LegacyGT.com

Oil-synthetic or dino

Lgt 2006 stage 2 145k miles. Daily driver. Is there a consensus as to using dino oil (I changed at 5k) or synthetic oil (I switched and am changing at 5k). Synthetic is much more costly. Does it make a difference?

thanks

gary

LGT? Yeah, peanut oil is the only appropriate lubricant. High flashpoint, high in Omega 3-6-9 fatty acids, just a great all around lipid.

Sounds like somebody had to much Redbull this morning. :)

Poor new guy.

I used dino oil for my first 154,000 miles. OCI between 3750 and 5000 miles. The turbo went at 142,000 miles. I replaced the short block at 154,000 because of oil useage and I plan to keep the car for a long time.

I could have kept the orginal short block in there and kept adding oil, but I didn't want to.

Now I use Amsoil European 5w-40 with 5-6000 mile oil changes.

OP there are a ton of oil threads. Read them!

The important thing is to keep the oil topped off, NEVER,NEVER,NEVER let it get low.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

OP there are a ton of oil threads. Read them!

The important thing is to keep the oil topped off, NEVER,NEVER,NEVER let it get low.

This.

I'm a dick because this question gets asked far too much. All you gotta do is do a bit of searching, or look at stickies.

I'm relatively new and wondering if this would be an appropriate response post:

"this has been asked to death... to death..."

but seriously, either way has its fans. dino or synth. lots to search.

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Personally, I wouldn't try to push conventional oil to 5k unless you're doing basically all highway miles. After 3750, the conventional oil is looking pretty toast, and I'm 100% stock.

If you want to try it, just get am oil analysis. That'll tell you the correct answer.

For a few dollars more you can go from dino to syn oil. I believe the heat properties of synthetic or semi syn are better for motors.

I believe the OCI was lowered to 3750 because the car was originally spec'd to run dino.

Feel pretty comfortable with a good, non-mobil1 5w30 or royal purpal, syn oil running 7500 miles. Check oil level regularly.

This.

I'm a dick because this question gets asked far too much. All you gotta do is do a bit of searching, or look at stickies.

Don't worry, I know your a ... ;) LOL

You were just getting fed up with all the oil threads...

Us old timers get that way every now and then. lol

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived