LegacyGT.com

Ej22 to ej253

Im having a tough time figuring out if i can use this motor as a direct swap. My ej22 has some internal issues that are slowly getting worse so im looking for a motor with a little more power that would be a direct swap. Just motor, no Ecu or anything.

I heard I didnt need an Ecu, that mine would work as long as I dont use a turbocharged motor and as long as I use a phase 2 motor.

Please help! Thank you!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

i can't help you with out the year and model of each car.

but based on your ej253 reference and the fact this is a second gen discussion,

i'm pretty sure the answer is no.

but i need more info to be sure.

I'm guessing the ECU won't work since it's a much newer 2000+ engine you are thinking of swapping in. The EJ25D up thru 1999 should swap in to your car without needing an ECU change.

Personally I like the way the EJ253 in my '05 OBS runs compared to my '98 EJ22 so I can understand why you would want to do this swap.

if you swap in an ej253 engine,

you will need the ECU and the wire harness

if you do not want a CEL and trouble codes.

i guess the question is why would you?

a 00 ej25 would be MUCH easier ,

no harness and no ECU needed.

just use the intake manifold w/ wires and the cam/ crank sprockets off of your original engine.

easy peasy.

While were on the subject, ive had a question in the stickies for a while but times runin out to get this car or not. I have the option to pick up a 2011 sti thats wrecked. Would the motor work in a secound gen? I know the electronics will be tricky but I got that, will the motor actualy bolt in?

simply put, that motor will not work, soooooo many differences and modification needed to everything..

many components of the 2004's STi like brakes hubs and wheels, etc. will work because they have the 5x100 hubs, instead of the 5x114.3 that they switched to in 2005+

look,

i don't know what an ej253 is.

for some reason i thought it was an 05 engine.

but i do not know.

but if you own a 99 legacy with an ej22 engine,

you can swap in a an ej25 from 00 - 03/4.

and as long as you use your original intake manifold and cam / crank sprockets it will run fine.

you MAY also have to do an EGR work around depending on if your 99 has EGR and depending on if the donor engine has EGR.

00 - 04, some engines have EGR and some do not.

sorry for the confusion,

but that is why i always ask for the year of both cars / engines.

Swap your ej222 timing gears and intake manifold and drop it in. Only difference I've seen between a 251 and 253 is one runs a maf sensor and the other doesn't. Which makes no difference to you because you'll be running it off your stock electronics. As long as it's not an avcs version you'll be fine.

Only analogy I could think of cus most people into cars have some understanding about vtech even if its "it move camshafts on crapy hondas" so I went with that instead of saying something like think vct for subies. Vct is fords system btw :) and also I should point out that ive come across avcs delete kits for the ej257 if anyones intrested

Archived