LegacyGT.com

New or used, and are warranties transferable?

Scrim

I have been shopping around for a Legacy GT with 5MT, and am considering ordering a new 08 from the dealer. However, I have an opportunity to purchase a used 07 Spec. B with less than 15k miles for a few thousand less than the new LGT. The used car would be from a private seller.

I have been reading through these forums (I am a new member) and it seems that the Spec B is highly regarded, but basically the same car as the GT. I'm your usual driver: I like to launch from the stop lights and hit the highway onramps at a good clip, but don't careen around corners or generally race on the roads. The nav. feature is not of interest to me, and question whether VDC will really do anything for my type of driving. HOWEVER, I like the idea of 6MT, and the extra suspension isn't a drawback!

First question: If I buy a used Subaru from an individual, will the warranty be transferable? Is the warranty "registered" to the VIN so that any dealer I take it to knows it's under warranty? The car would be going to a different dealer than it was purchased at for servicing. Do I need to do anything in order to transfer it to me, or does just owning the car mean that it's covered.

In the general sense, would it be better to get the new car so that I know it hasn't been beaten on? It is evident that the seller is going through some hard times right now and doesn't need the extra car payments, and he has owned several Subaru's in the past. Are the Legacys like a Timex, takes a licking and keeps on ticking?

Also, the Spec B has the spoiler on the back and I really don't want one. It's not that it looks bad, I'm just not sure if it fits my personality. I would rather have a "sleeper." Is it that big a deal to take it off? How do you fill in the holes? I would also consider taking off all of the insignia, is that difficult to do and are those holes a pain in the butt?

I own a late model Subaru Outback, and absolutley love it. Before that it was a 1983 Subaru for many long years, and that was a great little car.

Thanks for your help and replies, it's not everyday that we consider buying a [new] car.

soa warranties are transferrable, but you will pay extra for it (meaning value of warranty plus cost of car)...the original owner can also cash it out and the bank, if their is a lein, will get the refunded money or the owner if the car is payed off. not sure how to determine the value...i always had the dealership figure it out. should be able to call the number on the warranty contract to find out. i am not sure if aftermarket, non subaru warranties are transferrable. i usually only mess with dealer warranties.

i also bought used (4500mi) over new, but i knew the car wasnt beat down in those miles. good luck.

I think the op is asking about the standard 3/36 warranty, not the extended warranty. the basic warranty goes with the car.

I say buy used, let someone else pay for the depreciation. 07 is pratically new.

X

---

soa warranties are transferrable, but you will pay extra for it (meaning value of warranty plus cost of car)...the original owner can also cash it out and the bank, if their is a lein, will get the refunded money or the owner if the car is payed off. not sure how to determine the value...i always had the dealership figure it out. should be able to call the number on the warranty contract to find out. i am not sure if aftermarket, non subaru warranties are transferrable. i usually only mess with dealer warranties.

i also bought used (4500mi) over new, but i knew the car wasnt beat down in those miles. good luck.

:confused:

Hmmmm, I didn't know anything about "cashing in" a warranty. In fact, I'm not sure if I know the proper procedure for purchasing a used car :eek:

I do know that he has a bank loan on it right now.

Anymore info on the warranty would be great!

Thanks

I think what people were saying is that if the owner bought an extended warranty (at extra cost) from a Subaru dealer, the original purchaser of the extended warranty has the option of cashing it out and getting a partial refund, instead of transferring it with the car. To transfer the extended warranty with the car, I believe there is a nominal fee ($50 ?, not sure about the exact amount).

Basically, the extended warranty (if you buy one) is pro-rated for the period of time you have the car, in the event you want to cash it out when you sell the car to someone else. But, you can also choose to sell the extended warranty with the car. It is up to the original purchaser.

:confused:

Hmmmm, I didn't know anything about "cashing in" a warranty. In fact, I'm not sure if I know the proper procedure for purchasing a used car :eek:

I do know that he has a bank loan on it right now.

Anymore info on the warranty would be great!

Thanks

yep, what they said^^, anything (extended) over the original warranty can be cashed in if the car is sold before it expires. i do put alot of miles on a car, so i get a 7/70,000 or in the case of the suby a 5/100,000. if i sell the car before the warranty expires, i can cash out on the remaining value of the loan or transfer the remaining loan and get the money from the dealership taking the trade or the value from the direct buyer. the 3/36,000 warranty stays with the car until it expires, regardless of owner and can not be cashed out (my unsderstanding). that is why the majority of used cars are marked as having a warranty...the remainder of the factory or a 3 mo if the milage is outside the factory warranty and the dealer is going to suck it up. the good thing with this is that the dealership can give good deals on these warranties and use that as a selling point. when you cash them in on trade, it goes by the factory value. my 06 dakota warranty, i made money on when i traded the truck because of the discount the dealer gave me on it. i sat down and read all the fine print on my warranty documents...good stuff there.

I'm interested in picking up a low mile 05 GT as well, but have this question:

The 5yr/60k mi powertrain warranty should transfer. HOWEVER - do you need to get maintenance records from the original owner?

I don't want to be denied a warranty because the old owner went 500mi over an oil change, etc, or just doesn't have documentation for it.

The factory warranty comes with the car regardless of ownership. You can transfer ownership as many times as you want and the warranty is still in effect as long as it is still within it's limits(i.e 3/36k basic, 5/60k powertrain,etc).

SAS Added Security is different.The Agreement belongs to the original owner. You can transfer it but it will not be accepted without the original owner’s signature, acknowledging that they are relinquishing their rights to cancellation.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Archived