LegacyGT.com

Question for 07 Diamond Grey owners

misterpink

Since DG is sort of in betwen silver and black, I have a question. When it comes to showing dirt, dust, etc... is the DG more like a black car or a silver car? (where black cars tend to look dirty 5 minutes after you wash them, and silver cars tend to always look clean)

I just picked up my '07 Diamond Grey Metallic 2.5i Limited a little over a week ago.

My two previous cars were both Platinum Silver Nissans so I know exactly what you're asking...

The Diamond Grey DOES seem to look dirty more quickly than silver. It doesn't look as dirty as quickly as black but it's definately quick to get water spots and that nasty dirt film on it when it's rainy out.

It is a beautiful color, though, and I definately wouldn't pick a different color just because it looks dirty quicker than silver...

Anyway, that's my opinion. Your mileage may vary... ;)

It's easier to maintain than black, but I don't believe it's as easy as silver. It's middle of the road as you've stated.

The gray is dark enough that you really don't see the dirt till you get closer. So it's not that bad. I park outside and went 3 weeks recently without a wash. :)

^ Brilliant Silver! Yes! Mine is dirty as shit right now and it still looks all right. Excpet for rims from all the stock brake pad dust. Man those things suck! I gotta get those replaced.

Interesting. The stock LGT brake pads are the least dusty stock brake pads I've ever had by a good margin. This includes VW and Volvo brake pads most recently, both are horendous in dust compared to the LGT.

^ Brilliant Silver! Yes! Mine is dirty as shit right now and it still looks all right. Excpet for rims from all the stock brake pad dust. Man those things suck! I gotta get those replaced.

Good to see LGTs and outback XTs come with Diamond grey metalic in model year 2007.My brother's 2006 Outback 2.5i With Diamond grey metalic(Navigation edition) is dirty as shit now too, and it still looks great. :)

Interesting. The stock LGT brake pads are the least dusty stock brake pads I've ever had by a good margin. This includes VW and Volvo brake pads most recently, both are horendous in dust compared to the LGT.

Really? I guess the ceramics I put on all the domestics spoiled me. Wouldn't stop very well but easy to clean....

Wait. That's not good is it? :icon_conf

It's easier to maintain than black, but I don't believe it's as easy as silver. It's middle of the road as you've stated.

The gray is dark enough that you really don't see the dirt till you get closer. So it's not that bad. I park outside and went 3 weeks recently without a wash. :)

I mostly agree with this... except I'm a little compulsive and I was tempted to wash after 4 days... but since it seems like it's been raining practically every other day I haven't felt like it was worth it...

Sounds like you want the DMG - so If you live in a temperate climate, garage your car, can wash it regularly and don't park near trees then get the DGM. DGM looks good and not everyone has that color (yet:))

With that said - silver is the easiest maintenance color - no way around it. I have never regretted getting a silver car because when I get the unavoidable scratches from highway debris coupled with NorthEast winter damage - the silver helps minimize my aggravation until I can work on the paint again in the spring.

The gray is better then black but it will still show scratches, dirt and clear coat staining (like bird droppings) much more then silver. I noticed on the SpecB in the showroom that it was easily showing fingerprints around the doors and windows that I didn't see on the silver showroom cars.

Went to the dealership today to look at the diamond gray and black.

They were both a little dirty, and it looks more black to me than silver.

The diamond gray to me just looks like black with specs of "diamond gray". Of course its differ by person, but I ended up going with the black. A dirty diamond gray on a cloudy day could be mistaken for black from afar.

I've had both colors.. And it's very easy to test the way the color hides the dirt.

I simply swiped my index finger across the hood of both cars and the DMG you can easily tell where I did it.. as opposed to my Platinum Silver WRX where it was kind of noticeable but way less than the DMG.

thanks for all the replies so far!

basically, you guys are right, I do really want the Diamond Grey, - if I was buying an 07 no matter what it wouldnt be a question - however I'm also considering a leftover 06 or a slightly used 06/05, so Its a more complicated decision where I've got the color I want on one hand, but a higher price and an instant new-car depreciation staring at me .. and on the other I have a lower price but will I always be loking at the DG subies and regretting my decision?

Im sort of leaning twords a slightly used silver 06 at the moment .. but we'll see!

thanks for all the replies so far!

.. and on the other I have a lower price but will I always be loking at the DG subies and regretting my decision?

If you feel that strongly about DG then I don't see how you have a choice.

To save a couple of grand on a 06 silver car and then every time you see a DG be thinking - "Darn, I should have got that one" - doesn't make sense to me. If you plan on keeping the car for 5 years you will be constantly regretting your decision as DGM will become a fairly common suby color over the next several years. Additionally, you will make back some of the new 07 car depreciation hit on resale when you are selling/trading in a 1 year newer vehicle vs the 06.

^^ I agree 100% with you!

I had the option of getting a couple '06 closeouts but I justified the '07 the same way as you described. I'm planning on keeping the car for a long time, it had all the options (and the color) that I wanted plus it's 1 year "newer".

Archived