LegacyGT.com

Need suspension compressor for 1991 legacy....or perhaps should convert?

blue2oct7

Long story short, the bearings are worn out in my air suspension compressor.

I have been looking for a replacement compressor. The only 2 I know of are in different states from me. One was not willing to sell to me and one quoted me a price and said "as-is" & will not accept returns even if part does not work. I can get a brand new one for around $400, but am not willing to spend a 1/3 of my car's max value on one part!!!

I also have seen a universal compressor, but am a little weary of installing a non-OEM part. I know it says "universal," but you can never be too careful.

I also know that I have the option to convert this car to a non-air suspension system (I know I can find that cheap from a junkyard), but don't know if it's worth the time and effort. Perhaps it is. I plan on selling the car later this year, and may even have a buyer.

Help! Does anyone, anywhere know of or have a compressor? A rebuild kit for a compressor (does such a thing even exist)? Know of mechanics who can rebuild them? Know where I could possibly find bearings for the compressor? Someone has these parts, otherwise compressors would not be possible.

There is a place in TN that rebuilds your existing unit (if rebuildable) for $150, not including shipping. Is that too pricey for a rebuild?

Thanks!

Long story short, the bearings are worn out in my air suspension compressor.

I have been looking for a replacement compressor. The only 2 I know of are in different states from me. One was not willing to sell to me and one quoted me a price and said "as-is" & will not accept returns even if part does not work. I can get a brand new one for around $400, but am not willing to spend a 1/3 of my car's max value on one part!!!

I also have seen a universal compressor, but am a little weary of installing a non-OEM part. I know it says "universal," but you can never be too careful.

I also know that I have the option to convert this car to a non-air suspension system (I know I can find that cheap from a junkyard), but don't know if it's worth the time and effort. Perhaps it is. I plan on selling the car later this year, and may even have a buyer.

Help! Does anyone, anywhere know of or have a compressor? A rebuild kit for a compressor (does such a thing even exist)? Know of mechanics who can rebuild them? Know where I could possibly find bearings for the compressor? Someone has these parts, otherwise compressors would not be possible.

There is a place in TN that rebuilds your existing unit (if rebuildable) for $150, not including shipping. Is that too pricey for a rebuild?

Thanks!

I believe the air suspension on that car is only in the rear. If that is the case I would consider converting it over to non-air suspension. Shouldn't be too costly.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Archived