LegacyGT.com

Bolt up turbocharger upgrade - Vol-2

The price difference may be because the dyno will have a wide band O2 and can give you a better tune.

My Tuner was fine with street tunes until I went to the vf52, then he recommended the dyno so he could use the wide band and get a safer tune.

Think if it as pay me now...or may be pay me more later.

In fact he took the car out for a test ride after the dyno, just to make sure.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The price difference may be because the dyno will have a wide band O2 and can give you a better tune.

My Tuner was fine with street tunes until I went to the vf52, then he recommended the dyno so he could use the wide band and get a safer tune.

Think if it as pay me now...or may be pay me more later.

In fact he took the car out for a test ride after the dyno, just to make sure.

No doubt. I've got a Wideband capable of logging in romraider too. I'm just looking at the cost benefit ratio here. Plus wifey watches my spending like a hawk :lol:

So i received my turbo from BNR today as well as my Oil lines from Imfamous Performance. Thanks guys!

So anyway, as far as the gaskets between the turbos, i'd assume i'll be needing new gaskets as well right?

And I also assume that I can use the stock gaskets too? Can somebody confirm that please? And again, i do apologize as i am a newbie. :) Thanks for all the help and knowledge. This is quite a learning experience. :)

Thanks!

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q174/truthyaj/Subaru%20Legacy%20Issues/IMG_2496_zps737ad25c.jpg

Just as important is the gasket between the intercooler and the turbo flange. Make sure that's in good shape or replace it too. And if you're going FMIC, then never mind. That's a whole other set of issues.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I hear Cobb Plano and AWDTuning are both recommending customers avoid BNR turbos due to high failure rates.

I wish they would post some data about their experience instead of spreading rumor via the interwebs.

I hear Cobb Plano and AWDTuning are both recommending customers avoid BNR turbos due to high failure rates.

I wish they would post some data about their experience instead of spreading rumor via the interwebs.

What do they suggest as a reasonable alternative? I wonder how much the business politics influence their recommendations. I would think that with the number of BNR turbos mentioned on this forum, we would hear about some failures.

Mike, have you seen issues with BNR turbos that were caused by a flaw in the turbo?

What do they suggest as a reasonable alternative? I wonder how much the business politics influence their recommendations. I would think that with the number of BNR turbos mentioned on this forum, we would hear about some failures.

Mike, have you seen issues with BNR turbos that were caused by a flaw in the turbo?

Exactly. Sounds similar to the Cobb "we wont tune cars with DW injectors" line that was going around a few months back.

For the record, yes I have seen failed BNR turbos. But no more than other brands. I have seen failed turbos from every major manufacturer.

Exactly. Sounds similar to the Cobb "we wont tune cars with DW injectors" line that was going around a few months back.

For the record, yes I have seen failed BNR turbos. But no more than other brands. I have seen failed turbos from every major manufacturer.

There's also the fact that a turbo's failure can be attributed to flaws in the car itself, be it oiling issues, etc. Until I see some evidence, my money will still be going to BNR, when the time comes. I'd rather support a smaller business that's growing than give my money to a larger company who has a lock on the market.

Fortunately, my OEM turbo has zero shaft play and isn't leaking oil or smoking, so hopefully I can make it last another year before I have to take the plunge.

Sorry for asking this question but what oil would you recommend now that I'm installing a 16G TDO5 BNR turbo with the Imfamous oil line.

I tried to search for the recommended oil thread on here but wasn't able to find anything. If you can just link me to the thread that'll be fine too.

Thanks again

Sorry for asking this question but what oil would you recommend now that I'm installing a 16G TDO5 BNR turbo with the Imfamous oil line.

I tried to search for the recommended oil thread on here but wasn't able to find anything. If you can just link me to the thread that'll be fine too.

Thanks again

Amsoil and other high-end synthetics are common, but a lot of us are using RotellaT6 with success.

Just as a data point: bnr16g (one of the early ones from 2.5 years ago). 32K miles, no issues with turbo.

FWIW, I use Pennzoil Platinum, changed every 3-3.5K. I know Fram filters aren't the best, but Walmart oil changes are just so darn convenient. Everytime I try to get them to use the Wix (ST) filters they have on the shelf, they call me back saying they don't fit, so I've given up, and I'll live with it. I figure Fram should be able to handle 3-3.5K with PP. ~95K miles, swapped turbos/injectors at 62k (no failure - preventative maintenance). IP&T oil line around 10-12k miles ago (somewhere around there).

Also an early adopter... 2,5 years, 50,000km and trouble free. Cobb can suck it.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• I Donated
Mine is from 2.5 years ago, too, but it sat on a shelf for 9 months recently, so it only has 20,000 miles on it. I sent it back to Bryan at one point, thinking there was too much shaft play. He examined it, said the shaft play was fine, replaced the bearings (nothing wrong with them, but they were from the bad batch he received a while back), and sent it back free of charge. Turned out my problem at that point was with the engine, not the turbo.

Because it's on the Amsoil site you might find this report on testing of 10 different oils to be biased but the testing was done by a "3rd party" lab. I found it interesting none the less because of what it showed about the various aspects of synthetic oil.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf

I've only got about 4,000 miles on my 16g so am no help on the longevity issue. However the kind of customer service that Bryan provides is top notch and to me that is worth a lot.

Edited by Subadozer

I vote for the Amsoil products. Both my cars run their European 5w-40 year round. I use their Severgear in the tranny's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

With one or a few exceptions, I don't believe anyone is running 15K OCIs (w/AMSOIL or another oil).

If the premise is that it only costs $51.00 for 5 quarts of AMSOIL Signature Series, for 11,318 miles, then, in reality, the price should be $154.00 for 3.02 changes @ a Subaru-prescribed 3750 mile OCI. Even running a 5,680 OCI, that still $102.00.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

With one or a few exceptions, I don't believe anyone is running 15K OCIs (w/AMSOIL or another oil).

If the premise is that it only costs $51.00 for 5 quarts of AMSOIL Signature Series, for 11,318 miles, then, in reality, the price should be $154.00 for 3.02 changes @ a Subaru-prescribed 3750 mile OCI. Even running a 5,680 OCI, that still $102.00.

Both my cars are on a 5-7000 mile OCI. With 6500 miles on the new engine's oil, Blackstone said to leave it in and check back in 2000 miles.

It took so long for the lab report to come back I changed it at just over 7000 miles on the oil.

I've done a few lab test and they always say the Amsoil European is good to go another 2000 miles and check back. I normally change it around the 7000 mile mark.

Even as cheap as I am, I have a hard time leaving it in there.

I emailed Cobb Plano - Adrian (the tuner) said that it was news to him... He did say that Blouch was in the process of making a bolt on for us thou... So either the Plano guys are not talking together or somebody misheard.

Yes, I think here is at least one place the Amsoil bias enters in here and there's nothing a 3rd party can do to fix that. At least there's full disclosure on the apples to oranges comparison.

When I switched to the European Formula from Amsoil OEM (which I was getting cheaper than Rotella T6) I wanted to extend beyond the 3,750 OCI I had been following but refused to do so without UOA's. I went just under and just over 8,000 on the 2 changes before switching to their Signature Series, which is the same price (pay $20 a year and you get wholesale prices on everything, gallons of the SS/European are $30.65). My first UOA of the SS plus over-advance CEL's about the same time is what resulted in my long-awaited installation of my BNR 16g, IP&T oil line, etc. I'll be very curious to see the UOA upcoming in about 1k miles, now that I don't have a VF-40 with a stuck waste gate and the turbine wearing away at the housing.

If I can get my OCI up to a consistent 8-10,000 confirmed by UOA then I will be satisfied.

If I can get my OCI up to a consistent 8-10,000 confirmed by UOA then I will be satisfied.

That shouldn't be a problem:cool:.

All I can say 15k OCI works well for me. :)

Mike

Edited by HAMMER DOWN

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

That shouldn't be a problem:cool:.

All I can say 15k OCI works well for me. :)

Mike

Now, Now, Now, Mike you also have the big oil filter system. You forgot that disclaimer...:)