LegacyGT.com

RIP 2005 Legacy GT

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see you say you picked up 08 split rear seats-These will fit in 05 sedan? Would rear split seats from an 05 wagon fit in 05 sedan?

Funny you should mention this as I just started looking into this today. I should be able to tell you this weekend if they fit as I was going to try putting them in. I grabbed the rear 08 seats from a wagon, but I have no idea if they will fit yet. They seem to be the same as my 05 sedan seats. So I guess the 05 seats from a wagon should work as well but I am unsure if the mounting points on the back of the seats are the same for the sedan and wagon.

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

Very interested in the front end swap; I'd be interested to see what all work goes into that and someday attempt the same.

Well, you need the following to make things work.

Front fenders,

front bumper,

Front bumper beam,

Front bumper beam foam,

Front Headlights,

And front Grill.

You can re-use your hood

Removing those parts took me less then an hr from the doner car. It took me way more time prepping and painting then the actual install of the part.

But I am happy to help when you decide to make the swap.

Thanks! I've got a while before I dive into that type of a project, but I appreciate the offer and I'm subbed to the thread so I may follow up later when I get around to it. Got a bunch of other projects to clear off my plate first though.

Looks great! I like the lip on the facelift USDM front end.

RE wagon seats in a sedan. I'm not sure its going to work because I know us wagon guys can't grab sedan seats to put in our wagons. I believe the way the backrest attaches for the folding section in the sedans is a different mechanism than the folding mechanism for wagons.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Looks great! I like the lip on the facelift USDM front end.

RE wagon seats in a sedan. I'm not sure its going to work because I know us wagon guys can't grab sedan seats to put in our wagons. I believe the way the backrest attaches for the folding section in the sedans is a different mechanism than the folding mechanism for wagons.

Thank Magnusonsubie.

Yea I kinda though that would be the case after looking at pics of the conversion. Gonna see if its worth while to try and convert the wagon seats, or if I can make it work in some way, otherwise I'm gonna be on the hunt for some sedan seats. :spin:

• 1 month later...

So I cleaned up the Engine bay a little after installing the JDM engine covers.

I am thinking of painting all of the engine covers copper orange/gold like the strut mounts of my coilovers, and colour match the oil, washer, PS, brake fluid covers to the colour of the car, just a thought what do you guys think?

30996399606_0a686a1ad7_h.jpg

Still todo

- Cut & polished the front end,

- Wire & Install the foglights

- Install Taillight overlays

- Paint JDM Spats

- Install Catted Downpipe

- Install 08 Aux-line in with OEM aux box & tray

Next on my list of things to purchase

Purchase aftermarket OEM Headlights

Purchase Projector retrofit kit.

Purchase new TMIC or FMIC.

Headlights + Retro fit = around $720

New GS TMIC = $1350

But with xmas around the corner I'm only going to get one of these purchased this year.

The headlights are bad enough to irritate me whenever I look at the car. :spin: But I have been told that I need to upgrade the IC before going to stage2 :rolleyes:

decisions, decisions.

I am thinking of painting all of the engine covers copper orange/gold like the strut mounts of my coilovers, and colour match the oil, washer, PS, brake fluid covers to the colour of the car, just a thought what do you guys think?

Don't do that. That would be a little too much, IMO.

The headlights are bad enough to irritate me whenever I look at the car. :spin: But I have been told that I need to upgrade the IC before going to stage2 :rolleyes:

decisions, decisions.

You DO NOT have to do the TMIC to go Stage 2. In general, stage 2 equates to (Up-pipe, Downpipe, and computer tune for those items). Stage 1 would just be doing the computer tune.

There are a number of other things you can do during stage 2 (TGV, Injectors, intake, TMIC, EBCS, etc.) that would require additional computer tuning, but they are not required to be considered "stage 2".

In general, Stage 3 is when you do your turbo upgrade.

I would do my headlights over a TMIC.

Don't do that. That would be a little too much, IMO.

You DO NOT have to do the TMIC to go Stage 2. In general, stage 2 equates to (Up-pipe, Downpipe, and computer tune for those items). Stage 1 would just be doing the computer tune.

There are a number of other things you can do during stage 2 (TGV, Injectors, intake, TMIC, EBCS, etc.) that would require additional computer tuning, but they are not required to be considered "stage 2".

In general, Stage 3 is when you do your turbo upgrade.

I would do my headlights over a TMIC.

Ok I won't paint anything in the Bay....for now :lol:

Forgot to say I have a small leak in my stock TMIC, not even enough to throw a code, but throwing more power at it would make it go boom a lot quicker.

I have an EBCS already, just don't want to throw it on because I will definitely need a tune after that. But I am trying to wait on getting a dyno/etune until I have everything. Ie. rebuilt vf52, fuel pump, & injectors.....which I am still on the fence about if I should stay sidefeed or do the top feed conversion

If leaking TMIC, you can get the BarManBean bullet proof kit to hold you off, pick up another stock TMIC, or upgrade to the GS TMIC :)

If you are gonna spend money, might as well do it once than a few times. Once the end tanks start to separate, it will only get worse. I would vote TMIC in your case!

• 1 month later...

Well it's been over a month since my last update...

with Xmas over I can finally put my focus back on my legacy. I will be looking to pick up a TMIC and finally send out my VF52 for a rebuild in the coming months, as well as make a decision on side or top feed.

I did install my fog lights, and not even two weeks later I see them both cracked. :mad::mad:

Picked up the following parts

All weather legacy mats,

AVO pitch stop,

nexus7,

upgraded oil line & filter,

Grimspeed turbo heatshield

09 replacement headlights

DW300 fuel pump

Retro-quick kit

Put on my winter wheels and tires, will be working on getting the tablet setup/installed, retrofitting the new projectors once they get here, as well as sourcing a few more parts. Some big things coming for 2017. Wishing you guys a very happy, prosperous, and joyful new year.

Well it's been over a month since my last update...

with Xmas over I can finally put my focus back on my legacy. I will be looking to pick up a TMIC and finally send out my VF52 for a rebuild in the coming months, as well as make a decision on side or top feed.

I did install my fog lights, and not even two weeks later I see them both cracked. :mad::mad:

Picked up the following parts

All weather legacy mats,

AVO pitch stop,

nexus7,

upgraded oil line & filter,

Grimspeed turbo heatshield

09 replacement headlights

DW300 fuel pump

Retro-quick kit

Put on my winter wheels and tires, will be working on getting the tablet setup/installed, retrofitting the new projectors once they get here, as well as sourcing a few more parts. Some big things coming for 2017. Wishing you guys a very happy, prosperous, and joyful new year.

Talk to whoever you plan on using to tune about the side/top feed conversion. They will steer you in the right direction with pros and cons and what they like tuning best

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

• 3 weeks later...

Well Its been a little while since my last update, decided to go with the Top feed Conversion, also almost due for an oil change so trying to make a visit out to seven automotive to finally get my killer b oil pick and baffle installed, still too cold up here in Canada for me to be doing any motor work. Also ordered a few parts for my suspension upgrades as I have a slight knock that I know is a torn front sway bar bushing.

Ordered or will be ordering the following.

- Top Feed Conversion w/Top feed tgv deletes (From a member on here)

- Top Feed injectors 850cc-1000cc (To be Ordered)

- JDM Cubby & JDM Trip computer Relocation Kit (Ordered, patiently waiting for them to be delivered)

- 20mm Whiteline Rear Sway Bar (Ordered - From a member on here)

- Kartboy Front & Rear Endlinks (Ordered - From a member on here)

- Front Sway Bar bushings (To be ordered)

- Rear Sway Bar Bushings (To be Ordered)

- Shifter Bushings (To be Ordered)

- Group N transmission mount (Searching for one)

- S402 black interior trim peices(have 2 of 14 pieces)

Installed Retro-Quik Kit from Prolightz, and switchbacks from Amazon. First impressions the kit seems really good, very easy to install and hook up, also came with everything needed to make the kit work was 100% plug and play, but that will also depend on what you order from the kit. Install took me a few hrs as I took my time, and I had to bake and open two sets of headlights, retro-fit one, and re-seal one. On top of the fact that for the 4th gen legacy the whole front bumper needs to come off to take out the front headlights . Total time 5-6hrs start to finish.

The front end Looks 10x better IMO, what do you guys think

32213408326_0b150ca3f5_c.jpg

31550973244_4a35525cc7_h.jpg

Next up I will be ordering GS TMIC, Sending out my VF52 for a custom rebuild from JMP, trying to source a new steering wheel, new/flawless door panels, as well as a rare JDM part that will be kept a secret until I have it in my hand, and a few more pieces to convert my interior to black.

The interior items don't have a due date as I'm more concerned with quality first then price so it may take longer to find those considering s402 parts are hard to come by. The TMIC & VF52 I would like to have installed and get the car tuned before the first track day in April, will have to see how well I can stick to that timeline.

Be ready for some impact fun getting the body bolts out. My air compressor peaks at 120lb and even with the 1/2 impact gun took some work to back the bolts out.

Yea I know a manager at an auto shop I used to work at, and I am probably going to do the work there hopefully they come out with ease. I was able to pull my transmission mount brackets, and suspension bolts with an electric impact gun so shouldn't be too bad.

Really digging that front lip man.. got a link Tobe here I can acquire it?? Will it fit the stock 05-06 front end?

So I didn't test fit it on the 05-06 but the overall dimensions of the 05-06 bumper are very close to the dimensions of the 08-09 so it should fit the same way with just a little trimming from the front lip. I have listed two ebay links for the lip I purchased.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Made-for-2006-2007-SUBARU-IMPREZA-WRX-STi-SP-CS2-Style-JDM-Front-Bumper-Chin-Lip-/111857693771?hash=item1a0b3cf44b:g:dWQAAOSwNyFWe7Uq&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CS-Style-Front-Lip-Urethane-Fits-06-07-Impreza-WRX-STI-/390937846841?hash=item5b05b62439:g:IlUAAOSwq5lToP~W&vxp=mtr

But I am considering ordering this one below this summer to see if it fits better.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fit-For-08-10-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-STI-CS-Style-Front-Bumper-Lip-Spoiler-PU-Kit-/271819720307?hash=item3f49b7c673:g:tqgAAOSwAYtWHG91&vxp=mtr

The one have currently doesn't fit perfectly as the pieces on the side are slightly bent inwards(a little heat from a heat gun would fix this). There is a very small gap that is not at all noticeable but I know its there and can be somewhat of a perfectionist sometimes so I am going to buy the one I mentioned to see if it fits better.

Interesting... despite the cheaper price tag, I think the more aggressive flares on your current one might not look as good as the subtle flares of the more expensive ones; with out having your facelift 08/09 kit. I think the current setup benefits from said facelift, and to pull it off with the 05/06 front end I'd need some kind of body kit/ side skirts.. along with some spats and a jdm bumper (hell add a diffuser; might as well!) Then I'd be able to pull er off!

In any case, I might beat ya to the second option and post up how she fits... have to reread how you paint matched it so well tho, that looks fantastic!

Definately looking forward to pics if you grab the lip, let me know how it looks and fits.

Thanks I will be posting pics of the front and rear spats that I am currently painting so I maybe able to get you some better pics of the painting process.

• I Donated Too
I had zero intentions of modding this car

Yep. Nice car... I started like you too... zero intentions. Look what happened to me and I own two of the buggers now with intentions of fully modifying the second after saying I definitely won't touch that one.

Yep. Nice car... I started like you too... zero intentions. Look what happened to me and I own two of the buggers now with intentions of fully modifying the second after saying I definitely won't touch that one.

Thanks, I am working up to your level of insanity. Not sure whats wrong with us.

I keep pushing the idea to my wife of picking up a wagon or an FXT for the extra space for a second vehicle. Knowing I can't leave things well enough alone, and that I would have two cars to toy with, she is absouletly not on board. Yet!

but I'm wearing her down, :lol:

• I Donated Too

I got in trouble last week when I was read the riot act because I actually have three Legacy cars... one is non-turbo and meant to have been my daily. But it's too slow.

Anyway... it was unfortunate that ALL three cars had *something* wrong with them so 3/3 were technically broken and the missus lost it with me because of the insanity. I fixed the broken endlink on one car, changed the power steering pump on another and got the clutch done on the third. All has gone back to being quiet for now...