LegacyGT.com

Mounting tires - torque wrench?

When changing out tires on a legacy GT, do you really need to use a torque wrench on the lugs?? The manual suggests 74-89 lbf-ft.

On my Outback, I have always just used the lug wrench with no problems.

Invest in a torque wrench. Overtightening is more likely than under when not using a torque wrench and while not quite as dramatic as a wheel coming off, you can still do damage...don't ask.
It is still ugly.

Invest in a torgue wrench. Overtightening is more likely than under when not using a torque wrench and while not quite as dramatic as a wheel coming off, you can still do damage...don't ask.

+1

I use my left hand which is weaker then the right so if it can't tighten it anymore then I consider it good to go... :lol:

So what have we been doing with our right hand that it has become so musclebound?

It is still ugly.

I have a really nice Snap-on TW and I've never once used it for wheels. I am not a mechanic by trade but the amount of times I have taken wheels off and on is in the triple digits. I suppose it's a good idea if you're new to working on your car and don't know how tight things should be.... Just don't cheap out on it. Don't get the kind that measure how much it bends. Get the click type. Avoid the digitals unless it's from a reputable company.

Pittsburg torque wrenches from Horrible Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com) can be a good buy and surprisngly accurate for what they cost (nothing).

From high-end torque wrenches I recommend Proto brand. Industrail brand, more accurate than anything else (used by NASA). Goes quite cheap, and cheaper than SnapOn, which is overpriced. I like Snap On wrenches, but their tq wrenches are not a good value.

Archived