LegacyGT.com

**Official** Mid-Atlantic FS and WTB/WTT Thread!

LegacyGTBiggie

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Up soon - CNT catted downpipe. Reason for swap: GrimmSpeed catted downpipe with a better-for-environment/OBDII compliant catalytic converter.

I should get the new pipe within a week and be able to sell after that. Pics will be available once I pull it.

Up soon - CNT catted downpipe. Reason for swap: GrimmSpeed catted downpipe with a better-for-environment/OBDII compliant catalytic converter.

I should get the new pipe within a week and be able to sell after that. Pics will be available once I pull it.

What does being an OBDII compliant cat mean? Why does it even matter?

I have a feeling that there is some kool-aid being drank here claiming that one catted DP is "better for the environment" than another DP. I'll give you that there are differences in the quality of cats...that's always going to be the case when they come from different manufacturers. But what metric is being used to determine "better for the environment".

Anyways you look at it, that GrimmSpeed DP is modifying the emissions system and removing one cat in the downpipe from a system that was designed to have two cats in the DP.

The claim that it is 49-state legal is dubious...no where on the Grimmspeed website does it state that. The website does state:

"GrimmSpeed aftermarket downpipes modify OEM emissions control devices and are intended only for off-road racing applications."

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying don't go with a catted downpipe...but if you're replacing a perfectly good catted DP with another catted DP for the reasons stated, I feel that's a lot of work for zero gain. Unless I have missed something entirely.

I spoke with GrimmSpeed, who stated it is OBDII compliant. The cat is sourced to meet the requirements. Others have run the GrimmSpeed cat on the sniffer and passed with flying colors. Cores from GESi carry EPA stamp and run $400 if bought individually.

The CNT cat is around 200 cells, whereas the GrimmSpeed is 300 cell. I will boldy make the claim the CNT will likely not pass metered emissions.

I alluded that the CNT simply doesn't cut down enough on smell for me and as such I would like a higher quality unit that also produces legal levels of emissions.

Edited by compsurge

I spoke with GrimmSpeed, who stated it is OBDII compliant. The cat is sourced to meet the requirements. Others have run the GrimmSpeed cat on the sniffer and passed with flying colors. Cores from GESi carry EPA stamp and run $400 if bought individually.

The CNT cat is around 200 cells, whereas the GrimmSpeed is 300 cell. I will boldy make the claim the CNT will likely not pass metered emissions.

I alluded that the CNT simply doesn't cut down enough on smell for me and as such I would like a higher quality unit that also produces legal levels of emissions.

Cool. I get that a higher cell cat will reduce the smell for sure.

I wouldn't be surprised though if the CNT did indeed pass emissions. If I remember correctly, MD is a idle sniffer test state. Just make sure the car is warmed up to operating temperatures, and it should pass just fine at idle.

What does OBDII compliant mean anyways? Does that mean you won't pull a CEL without tuning?

Since these are OBDII cars, they are talking about meeting the original emissions requirements for the car. It most likely would allow you to run without the RomRaider/Cobb checkbox for remove P0704, but I'd still require a burden of proof before making that statement. You would never want to run a less restrictive downpipe without a tune.

Colorado has an emissions test where they do a drive-through under load. I'm not sure if they ran this pipe through there yet, but they did pass the CO emissions station. Invidia (higher quality than CNT) downpipes failed it before.

I don't have any inspection or emissions where I currently live. I'm only familiar of other states that just scan for any OBD codes and that the sensors all report ready status.

Edited by compsurge

I don't have any inspection or emissions where I currently live. I'm only familiar of other states that just scan for any OBD codes and that the sensors all report ready status.

You don't live in Maryland?

MD is easy on inspections - only need to be done prior to registering a vehicle.

Emissions are every 2 years for OBDII vehicles, but they only plug in a scanner. If you don't have any codes, you're good to go.

You don't live in Maryland?

MD is easy on inspections - only need to be done prior to registering a vehicle.

Emissions are every 2 years for OBDII vehicles, but they only plug in a scanner. If you don't have any codes, you're good to go.

No emissions check in St. Mary's County. I live in MD for the next 3 weeks.

Does anybody local have a radiator (preferably OEM, but open to Koyo or Mishimoto at the right price) that they're looking to get rid of?

Mine's cracked :/

5MT or automatic? Check fit for verification.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/TYC-2778-Aluminum-Replacement-Radiator/dp/B000IYR5LK/ref=au_pf_ss_4?ie=UTF8&Make=Subaru%7C13&Model=Legacy%7C64&Year=2005%7C2005&carId=001&n=15684181&s=automotive]Amazon.com: TYC 2778 Subaru 1-Row Plastic Aluminum Replacement Radiator: Automotive[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Koyo-Cooling-Systems-Radiator-11549038309/dp/B004SMI31O/ref=au_pf_ss_10?ie=UTF8&Make=Subaru%7C13&Model=Legacy%7C64&Year=2005%7C2005&carId=001&n=15684181&s=automotive]Amazon.com: Radiator KoyoRad 11549038309: Automotive[/ame]

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1430733&parttype=2172

5MT or automatic? Check fit for verification.

Thanks for the links. Mine's 5MT.

I did some more searching on here, and found a few reputable posters saying TYC 13091 is for 5mt:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4417806&postcount=6

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4680472&postcount=1

I just ordered the last one on Amazon, should be at my door on Saturday.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041TABQE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Amazon.com: TYC 13091 Subaru Impreza 1-Row Plastic Aluminum Replacement Radiator: Automotive[/ame]

Next question...is anybody free on Sunday, and feeling helpful? I've never replaced a radiator before, but I'm sure it's oldhat for most of you guys here. I can pay in cash and/or beer and/or food and/or sexual favors. :wub:

Radiator is pie. You shouldn't have any problems. There are two fan plugs, two supporting brackets, and two hoses to unhook.

There is a drain screw on the underside.

You will need 1 gallon coolant like Peak Extended and 0.8 gallon of distilled water. I tried to do about a 50-50 mix, but ended up with extra water. The coolant change thread is good for the refill and bleed procedure.