LegacyGT.com

Gas Mileage Poll

Vimy101

What's your gas mileage?  

783 members have voted

1. 1. What's your gas mileage?

^ This is the Legacygt.com site. When I originally laid out the poll, I neglected to be specific enough and went under the assumption that only LGT owners would tally up. Less drinking when polling is the lesson but, what the hell, it's an open poll so one can check the numbers.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...
22-26 city depending on if i feel speed racer or not, and 28-33 highway. I just completed a 3,000 mile road trip. If I kept it between 75-79mph I avaraged 33 hwy, when I hooked up with some BMW's going between 85-110 mph my milage went down to 28mpg. I now have 4,700 miles on my car and have had my first oil change. I do not have a turbo car and have the 5mt transmission. All mpg was mostly without the ac on and using the cruse control as much as possible.

22-26 city depending on if i feel speed racer or not, and 28-33 highway. I just completed a 3,000 mile road trip. If I kept it between 75-79mph I avaraged 33 hwy, when I hooked up with some BMW's going between 85-110 mph my milage went down to 28mpg. I now have 4,700 miles on my car and have had my first oil change. I do not have a turbo car and have the 5mt transmission. All mpg was mostly without the ac on and using the cruse control as much as possible.

It seems like the faster I go, the better gas mileage I get. Odd for some reason. If I keep it up around 80, I get around 35+ miles to the gallon over 30 miles.

• 4 weeks later...
My gas mileage still sucks. The absolute speed doesn't seem to matter. I did two tests where I actually got 26mpg on the freeway. One was at 65mph and one was at 80mph. Both involved filling the tank before getting on the freeway and then refilling as soon as I got off. Tried to not use the accelerator pedal in the meantime (not exactly the EPA hiway paradigm SOA). Otherwise, in town, with conservative driving, 16mpg, and with agressive driving, 15mpg (this is closer to the EPA city model). My freeway driving with some use of the go pedal is usually 22mpg. I'm running an 18mpg average with a mix of driving styles.

With all of my previous cars I always took pride in being able to beat the EPA figures: I could hit 35 in my old Accord; 36 in my old Miata; and heck, I've even seen 28 in my M Coupe on long drives. The LGT Wagon is another story: I've seen as low as 15 around town and the best I've managed was 24 on a long highway ride with cruise control set at 70 - - but that was only once. Ordinarily I hit 18 around town and 22 on the highway.

I'd love to get the COBB stage 1 in the car but I'm concerned that my already dismal mileage will suffer for it.

With all of my previous cars I always took pride in being able to beat the EPA figures: I could hit 35 in my old Accord; 36 in my old Miata; and heck, I've even seen 28 in my M Coupe on long drives. The LGT Wagon is another story: I've seen as low as 15 around town and the best I've managed was 24 on a long highway ride with cruise control set at 70 - - but that was only once. Ordinarily I hit 18 around town and 22 on the highway.

I'd love to get the COBB stage 1 in the car but I'm concerned that my already dismal mileage will suffer for it.

Consistent with my mpg (I own two 05 LGT MT wagons)I noticed that ethanol crap lowers the gas mileage, by about 2 mpg.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmm...just measured my first full tank of gas or so.

However, my driving is about 90% just to the grocery store which is a 2mile trip or so.

I averaged 16mpg.... yuck. This was based on resetting the trip meter at the last fill up, and then dividing miles driven / amount of gallons in next fillup. I'm sure the nature of the trips hurts it...but this is just terrible.

31k miles on the car, all maintenance done properly.

That's pretty terrible for a 2.5L car - turbo or not. Even my old grand prix which weighed 400lbs more and had a 3.8L engine did closer to 20mpg. My buyer's remorse for not going with a G35 is only increasing :/

Edited by z28dreams

My drives are usually 2-3 miles in length so the car is warming up for most of the short trip which contributes to my horrible gas mileage. But this is 99% city driving (stop and go, 25-40 mph etc...) Last week I tried getting into 5th gear as fast as i could with manual mode and this netted me around 16 mpg. I really wish i could get 17.5 mpg or higher but as far as i'm concerned my car seems to be running well. I think the circumstances are causing the bad mpg not something bad with em or the engine.

I logged my car awhile ago, but did not record a/f ratios is this something i should do to see if i may be running to rich?

VTGT, this is almost exactly how I drive my car and I'm seeing near identical mileage. If you're in NoVA still like me, the god awful traffic doesn't help either.

dang thats really low gas mileage, even when i drive "aggressive" i get 21+

Hmm...just measured my first full tank of gas or so.

However, my driving is about 90% just to the grocery store which is a 2mile trip or so.

I averaged 16mpg.... yuck. This was based on resetting the trip meter at the last fill up, and then dividing miles driven / amount of gallons in next fillup. I'm sure the nature of the trips hurts it...but this is just terrible.

31k miles on the car, all maintenance done properly.

That's pretty terrible for a 2.5L car - turbo or not. Even my old grand prix which weighed 400lbs more and had a 3.8L engine did closer to 20mpg. My buyer's remorse for not going with a G35 is only increasing :/

• 2 months later...
Got over 28.5 for a couple of months in mixed driving in Chicagoland this past summer. Red line it everytime out at least once. Winter gas is now taking its toll. Down to 27.9 over the last 6k and no doubt falling as per OEM info system. 67k on the Spec. now and not a single problem.

Got over 28.5 for a couple of months in mixed driving in Chicagoland this past summer. Red line it everytime out at least once. Winter gas is now taking its toll. Down to 27.9 over the last 6k and no doubt falling as per OEM info system. 67k on the Spec. now and not a single problem.

The best I'm getting is still around 22 on the hiway and around 16 in the city. My best with a steady 65mph and minimal throttle movement was 26. The only way I'm going to get 28 is if I carry the car on my back. I think I've improved marginally by mashing the pedal a little harder and faster on accelerating. I used to use the egg-on-the-pedal theory. In the end, it probably doesn't matter how I drive. The only thing that seems to matter is how many times I lift my foot off the gas and put it back on.

I still think there's something wrong with it but SOA has convinced themself that there's no problem. I'm curious what would happen if you took 100 random LGTs and put them through the same EPA city/hiway runs on a dyno what the mileage variability would be.

^ Socal gas has a lot of additives so that will impact your mileage. Minimizing turbo use during general purpose puttering about will increase mileage. Refusing to bumper chase in traffic also has a big positive effect. Using CC helps. Anticipating stops is another relativly big one. If you see a tired green light or slowing traffic a half a mile ahead there's really no advantage to powering your way to an eventual use of the brakes that just undoes all the energy you just put in. Coast your way to a stop or slowing situation. You're going to stop/slow anyway so there's no need to hurry up to it when you're just going to stop moving in any event.

What's CC? I'm probably being dense. I've tried most mileage saving techniques that you talk about. They will usually account for about 1 mpg. The only thing that seems to matter between my 16 mpg city and my usual hiway trip 22 is how many times my foot goes from the right pedal to the middle pedal. The angle of attack (abrupt or hard acceleration vs easy acceleration) or the duration (staying on either pedal for more or less time) doesn't seem to matter much beyond around 1 mpg.

Do you guys have the latest flash to lean out the whole fuel map ? SOA apparently was running excessive fuel on the northamerican and canadian Turbo models, so much so that this was the reason for the hesitation between 3-4 k rpm. The new map uses the optimum lean mixture while still being rich enough to give the correct mixture under full boost. I have noticed a lot more power and a savings of approx. 2 litres/100km

Do you guys have the latest flash to lean out the whole fuel map ? SOA apparently was running excessive fuel on the northamerican and canadian Turbo models, so much so that this was the reason for the hesitation between 3-4 k rpm. The new map uses the optimum lean mixture while still being rich enough to give the correct mixture under full boost. I have noticed a lot more power and a savings of approx. 2 litres/100km

I hadn't heard of it. I'll ask my dealer service department about it. Has anyone else heard of it? I do think I'm running rich. My brother has an '06 LGT with absolutely clean tail pipes while mine are thoroughly black. His mileage is better than mine. Who knows whether that explains it or not, but it is interesting. Thanks.

I hadn't heard about this flash. My mileage is pretty good in the summer but drops off considerably in the winter. Someone once said that cold temps signal a lean condition which causes the mixture to be enriched. I never did suffer from the dreaded "studder". Interesting re the reflash.