LegacyGT.com

problems after problems....

im going to try to be as detailed as possible...

so last Thursday I let my wife barrow my legacy for her to do some errands. then i get the call..... and im going to put this exactly how she explained it to me. she had told me the car wasnt going into any gear and finally after pumping the clutch pedal trying to put the car in gear it went all the way to floor. the car was running just fine up until it fell into her hands so of course i was pissed. finally i was able to go look at the car myself and the pedal was almost going all the way to the floor it only had very little pressure once it almost got to the floor. this got me to go look at the reservoir on the master cylinder and the level did drop. so i topped it off and pumped the clutch to see if i can get more pressure then it already had and nothing changed. and this is where it starts to get really weird. then i turned on the car and heard a loud chattering noise and immediately turned the car off. i then looked in the engine bay to see anything obvious and then asked my wife to turn on the car and i just heard a "clunk" and everytime i turned the key to the start position i would hear "clunk" and this is with the clutch all the way to the floor. i noticed every time i tried to crank it over i would feel a tiny amount of resistance on the clutch pedal (when pushed down) when it made that "clunk" sound. what could this be? can my motor be some how seized? or something jammed in the transmission? linkages? master or slave cylinder?the car rolls on neutral and gears go in when car is turned off:confused:

Well how low was the reservoir ? If it got low enough and air in the system you would have to bleed it. Seams like you would probably have a leak, possibly a bad master or slave cylinder, if the car is running and you cant ''release the clutch'' you wont be able to get into any gear, while its off you should be able to get it into most gears, if the motor doesn't turn over in neutral, and there's one clunk, i would lead to believe something has gone wrong with the clutch or the fork and jammed itself in the bell housing ?

My guess would be something like a broken spring on the pressure plate. Might even have slung out and is lodged between the flywheel and bellhousing, preventing the car from starting.

Go easy on the wife. Stuff happens, good chance it wasn't her fault. . . or if it was, tell yourself it was something weak that needed replacing anyway. Whether it's true or not, zero reason to be a dick to her about it.

how many miles ? Im wondering if the release bearing possibly failed, or some of the fingers on the clutch have broken off

Finally had some time to review the problem and turns out my clutch fork came off the throw out bearing and I'm assuming one of the retaining pins came off and is what's bouncing around in my bell housing. So now I have to remove the trans. Ugh:mad:

I know when I let my wife drive on of the other cars they always start making noises. She was complaining about my rear wheel bearing in the Legacy the last time this happened. If she drives the beat up van all is good.

Archived