LegacyGT.com

grinding/knocking noise from gearbox area

This problem happened yesterday on my way to an Indians game, driving on the highway car drove fine no gear slips no smoke no sticky gears all was normal. once getting to my exit i slowed down and downshifted once in 1st gear i heard something funny. turned down the radio and i could hear a grinding/clunking, knocking coming from the car. my first thought was Motor :eek: well after realizing the noise only happened at low speed and 1-3rd gear around 2K rpm and goes away with the clutch depressed its something in that region of the drive train. has anyone had this issue, know the fix, i was able to get the car home just fine and it drives perfect just that noise at low RPM.

Hmm. Your gonna have to pull the trans. Hopefully maybe a pressure plate finger broke and caused no damage. Could be input shaft bearing. Does it sound internal trans or can you tell if it's in the bell housing? Any binding or anything while rolling?

it sounds like its coming from the bell housing, its very hard to tell since i can only hear it when the car is moving. once im able to get it on a lift next week we will find the extent of the problem. there is no binding, however i have been dealing with some laggy acceleration which i thought to be a misfire or such but i have a feeling this may be causing that problem.

Archived