New Boost Gauge Options

Billy Dagwood

Which Gauge Option?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Which Gauge Option?

• stick with what you've got: Prosport Mechanical
    • Race Tech
    • Custom Autometer

SO... I'm moving up from a 52mm AVO pod to the custom vent pod, and I think this is probably a good time to upgrade my gauge itself as well. I currently have an old mechanical Prosport gauge. It's treated me well, but I think its calibration has gotten a little bit off over the years, and there's also a little place on the pointer hub where some paint is going. Another thing is that I've always wished it had a red ring to match the stock gauge cluster. It also doesn't sweep on startup -- this isn't a deal-breaker for me, but it'd be cool. I should say, though, that IMHO some of the "opening ceremonies" for gauges out there are totally ridiculous and just plain ricey. It's a car, not a fighter jet.

I'd planned on going for a Prosport Halo gauge, but it's expensive, has a lot of features I neither need nor want, and its spangly-disco-glitter startup sequence will pitch me into an epileptic fit every time I try to leave the house (and can't be turned off).

I've also been trying to figure out whether to stick with mechanical as opposed to switching over to an electronic setup. The internet seems to think mechanical is more accurate. I don't think it's going to matter too much on a daily driver either way.

All that having been said, I think I've narrowed down my options to three:

1) Just forget about it and stick with my current gauge in the new pod

2) A RaceTech Angel Ring electrical gauge (which appears to be the same as the Prosport Halo gauge, but without the extra features, for cheaper, and with a far less busy startup sequence

3) A custom-made mechanical Autometer gauge, which is still expensive (but, then again, it's custom-made). I doubt it'll sweep (still waiting for confirmation from Autometer, and it won't black out when off. It should be easier to install, though, since my car is already set up for a mechanical gauge.

Now, because I know this thread is worthless without pics...

The Race Tech:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/billydagwood/autos/boost-gauge-angel-ring-race-tech.gif

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoRs2oVfQe8]Racetech Angel Ring Vacuum and W.Temp in My FIT GD - YouTube[/ame]

The Autometer:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/billydagwood/autos/Screenshot2011-12-29at81812PM.png

Thanks everyone for the input!

Been doing more research on the autometer site since this post features something so close to what I'd get if I went for the Autometer. Since I haven't heard back from Autometer regarding what sort of illumination their custom gauges feature, it seems more and more likely that my custom gauge just probably wouldn't match as well as I'd like. I'm now leaning towards the Racetech...

I'll comment on the Autometer. I've used Autometer pretty much exclusively to date. So when I purchased an 52mm ES series mechanical boost gauge to use with the new vent pod I didn't really expect any issues. But let me tell you it was a PITA getting it to fit (lengthwise) and had I been limited to what came with the gauge it never would have. Thanks to my supply of random parts I was able to fit together several vacuum tubing pieces and get it to fit almost flush. The vent pod is a great piece, but may not be suited well for mechanical setups (although I can't comment on other brands fitment).

Dan

Hmm, well I think that pretty much settles that. My current prosport mechanical has a pretty good-sized rear overhang too, but that was a non-issue when I was installing it in the AVO pod where it currently resides (since the AVO pod is so long). Ok then! I'll give this Race Tech thing a shot.

Ben, I trust you got my payment, yes? Just wondering when I should keep an eye out for the package. Thanks again bud.

I have the Prosport premium gauge. It looks very similar to the Racetech gauge itself. It works for my likings but if you apply pressure to the info adjustment pin. It gets stuck halfway. I'm not sure if mine is a bad batch, I can't say for all other Prosport gauges.

I've never heard of Racetech gauges before. If you're willing to bet on it. Make a review about it.

And also, why a mechanical gauge? Jump over the the dark side and use the electrical :cool:

I have no control over drippie.

Well, I've had the prosport mechanical since...2006? I don't think they even made any electronic gauges at that point. As for the autometer, the custom boost gauge only comes mechanical. The Racetech is electronic.

My current prosport mechanical looks very much like this Racetech one, minus the red ring. I suspect there's one factory in Taiwan (where the Racetech are made) making all these, and then they get rebranded for various companies in various countries (if you look on youtube, you tend to see a lot of gauge clones with the same font, lighting, controls, etc.)

If you use Autometer mechanical gauge, you need the 90 degree brass fitting to avoid the trouble fitting inside the pod... this has been done by ton of ppl from the mazdaspeed forum.....

I thought about ordering that and giving it another shot. The redneck engineering I've got right now seems to be holding up good, but the perfectionist in me probably won't let it go. Thanks..and the pod looks awesome BTW.

Dan

I have the Prosport premium gauge. It looks very similar to the Racetech gauge itself. It works for my likings but if you apply pressure to the info adjustment pin. It gets stuck halfway. I'm not sure if mine is a bad batch, I can't say for all other Prosport gauges.

I've never heard of Racetech gauges before. If you're willing to bet on it. Make a review about it.

And also, why a mechanical gauge? Jump over the the dark side and use the electrical :cool:

Mechanical gauges have a much faster reaction to changes in manifold pressure than electrical units do. Thats my primary reason to go mechanical myself, that and they are typically cheaper than some of the electrical units.

Dan

Mechanical gauges have a much faster reaction to changes in manifold pressure than electrical units do. Thats my primary reason to go mechanical myself, that and they are typically cheaper than some of the electrical units.

Dan

...my thoughts as well. But if I'm going to have to wrestle it into the new pod, and since this is just a daily driver, I wonder how much that'll matter in the real world. Prices aren't all that different either for one little 52mm boost gauge, I've found. *shrug*

...my thoughts as well. But if I'm going to have to wrestle it into the new pod, and since this is just a daily driver, I wonder how much that'll matter in the real world. Prices aren't all that different either for one little 52mm boost gauge, I've found. *shrug*

Now that I know about the 90 degree adapter for the autometer I think it would fit fine. My problem was that I didn't have it (going to order it) and had to rig up something with spare parts that was still somewhat bulky. Personally I've never had any reason to doubt autometer gauges, so with the adapter it should be fine.

I got the auto meter 90 degree adapter part #3272 in today. Put everything back together, much more easily this time. The gauge fits great. So if you go the auto meter mechanical route, get the adapter as well.

Dan

Yeah, I'm actually thinking I'll just keep my current mechanical gauge for the time being. I'm glad you posted the part no. I was just going to look it up, haha!

Met Block8head this evening and picked up my pod. It looks awesome! I hope to install tomorrow, or I suppose in a few days if I need to get that adapter.

Archived