LegacyGT.com

Gas mileage ?

You're doing alright by my numbers.

1) When you say 'per tank' is that a full tank, or when the gauge says empty? My tank will read empty then only take 13.5 gallons to a 15.9 gallon tank.

2) Does your math take number of miles at trip divided by gallons to fill the tank to stop?

Just covering bases to answer your question. I average 220 miles to a ~13 - 14 gallon fill up. Around town I get ~17 - 18 and ~22 - 26 hwy - latter numbers IF I drive conservatively which I don't. My hwy miles are typically around 23 mpg bc I drive it like I stole it :)

Oh, my leggy has 77k

The only reason I look at other peoples cars is so I can see my Subie in the reflection - Carver Snell

Check out 2nd Gen Legacy Enthusiast & Resource Directory

Well I don't do any math , I just fill up and restart the trip meter , let it go to almost empty and it always is around 350 , I've been trying not to drive the car hard at all but the numbers are still low ! I'm thinking of buying a civic lol even though I really don't want to because I love my second Gen and I'm also at sea level

Do the math so you can be sure. Because there is a huge difference between using only 13 gallons over 217 miles and using 15.5 or so gallons over 217 miles. 16/17 MPG isn't unheard of, but is a little low for a second design EJ25D with even an automatic transmission.

Now, are you going until the gas light comes on?

How many gallons has it taken to fill up when you are "almost empty?"

I really haven't noticed , i just filled up yesterday so I'll make sure to tell you, I haven't seem my gas light , maybe the light has died since I haven't noticed that I have a gas light

I'm actually wondering if your sending units aren't operating correctly, as many people on this board including myself have experienced. If you are, your gas gauge isn't going to read correctly. It will drop progressively quicker as you use gas. The 96 read half empty after only 85 ish miles of driving, yet sits on empty for the last 100 plus miles.

See, in the tank there are two sending units. This is because of the hump in the middle of the tank and the fact that there may be a different level on each side as the tank empties. The contacts get worn down and the sending unit cannot properly read how much gas is left, and the average between the two gets skewed progressively as the tanks empties.

DiegoM this is the easy way to calculate precise MPG, in case you didn't already know.

When you fuel up, fill it to stop so you have a full tank. Reset your trip. Run the car under normal conditions to a least half a tank or so minimum and fill up to stop again. Take the number of miles on your trip and divide by how many gallons it took to fill the tank and that's your MPG.

number of miles on trip / number of gallons to fill tank = MPG

My math usually looks like this:

223 (trip miles) / 12.7 (gallons gas) = 17.559 (MPG)

The only reason I look at other peoples cars is so I can see my Subie in the reflection - Carver Snell

Check out 2nd Gen Legacy Enthusiast & Resource Directory

Thanks jarmerson and how much would replacing the sending units be? If this is the problem because I've noticed that when I fill up it takes around 30 kms for the needle to go down and once it's passed those 30 kms it drops down quicker then when it's filled up

My 97 Legacy GT only gets around 350 per tank (217 miles) my car has 340,000 kms on it (211,000miles) what can I do to make it higher ? This consumption of gas doesn't seem normal at all ..

I find it depends how you drive. The dragon only gets 450ks from a tank but I can get around 600. But I have been told I drive like an old woman. In NZ it is popular to race the guy next to you at the lights, where as I don't bother. Must be getting old I suppose.

Anyway why are you worried about your mileage, don't you American's have some of the cheapest gas prices in the world. Here in NZ we pay $2.20 a litre that's about $10 a gallon. Our Govt likes to tax the hell out of us. The B----ds. :mad:

how much would replacing the sending units be?

Not worth the cost of replacement.. But, there is a thread of a guy who attempted a cheap fix and was successful. Search for it and try it yourself.

Anyway why are you worried about your mileage, don't you American's have some of the cheapest gas prices in the world. Here in NZ we pay $2.20 a litre that's about $10 a gallon. Our Govt likes to tax the hell out of us. The B----ds. :mad:

It's all about what we know and what we're used to.

$4/$5 a gallon is expensive to me, when two years ago I was paying $2.74 for premium.

Not worth the cost of replacement.. But, there is a thread of a guy who attempted a cheap fix and was successful. Search for it and try it yourself.

Kenny, his fix only worked for a few weeks. Basically the guy soldered a little bit of metal to the contact because the original contact had worn away and it didn't last. good effort though. :)http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fuel-sending-unit-hack-209728.html

My fuel sending unit(s) are broken as well. Trip meter method works just fine for me. I'd rather spend $100 or more on something else.

man, it hasn't been <$3/gal since i can even remember over here..

semi-related story - last night, i found a picture that i took of a 'Holiday' station sign in 2008, 87oct was $4.57/gal

i dont remember ever paying more than that, although im sure ive succumbed

I average 17-19mpg with a good 50/50 city/hwy. And thats with 200k miles on the injectors and judging from the previous owner at least half that on the plugs and wires. As well as me playing rally car in my head alot.

Soo yeah your numbers seem alittle on the lower side....but just think, you could always be getting something like 8mpg.

I average around 275 miles per odo "reset". Takes about 11.5-12 gallons to fill each time. The gas gauge isn't too accurate. It will be at E and still have about 4 gallons in it. Even the low fuel light will illuminate.

The roads are 80% city, 20% highway.

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Archived