeable at highway speeds. Can't wait to test them in the snow (currently it is +10C and raining :spin:).

Have you checked tire rack's prices?

I have WS-60s on their third snow and I expect to use them again next year, I love them.

Yeah they are more expensive than what I was quoted and then I would have to get them mounted. In the past I have liked the blizzaksin the snow but never got much life out of them due to my 40 mile commute each way. I think the blizzak would outperform the general in all respects except treadlife. From what Ihave read I may be hard pressed to get two full seasons out of them.

Have you looked into the Michelin xi2? They're supposed to last longer than the WS60s.

I had but couldn't find them anywhere near the same price as the General's. I really had no intention of getting the WS70's until I was quoted a price that was barely more than the General's.

• 2 months later...
I have a 1998 Legacy GT and i have had General Altimax Arctic 205/55/16 on my car for about 5 years and this is my second set. I can tell you being a snow tire freak and trying out almost every Brand of snow tire that the General Altimax Arctic is the best snow tire on the market for every condition. The only tire that can touch them in icy condition is the Bridgestone Blizzak WS70. The General Altimax Arctic is the same tire as the Gislaved Nordfrost 3. They are made in Germany and are both owned by Continental. They are one sick tire and they hold up well with tread life. Like most good snow tires but them on below 40 and you will get the best life out of them. Any question just ask.

I am into my third winter on the WS 60 and they r great!.....like you I do about 25 to 30k a year driving, and every winter I put at least 10 to 15k on the blizzaks going up to VT and NH. This could b my last winter on the tires depending on how they look when I take them off in April, but i would buy another set of Blizzaks when the time comes.

They have some road noise on dry pavement but I feel they have better performance on dry road than the stock tires.

Go with the WS 70 for the money they are worth it and will last at least 3 winters. How much were u getting the Generals for?

Archived