LegacyGT.com

Vf40 18g Vs 20g

frkkevin

Roughly

270whp VS 320whp

Bang for the buck the VF40 18G would win in my eyes but overall after you spent all the time and money would the 20G be the better route? I'm got a 5eat and would prefer not to kill my tranny :)

50whp seems quite significant.. but also a lot more cost

512whp/465ftlb 2005 5EAT Legacy (Build Log)

Videos -

-

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is what I'm afraid.. getting a vf40 18G and later wanting to upgrade. But whos not to say that might be enough for me.. One of those things I'd never know until I did it but I suppose the 20g should without a doubt please me.

How well will the 5eat hold up on a 20g tho

512whp/465ftlb 2005 5EAT Legacy (Build Log)

Videos -

-

Not to be a jerk, and yes I have a 5mt, but I got 260hp out of my stock turbo. I know 5EAT puts down less, but for me I would just go for big the first time instead of doing it twice. That is what I am planning on doing at least.

Amy

04 FXT vf39 5mt

That is what I'm afraid.. getting a vf40 18G and later wanting to upgrade. But whos not to say that might be enough for me.. One of those things I'd never know until I did it but I suppose the 20g should without a doubt please me.

ive actually heard that turbos with quick spool like the 18g are worse for the tranny than later spooling turbos like the 20g.

either way, go big or go home!!!

Not to be a jerk, and yes I have a 5mt, but I got 260hp out of my stock turbo. I know 5EAT puts down less, but for me I would just go for big the first time instead of doing it twice. That is what I am planning on doing at least.

to be nice, i will agree with amy :-)

after a first week or so, vf40-18 will just leave you wanting more power :-)

put in the small turbo and the necessary supporting mods. Have fun with it and enjoy the straightforward install. If and when you still want more power, sell the turbo for a small loss and get a bigger one. You'll be more experienced after the install and there won't be as many supporting mods to pay for.
ignore him, he'll go away.

put in the small turbo and the necessary supporting mods. Have fun with it and enjoy the straightforward install. If and when you still want more power, sell the turbo for a small loss and get a bigger one. You'll be more experienced after the install and there won't be as many supporting mods to pay for.

Thats not a bad idea either.

90% of people who go with a very mild upgrade turbo like a VF40-18g end up ditching it and going bigger. To me, it is a waste of time and money. I know that a few people out there are perfectly happy with a turbo that size, but far more often than not eventually it comes out of the car to be replaced with something capable of far more. For our 2.5L motors, the smallest turbo upgrade I usually suggest is a 20g.

90% of people who go with a very mild upgrade turbo like a VF40-18g end up ditching it and going bigger. To me, it is a waste of time and money. I know that a few people out there are perfectly happy with a turbo that size, but far more often than not eventually it comes out of the car to be replaced with something capable of far more. For our 2.5L motors, the smallest turbo upgrade I usually suggest is a 20g.

pretty much how i feel. :lol: waiting to see how much my xmas bonus and raise are gonna be before deciding how big of a turbo i'm gonna get.... ah the choices.

Kevin, all you have to do is come over my place and drive my car. That will tell you if the 20G is worth it or not because we have the same exact car and live in the same area.

Then let me drive yours for a while so I can appreciate my power lol.

Oh and by the way, your not getting no 270 with VF40-18G on your 5EAT. More like 255whp

If I had the money id have a 20g right now, and if you put alky injection on it you can get even more than 320hp i believe. And whoever said more low end power will killy tranny's, you are correct. 300 hp pushing something not moving, or moving slow, is a lot more force than against something that is already moving, or moving faster. Less resistance means less force being exerted against that object. Thats why people who drag race, 99% of the time, break their drivetrain at the starting line.

Get a T-76 or nothing :lol: The larger turbos have NO lag, get better mileage and make the MaD POwEr :lol: The real question is why does SOA put such a small turbo on the car to start with.....

A lot of people prefer not to have lag and don't want the motor to be an on-off switch, with a few second delay ;)

The best ting to do is get a ride in a Legacy with the turbo you are considering, by now there are lots of people who have the various turbos on their car.

Devil's Advocate Says: There are other options besides the popular 18G/20G route. Look in the turbo forums ;).

EDIT: Look in the TDC Forums too.

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

its funny that you guys say that jokingly, but civic people actually think like that.

the standard turbo for them is a t3/t4 57trim,

they honestly believe a 57lb/hr turbo is perfectly suited for and streetable on a 1.6L SOHC I4

People here think like that, but if you tell them different your gonna have to fight with them to pull that little white string dangling between their legs.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

People here think like that, but if you tell them different your gonna have to fight with them to pull that little white string dangling between their legs.

who?

everyone here is about no lag at all, I mean look at wiener, he put a GT2860 on a 2.5L

It sounds to me you want a nice increase in performance without pushing reliability too much. I was considering this too since this is my daily driver and I did not want to risk to much down time and expense.

That said, I am really happy with my 20g on the 5EAT. Do the VB first and the transmission should hold up.

Well I knew sooner or later the "little turbo" guys would come out :rolleyes: How this for an idea guys, why don't you make your case in a somewhat polite and professional manner? Why do you guys always feel the need to make fun of those who are willing to tolerate a little more lag for a lot more up top. I never belittle your choice to stay with something smaller, but it is an absolute fact that the majority of the people who do a mild upgrade end up switching out to something bigger. I see it all the time on customer's cars. So why the childish and snide remarks when all I do is point that out? Do it once, do it right. For some who really, really value ultra fast spool then stay with something small, but most folks are are willing to plunk down their money for a turbo upgrade want something where they can feel a very obvious difference.

Archived