LegacyGT.com

Help please! Still new with boxer

I was driving my car tonight and it suddenly lost all power, i still had the rpms up but i had no throttle at all. So i slowed to a stop and didnt even hav to turn the key all the way off, and it would just start right back up. Im still a bit confuzed with the boxer motor, the only thing ive done any building on was a duramax diesel. I didnt do hardly any of the wrk on the car myself, ive been tryin to locate the old owner who traded it at the dealer were i bot it but havnt had any luck with it so i dont even no the extent of wut all is done to it

It did a funny rattle for like hardly two seconds wen i was in first and about to a stop. And ya the cel came on wen it did it. I havnt checked fluids yet i will today wen i get the chance. It has around 91000 miles on it.

ive ran premium fuel in it since ive had it. i wasnt sure if the mass airflow was cleanable i no my buddy has a car that u cant but i will if it aint hard on it im gona try it. i did that on my last vehicle and seemed to make a diffrence so ill hav to try it. i ges most places will b able to hook to my car for checkin cel i dont hav anything to check it myself yet

The fact that it's a boxer motor probably has little (or nothing) to do with what is wrong. Could you mean that you're confused with gasoline engines in general? If that's the case I understand, those diesels don't have anything like airflow sensors, throttle plates, etc. Not that they are any less complicated, just different.

Probably best to get the code checked.

The fact that it's a boxer motor probably has little (or nothing) to do with what is wrong. Could you mean that you're confused with gasoline engines in general? If that's the case I understand, those diesels don't have anything like airflow sensors, throttle plates, etc. Not that they are any less complicated, just different.

Probably best to get the code checked.

Modern diesels are as complicated as gasoline engines with MAF:s and stuff, some even has EGR:s and in the more advanced versions where they are trying to get down the emissions even more they use NOx reagent fluid (artificial pee) that is injected into the exhaust system. And they use a boost of 40 to 60 psi...

453747.png

im feelin a bit dumb:/ im wonderin if it wasnt just low fuel. the fuel light had turned on about three miles before it did it. but i started it and ran another 10 miles probly. thats the only reason y i didnt think that was what it was. but i fueled it up and now it hasnt done it since:redface:

Modern diesels are as complicated as gasoline engines with MAF:s and stuff, some even has EGR:s and in the more advanced versions where they are trying to get down the emissions even more they use NOx reagent fluid (artificial pee) that is injected into the exhaust system. And they use a boost of 40 to 60 psi...

Oh I know, and they also have compression ratios that are sky high (although they have dropped a bit in recent years for emissions purposes), A/F ratios that are all over the place (because they are fuel throttled, not air throttled) and fuel pressure at the injector tip as high as 30,000psi... I know my diesels pretty well for someone who doesn't make a living in the industry. Like I said, I wasn't saying they are less complicated, just different. I was more curious if the OP meant boxer engines or gasoline engines because a boxer engine shouldn't be more confusing in the driving experience than any other gasoline engine.

I have a 2005 legacy gt limited... I have had this problem on two different occasions... the first time was like a week after buying the car... i cant recall too well, few years ago... but the 2nd time was quite recent... i was heading home from a cabin party about an hour away... i was speeding, having a good time as usual in my car, and all of a sudden right as i give it full throttle to pass this jack ass, it did it again, all the dash lights come on, and u have no power what so ever, so i roll to the e-lane, and i just shut off, and turns back on with no issues what so ever....

oh, now i recall the frist time, it was me getting on an on ramp, and again, i was beating the shit out of my car.. now im one to take care of my car so dont take me the wrong way, but i like to have fun from time to time... it did the same thing on the on ramp...

still to this day, after getting it checked by my friends who are mechanics and went to performance car schools graduated, cant even begin to think of the issue here... if anyone else has had similar issues i'd appreciate the response to my post... thanks

I have a 2005 legacy gt limited... I have had this problem on two different occasions... the first time was like a week after buying the car... i cant recall too well, few years ago... but the 2nd time was quite recent... i was heading home from a cabin party about an hour away... i was speeding, having a good time as usual in my car, and all of a sudden right as i give it full throttle to pass this jack ass, it did it again, all the dash lights come on, and u have no power what so ever, so i roll to the e-lane, and i just shut off, and turns back on with no issues what so ever....

oh, now i recall the frist time, it was me getting on an on ramp, and again, i was beating the shit out of my car.. now im one to take care of my car so dont take me the wrong way, but i like to have fun from time to time... it did the same thing on the on ramp...

still to this day, after getting it checked by my friends who are mechanics and went to performance car schools graduated, cant even begin to think of the issue here... if anyone else has had similar issues i'd appreciate the response to my post... thanks

I wasnt getting on it at all. I was just runnin 70 and wasnt gainin speed or lettin off.

Oh I know, and they also have compression ratios that are sky high (although they have dropped a bit in recent years for emissions purposes), A/F ratios that are all over the place (because they are fuel throttled, not air throttled) and fuel pressure at the injector tip as high as 30,000psi... I know my diesels pretty well for someone who doesn't make a living in the industry. Like I said, I wasn't saying they are less complicated, just different. I was more curious if the OP meant boxer engines or gasoline engines because a boxer engine shouldn't be more confusing in the driving experience than any other gasoline engine.

I was meanin any small gas engine. Ive rebuilt a chevy 350 before, but as you know, these things have a lot more electrical than a 1984 350

Archived