LegacyGT.com

05 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT Limited with issues

discojon

Dealer has the aforementioned vehicle, listed at $10,999. I offered $8,500, they counter at $9,500. The car has 100k miles on it, body and interior look great however the issues that I know of include: leaky VC's, leaking cv boot, heat diverter door (they are replacing this with a used part apparently). I had a member from here look at the car and test drive it. He gave me a good report, clutch felt strong, interior nice, shifted smooth. Could definitely smell oil from the VC leak. Tires and pads good. The dealer initially agreed to do a compression test but just backed out of that citing they had put to much into it already and it isn't exhibiting any symptoms. I plan on driving 300 miles to see the car in person this weekend. They have replaced, the front LCA bushings, Sway bar endlinks, sway bar, oil and filter, and balanced and rotated tires. Still has original timing belt and Water pump. I've offered to split the cost of the compression test with them

If i agree on the $9500 price, i will be fixing Valve Cover Gaskets, changing Timing belt and related, and the rest of the fluids my self. Are the leaky VC gaskets a big concern? normal wear from 100k miles, or result of over pressurizing the crank? Honestly I don't feel safe buying the car without the compression test, and am even more leery after they reneged doing it for me. I am planning on taking my laptop with romraider and logging the car to check for knock, check out the LV.

I have been looking for this exact car for quite sometime and would like to own if but I definitely have concerns. What would LGT do?

magejpeg_0.thumb.jpg.aba8b4bb8f14be60efe5bab39045382e.jpg

MG_20131202_170750339.thumb.jpg.1e9a28f4ccbf76d833923e8e8af8f9f9.jpg

MG_20131202_170801687.thumb.jpg.43acdb378e15e849fffadee242c81ef9.jpg

magejpeg_0_2.thumb.jpg.bd20210db60f8e27d56857b29bc47f06.jpg

MG_20131202_170824932.thumb.jpg.53979d78143dd22594c01d7635a7b8e5.jpg

I think you've done your homework. I would follow everything you said. Yes a compression test is a MUST with these cars.So do it for sure.

Also, using romraider and pulling an LV is a great plan.

Valve gaskets are a common issue if not properly installed. Half moon gaskets should be installed at the same time. Good luck with the purchase.

Maybe if you monitor cylinder roughness?

That sounds a bit fishy if they don't even want to split the cost. How much is it? You could always go somewhere else to do it. I wonder if they're scared to discover something bad..

I get the feeling that they are afraid if the results are not desirable the week be stuck rebuilding the car. The service manager has convinced the gm that is not needed from what I understand.

Depending on your location I would get the price down to at least 9K if you can. I just bought the same car in Indiana for 8500 with 10K more miles on it. All the same issues but mine had a new clutch and flywheel. Pending the compression test have fun in your turbo wagon, mine is a blast!

Just spoke with the dealership owner, Still refused to pay for all or part of the test. I offered to pay for it and they are going to get started with compression and leakdown now. Total cost for that is about $250. Here are the expected tolerances from the service guide:

Compression pressure (350 rpm and Throttle fully open):

Standard:981 — 1,177 kPa (10 — 12 kg/cm2, 142 —171 psi)

Difference between cylinders:

49 kPa (0.5 kgf/cm2, 7 psi) or less

I'll let you guys know this afternoon what the results are

Depending on your location I would get the price down to at least 9K if you can. I just bought the same car in Indiana for 8500 with 10K more miles on it. All the same issues but mine had a new clutch and flywheel. Pending the compression test have fun in your turbo wagon, mine is a blast!

Dealer is firm at $9500 with the work they have put into it in the front suspension and heater. If it passes compression and leakdown, I'm good at $9500. Otherwise, the way I see it, I'm only out the cost of the test and not stuck with paying for a full rebuild.

• Moderators

A bit sketch that the seller of the car is doing the test for you, but hey--you're the one communicating with them and should have a better feel than the rest of us.

Wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide, but IMO for ~$9500 I've seen much better cars.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

A bit sketch that the seller of the car is doing the test for you, but hey--you're the one communicating with them and should have a better feel than the rest of us.

Wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide, but IMO for ~$9500 I've seen much better cars.

I fell the same to some extent. They are a subaru dealer and have certified techs that will be doing the tests. I don't have the feeling that they are trying to be shady, but I think someone overpaid on the trade in and they are just trying to cut losses. I try to see the best in folks. I'll post up some pics to the original post in a sec. I don't have very good ones yet but it looks solid.

• Moderators
I don't have the feeling that they are trying to be shady, but I think someone overpaid on the trade in and they are just trying to cut losses.

Just remember that it's not your problem that someone may have overpaid on the trade in :)

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Just remember that it's not your problem that someone may have overpaid on the trade in :)

Very true. From what i have been able to tell with the other cars I've been looking at recently, they are selling between $7500 with 140k ish miles to $11k with 80k ish miles. Does that sound about right?

Edit: Picutes added to OP

No ways. Granted the spark plugs are hard to get to, it should not take three hours man. I'd say max 2 if they're real slow..

Let us know how it goes.

I did my own in 2 hours, working at a moderate pace. Biggest delay was getting the coil boot back on #4 plug. :spin:

That's exactly what I told my dealer when I bought mine. Sometimes they pay too much at auction without realizing the car has issues. Not your problem. :)

Archived