LegacyGT.com

Engine issues? subbie newb!!

Hi, my name is luke, this is my first subbie. It's a 2000 LGT 4AT, 214k.

My issues are:

1. Exhasut leak close to the block I am assuming on the header

2. Smell of gasoline on start-up and first 2-4 minutes of running, Again assuming becuase of the exhuast leak

3. Smell of anti-freeze while idling and fan is on in car, HG leak?

4. Brakes seem weak, you ahve to pretty far down to come to a quick halt. I will be bleeding them sometime this week to see if that helps at all.

These are my current issues, overall the rest of the car is in good working order and condition. This is my new DD, so i would like to fix these problems ASAP. I am mechanically inclined and have friends with subbie experience, so am not worried about getting my hands dirty on this.

Any info you guys could providewould be awesome, evetually this car will get(once these items are sorted out) CAI, Borla Header, Full cat-back, eibach or H&R springs, rallitek sway bars, cusco strut bars and some new pullies.

Thanks for the help guys,

luke

I am planning on doing a new HG very soon, well the new gasket kit.

I popped the cap offf the brake resevoir and pumped the brakes and they seemed to be a small but better increasse in the "bite" but I am unimpressed still overall.

if your going to do all those mods you might as well just do a full engine rebuild if you smelling coolant. What motor is in your car because the DOHC EJ25's are known for having head gasket issues especially with 214K...

Any info you guys could providewould be awesome, evetually this car will get(once these items are sorted out) CAI, Borla Header, Full cat-back, eibach or H&R springs, rallitek sway bars, cusco strut bars and some new pullies.

Shame your car isn't one year older. I have springs, strut bars, etc... for BD/BG's...

My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

if your going to do all those mods you might as well just do a full engine rebuild if you smelling coolant. What motor is in your car because the DOHC EJ25's are known for having head gasket issues especially with 214K...

I'm almost 100% positive since 2000 all the NA engines are SOHC.

Anyway, the DOHC head gasket issue was almost always internal, whereas the SOHC had external leaks.

Yes I am assuming that it is external because there is no white smoke pouring out of the exhaust, and I only smell it coming in through the vents while sitting still and idling. I am assuming its leaking and burning off somewhere on the block or header........

PS yeppers it's SOHC

Yes I am assuming that it is external because there is no white smoke pouring out of the exhaust, and I only smell it coming in through the vents while sitting still and idling. I am assuming its leaking and burning off somewhere on the block or header........

PS yeppers it's SOHC

Smell through the vents? Could be a heater core in that case.

Does your overflow tank ever overflow? Because that is a sure sign of a HG leak.

Do you have a rear strut bar for a wagon or know a part number / someone that has one?

Unfortunately, I have only the front strut bars (two of them... One is a brand new $250 STi and the other (when it was new) is a $250 SYMS... which I'm willing to part with for much cheaper due to them being not usable for me.) I do, however, have JDM racing springs for the wagon and they are brand spanking new. I bought them when I was in Japan and shipped them back here without knowing whether they would fit or not (My Japenese isn't as good as it should be...) Unfortunately, the $230+$250 USD shipping cost was not worth it and I ended up getting H&R springs through SPO. I still have both sets of springs. H&Rs are used (about 7000 miles on them) and the wagon springs have literaly never been put on anything. I'll have to take a peek at what will fit the wagon and maybe you would be interested. I can always take pictures of the springs and you can certainly let me know if they'll fit. If so, I'll be more than willing to dump them to you at a fantastic price (I've had them for 5 years due to them not fitting.)

-Janketh

Pm me pics and prices on the springs. Mine's the L, not the GT. Still should fit right?

From what I understand, as long as your body is the BG, the springs should fit. However, we might want to do a bit of research so you don't end up like me... stuck with springs that don't fit. :) I'll take pictures and upload them this weekend.

BG = wagon right? BK = GTB / Outback? Or do I have that backwards?

Yup. You're correct. BG is wagon and BD is sedan. I'll see if I can find some information online this week as to the diameter for the fronts and backs and I should be able to find out whether they'll fit or not.

Sweet, let me know when you have the pics up.

Okay. Got some pictures up of the springs on http://www.soapintheintercooler.com/ on the main page. They're at the bottom (green). Do you know the dimensions of your current springs? The springs I have are:

All springs are 11 5/8 " tall.

Small springs are 4 1/8" O.D.

Large springs are 6 5/8" at top and 6" even at bottom O.D.

Archived