LegacyGT.com

Highway vibration: wheels, tires, or suspension?

Our 05 LGT wagon with 45k recently started exhibiting an odd vibration on the highway. It feels like its riding on grooved pavement. Its not constant (depends on the road surface) and not as sever as actual grooved pavement, but it is the same effect and gets worse as speed increases from 75-80. It doesn't feel like an off balance wheel since there is no shaking in the steering wheel.

I figure it is either the F1 GS-D3s tires getting worn, 1 or more bent wheels, or a bad damper in the suspension (I have MR outback coilovers which have been known to leak, etc)

Any thoughts on how to narrow this down or other possibilities?

Thanks,

Andrew

Most likely you lost a balance weight on one of the rear wheels. You feel that in the seat not the steering wheel.

Take it to a competent shop and have them check it out.

You don't need to go to dealer for this, if the shop tells you, you have suspension problems then may be check to see if your still covered.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

rotate tires front to back and see if the intensity or noise changes at all. Any other LGT owners in the are that you could swap wheels with? Normally I would blame a tire, whether it was bad tread, unbalanced wheel, or just worn... but you mentioned the Megan coilovers. The carnage pictures I've seen posted of those online, nothing would surprise me now.

I mention the coilovers since the left front one looked slightly oily when I swapped wheels in the spring and I thought I was noticing a clunk over certain bumps a few weeks ago, but it has since stopped. According to the wife (its her daily driver) it didnt seem to happen suddenly (aka after hitting a pothole).

I am almost hoping it is the colivers...give me a reason to swap them out. I bought new springs a few months ago, but haven't pulled the trigger on bielstein struts. Since the wheels are BBS RGRs, I'd hate to have something wrong with them.

I do have a very competent (if expensive) local shop with a hunter road force system, so 'll probably talk to them.

This sounds very similar to an issue I just posted on NASIOC yesterday. Forgive the cross post, but let me know if you think this might be the same issue or something else. From the NASIOC post:

Wife is complaining about a noise from right rear of 05 LGT LTD. A rumbling type noise is heard when going over rough pavement. It only lasts a few seconds (seems to damp out fairly soon after you get over the rough pavement). That's the only time it makes noise. It doesn't sound serious to me, but it's driving her crazy. I jacked it up and checked for obvious problems and found everything nice and snug. I suspect the exhaust may be banging something, but the hangers seem good and when I grab the tailpipe to wriggle it, I can't re-create the noise. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif Since this is a rough road noisehttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2a.gif, what else should I check? Bushings, other suspension parts? As much as I hate to, I may have to take it to the dealer to keep her happy (she's nervous about taking a trip with it next week). Before I spend a day at the dealer, thought I would check here first. Thanks for any other ideas.

Mine is much longer lasting, but I am noticing it gets more/less intense while driving over the same type of pavement. I can't localize mine to the rear end though.

If this could be wheel bearings I guess I'll take it to the dealer; they are a long drive but actually cheaper than the local shop. Plus, it seems to be a known problem.

If this could be wheel bearings I guess I'll take it to the dealer; they are a long drive but actually cheaper than the local shop. Plus, it seems to be a known problem.

Good luck. Wife's car is at the dealer now. May actually get a chance to use that extended warrranty, if they find anything. Funny you should mention the dealer being cheaper than the local shop. I've run into the same situation. Local shop has steadily closed the price gap with the dealer over the last few years, so no longer any incentive to go to the "other" shop.

The most important thing is to find a shop that is doing a good job.

If the job isn't well done and the car has to go back it's too expensive.

But if all other factors are equal, the dealer wins (especially if you have a dealer warranty).

• 6 years later...
I'm having a similar issue. Above 60mph, the car (05 lgt) rumbles like crazy. It started in the back but I also had shake in the steering wheel and shifter (even in nuetral). Above 75, the glove box would be rattling. I just got the car and it has new front discs and breaks. I don't know about the rest wheel bearing

i have a vibration that i feel in the seat at 75-80+. but i know its two bent wheels in the back. next winter im getting a new set; im sticking it out this winter, but that is what caused my problem that sounds very similar to yours

i have a vibration that i feel in the seat at 75-80+. but i know its two bent wheels in the back. next winter im getting a new set; im sticking it out this winter, but that is what caused my problem that sounds very similar to yours

Any wheel shop can straighten your wheels for around $80 a wheel or so depending on the damage.

They is a great place in Windsor Locks if your close.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Any wheel shop can straighten your wheels for around $80 a wheel or so depending on the damage.

They is a great place in Windsor Locks if your close.

considering i got the set of 5 for $250 and that apparently the damage isnt pretty, I dont think its worth the repair cost. Im planning on getting a different set next winter that will also fit better. dont know what ill do with this set.

but thank you for the info!

Archived