LegacyGT.com

Rear bumper repair vs replace...?

EddieSpecB

My wife made a stop at the local Walmart, and on her way out she found the car about 70 feet back from its original spot, smashed against a concrete pillar.... The car hopped over and onto a sidewalk in the process, pillar stopping it by the passenger-side rear quarter panel. The e-brake was on, but apparently not hard enough... She forgot to put the car in 1st gear... This wasn't even a hill, just a slight incline, but the car managed to get enough momentum to hop over that sidewalk/curb.

One of the pictures attached shows the damage, although it was taken with a camera phone so it's not showing all the detail. Essentially, the concrete tore the bumper (there's some somewhat deep scrapes on it), in addition to denting the quarter panel. The other picture shows how far the car travelled (perspective view of the original parking spot it was on).

We decided to go the insurance route as our deductible is somewhat low. The insurance company forwarded our claim info to the shop of our choice and my wife went in today to get an assessment/estimate... In it, they stated they would repair rather than replace the rear bumper. I'm not comfortable with that notion as the bumper got dented pretty bad and has some deep scrapes. If the car was 5 years old, i wouldn't care as much, but it just turned 1 year old last week.

What's you guys' thoughts/experiences with this type of repairs in the past? This is supposed to be a reputable shop, but I'm reluctant to accept the repair. I'd really rather get a brand new bumper installed. Is this a reasonable request?

Insurance is paying for it, so not too concerned with cost. Even if that weren't the case, i would still pay to get it replaced. I just don't know if I'm being unreasonable.

Thanks in advance to anyone with any insight!

P.S. I'm kind of concerned about the color matching on the paint... The quarter panel paint cracked so it will definitely need repainting... Pearl paint isn't exactly easy to match...

IMAG0123.thumb.jpg.04a83baadb1f0511f1b001d9c3c9a053.jpg

IMAG0114.thumb.jpg.f21c0f6ea2c8869eec3abc4cbd3ad39f.jpg

A proper repair can be done and it will look great. The bumper is not a big deal to either repair or replace, the harder part (and a lot more work) is the rear quarter panel.

Yea... I actually wish it would have been the front of the car. Front fenders are so much easier to repair.

So you think, based on the type of hit/damage from the pics (I know it's not the same as in person...) this could net a good repair?

Maybe I see it worse than it is because emotions are involved... I appreciate your objective views.

Archived