LegacyGT.com

Battlewagon Progress Thread

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been really around, but the time to revive the old battlewagon is here.

The Battlewagon is a 1991 Legacy wagon in that light blue color with a 5 speed and 228,000 miles. It's the roughest and worst pile of garbage I have ever driven. I bought it for $300 over a year ago when it was barely running, patched it together, and made it my daily.

The top 3/4 of panels are still light blue, but dented, scratched, and beaten. The lower section is done in white plastidip, like the Outback 2 tone jobs, but much worse. There is visible rust and primer, and the plastidip has Sharpie writing on the back with things like "Bumper? I barely know her!"

The shifter bushings are utterly destroyed, making every shift a guess. If that wasn't enough, the clutch is original. 228,000 miles on a clutch is just as absolutely terrible as it sounds. The clutch doesn't engage until very top of the pedal, and is more of a switch than a clutch.

The exhaust when I got it had the resonator replaced with straight pipe. When the muffler rusted off, I put a thrush stainless on. Rust has set in by the Y pipe, however, so I get flames from the underside every time I shift or engine brake down a hill. It's also quite loud and throaty, making it the most hilarious car I've ever driven. Because it's so slow but loud, it's the exact opposite of a sleeper.

She also leaks fuel when the tank is topped off, and just about every seal of the engine is gone. The timing belt also hasn't been changed in about 170,000 miles, so that's another of barrel of monkeys to deal with.

I was driving it as is, until Christmas day when the crank bolt backed out and the pulley wobbled around eating everything it could get, including the woodruff key and the snout of the crank.

Now, I know what you're thinking. "Randy, why the hell are you driving this? Has exhaust leak gone to your head?" The answer to the latter question is a firm probably, but back in the fall, I had planned on scrapping the car when spring came when the inspection was up.

Then the snow came. 40 inches of snow in about 3 days. I hadn't driven the car since the snow started, so she was buried. I went out, cleaned the glass, and started the car. The snow was so deep that it wouldn't rev even after I cleared the tail pipe. The snow was so high that the airbox was completely covered. Once I took care of that, I threw it into reverse. With some mediocre All Seasons, she plowed her way out with no issues. That's when I knew that I had to save her.

So I'm going home from school next weekend to start putting her back together, starting with the woodruff key madness.

I'll be doing a full timing job (belt, idlers, tensioners, water pump, thermostat, cam and crank seals, probable oil pump reseal). I'll yank whatever is left of that old key and slide the new one in. If there is damage under the timing sprocket (that I haven't removed yet), my plan is to patch it with just enough metal epoxy and torquing it back together.

While I'm doing the timing, we will probably also flush the brakes completely (brake fluid is supposed to be brown, right? :lol:), patch the exhaust, and any other little things I can find.

I'll upload some up to date pictures when I get home next week to show you just how odd she is.

Just a little thread to keep everything straight for my work records for it and to let you guys know that there will be one less 1st gen getting turned into scrap :)

I had/have one of those, pretty much same details and issues. Minus the rusty exhaust, came to me with blown hg's leaked from every seal wrecked on the passenger side doors and rocker panel and torn up interior. The ride home with it was faultless other than the random overheating while stopped and it dipped like a boat in a wake from 4 extremely old struts. Glad to hear another one getting a new life. Good job and hope the progress gives the car its justice. Very worth saving if possible.

Mine is a silver 90 ls when done it will be caged, battleship grey with the original grey and black interior and ready for showing off available customization.

She's a snow belt car, though, and she shows it with rust popping up everywhere. The fact that the last owner parked exclusively with the Braille method doesn't help much either, but this car will probably never look show worthy again. It's more of the physical manifestation of "Function over form" since it's extremely reliable and practical, but not a pretty car.

• 2 weeks later...

Great Success!

This timing job hadn't been done since 1997 according to the service records, and that was about 180,000 miles ago, so there were some challenges to this one. The crank sprocket broke a screwdriver, two gear pullers, and my pride to remove, and the water pump gasket was fun to remove.

But she lives and runs very well. Too well, actually. I quickly found that after 3 months of sitting, the car's brakes got worse than when I parked it (which I didn't think was possible).

So I had 24 hours until I had to drive back to school across the state. In that time, we pulled an all nighter and replaced the pads and rotors on every wheel, and one caliper. It stops in an almost acceptable distance now, so I had to book it to school.

The shakedown run was a midnight run of 150 miles of interstate on a timing job with 20 miles and a brake job of about 5 miles. What could go wrong?

Absolutely nothing.

The battlewagon lives!

I'll see if I can get some this week.

I just put about 400 miles on it this weekend, bringing the total up to 700 since the work was done. There were a few bugs, but she's running well now. Very well, actually. As in "proper application of steering and throttle will send the tail out sideways in a ballet movement of smoking tire and screaming boxer" well.

This car does not have my permission to die yet lol

• 2 weeks later...

http://imgur.com/09W9wQg

http://imgur.com/8KdLrLg

http://imgur.com/YQTKFS5

The BattleWagon in her current state. This thing a literal joke on wheels.

Edit: The forum doesn't seem to like the photos, so have some links.

http://imgur.com/09W9wQg

http://imgur.com/8KdLrLg

http://imgur.com/YQTKFS5

Does of really have a photon torpedo? Gotta get one of those..lol. I see lots of potential, especially since you have commenced on the motor work, cosmetics just takes time and motivation; of course a little money.

I probably won't get to make this car look nice. This summer is dedicated to rust, since both rocker panels have rust holes and tons of body panels are in bad shape. This car is going to be a "Drive it until I lose to the rust" car, after which it will probably go to LeMons for a few races as a fitting retirement.

To give an idea of how bad the rust is, putting the back end of the car up on jack stands is terrifying because one jacking point is rusted and doesn't support weight, and the other is gone. Not rusty-gone, but rusted away to the point where it is missing. Being a PA car, it does have to go through annual inspection, which expired yesterday :/ , so that's really a limiting factor for me.

There is a product out there that claims to prevent further rust/corrosion. Cant remember the name but, Its an electronic device that hooks to ground and power. I think it uses a ground plate that works as sacrificial metal. I saw it on one of those spike tv car shows a couple years back.

Archived