LegacyGT.com

Another 5eat to 6mt/5mt swap questions. (05+ LGT) thread

crrider80

That would be awesome! Now, who has access to a friendly dealer and their SSM?

Actually, could anyone with an auto that jumps those wires and disconnects the TCM be able to try it with the SSM's help like ClimberD said?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A couple questions... I found a setup that includes 05 STI pedal Assembly and shifter linkage.

Would both of these fit my 07 LGT or can I only use Spec B parts?

I know some people have used the front auto driveshaft from the 2.5i... but would the front auto driveshaft from the LGT work too? Not sure if theres a difference.

Would I be able to use the rear 05 STI driveshaft or would I need to use the Spec B driveshaft? The driveshaft is included in the setup Im looking at.

And last from not least... would the crossmember from the 05 STI work or would I still need to get the 5MT crossmember and modify it.

Im slowly remembering why I chose not to do this back in the day (6 months ago lol). I'm getting confused with all this info. But if you could help out...Id be indebted to you.

I have no idea about the pedal assembly or driveshafts.

I am pretty sure that the 05 STI driveshaft will be too short. (I think the current-generation STI driveshafts are still too short as well, but I'm less sure of that.) If you're getting a 6MT + R180, the Spec B driveshaft is what you want. The Legacy auto driveshaft is for hooking a 6MT up to an R160 diff.

The 5MT and 6MT crossmembers are different.

I think you just install the trans, and then have a fabricator make a mount. 5mt to 6mt swaps are bolt-on, so you will end up making a variant of the custom 5mt crossmember used in 5at-5mt swaps.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Couldn't you just use the crossmember that matches the transmission?

e.g. 5EAT-to-5MT swap would just use a 5MT crossmember.

The 5eat cars use a different mounting bracket that is welded to the car. This is why a custom crossmember is needed. Pics are in this thread.

• 6 months later...

Well all the engine and tranny codes can be turned off with an AccessPORT, but the Can bus codes and odometer Error I would say so.

Its not really the installation of all the parts that is the killer for me, its installing it all and having to tow the car over to the dealer to have everything reflashed just to see if it works. If you had the entire car (with the key and immobilizer) that might save that step.

PS. Mufflers are awesome by the way. Used parts from Florida look nothing like used parts from up here. 358 WHP and not a sound out of the car :)

I have to swap my stock catback on every year for Mass. inspection and I go back and forth on which setup I like better. I don't think my car is quite as loud as yours was, but it definitely booms.

The stock is so quiet, and I can hear my nice speakers again. It's always a relief for my ears when I put it back on. But my Magnaflow catback is awesome because racecar. Throttle response is snappier too. So after three months or so of staying stock and thinking about selling my catback, I put it back on and it makes me smile.

Well all the engine and tranny codes can be turned off with an AccessPORT, but the Can bus codes and odometer Error I would say so.

Its not really the installation of all the parts that is the killer for me, its installing it all and having to tow the car over to the dealer to have everything reflashed just to see if it works. If you had the entire car (with the key and immobilizer) that might save that step.

PS. Mufflers are awesome by the way. Used parts from Florida look nothing like used parts from up here. 358 WHP and not a sound out of the car :)

Glad you are liking them! I might be in the market for some in case I want to slap the stock cat back at one point for quietness. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Greddy SP2's! :D

I hear aftermarket exhausts all the time as cars pass in and out of the shop and think, man I really would like that nice boxer rumble. Plus, it would hide a new subtle wind noise I am getting at highway speeds. But then I think of the 6 hr trips I have taken and I am back to the stockers again. Maybe I need some cutouts :)

I hear aftermarket exhausts all the time as cars pass in and out of the shop and think, man I really would like that nice boxer rumble. Plus, it would hide a new subtle wind noise I am getting at highway speeds. But then I think of the 6 hr trips I have taken and I am back to the stockers again. Maybe I need some cutouts :)

How about some electric cut outs. Thinking about them myself if I went back to a nice Y pipe with Prodrive cans.

next time i'm in the area i'll try to swing by, though i'm catted.

but you've probably heard it :p

Cool. If you're up this way swing buy. I had the AVO cans, got a no-name exhaust and a Magnaflow LGT in the shop now, but haven't heard the Borla on the road, just on the dyno.

Leonardo, the cutouts are nice but people always seems to have issues with them sticking and not closing all the way. On the V8 stuff it really isn't a big deal as half the cars with headers sound like an exhaust leak, but on a quiet car it can be annoying.

• 4 weeks later...

[ATTACH]86403[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]86404[/ATTACH]

When I get time this week I'll post a complete swap guide for this.

Stumbled upon this thread. Nice work! More proper trannies in cars the better! :)

I am perplexed that Subaru chose to make the chassis different for different transmission options. That's crazy and complicates the production. If the cross-member cannot be located in the same spot you'd think they would put two sets of mount points and use the one for the actual drivetrain configuration.

Edited by unclemat

• 3 weeks later...

Im interested in swapping my 08's. Any advice beside the typical electrical gremlins and crossmember BS? I dont know if they changed any mounts and what not in 08 compared to 05.

Theres a local 05 lgt 5mt thats being parted out... I inquired about the tranny, clutch pedal assembly, master cyl, shifter housing and linkages, and driveshaft. Ill be reading up some more...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Considering this for a custy but it looks like it may be cost prohibitive, to do it on a professional level. :(

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpghttp://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/141039922.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"