LegacyGT.com

Aeroquip as alternative to Fumoto

Well, the second oil change rolled around this weekend and I was more prepared than last time. I had the undertray off this time and the oil still gushed out in a wide flat stream that splashed out of the drain pan as oppposed to a nice round stream. WTF? I didn't look closely at the photos I took until after I had everything put back together. Look at the photo of the oil pan with the drain plug missing...is there a baffle or windage tray in the pan that is altering the free flow of oil out of the pan? It looks like small holes inside of the larger hole.

Anyway...after some people had clearance issues while installing their Fumoto valves, I decided to try the two piece Aeroquip Quick-Drain Oil Pan Coupling. ( http://hydraulics.eaton.com/products/pdfs/jc215.pdf ). It installed without any clearance issues (at least on my car). Unfortunately since I just installed it, I cannot give a review of how it works for draining...you will have to wait for me to drive another 3,000 miles.

IMG_3094.JPG.625bd86325cac398d2bff9be58fdcc8e.JPG

IMG_3092.JPG.5a14d8b3d23dec1164fd366ff9e102b5.JPG

IMG_3091.JPG.d580b04c6d52263002bfa4c6f821ac40.JPG

IMG_3078.JPG.57374b7f204466a3680e95715bda8ae4.JPG

IMG_3103.JPG.708de61c63a7c5af39e94b35c729cd54.JPG

IMG_3111.JPG.939c89ec015446fa05ae4ddc9becfcb3.JPG

IMG_3122.JPG.93887ba9ee840674c8246a71c1cb3108.JPG

IMG_3116.JPG.c616b68d35ebf02d8983af94c28776f1.JPG

IMG_3129.JPG.717800491fffebe2d6d12b0e1ac3ac3f.JPG

IMG_3131.JPG.6ff84e5a2c2a9192e0752fb880b821a0.JPG

It is still ugly.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember talking to you at the PT last spring about the Aeroquip drain system. I thought you had mentioned a place locally that stocked them. Or am I losing it? How long did it take to ship? It's getting to be time I change my oil...did you use a crush washer?

Thanks,

Chip

Pillboy, Did you have to take off the plastic piece (the one with the molded oil deflector) in order to install it?

I agree, since the Fumoto valve is hit-or-miss, I'm just going to try this...just want to know what I'm in for.

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

Yeah, I took the undertray, POS plastic thing, whatever, off and I seriously doubt whether or not it is going back on. Much easier to work on stuff and easier to take pics. Also easier to see if your car is leaking fluids if they can make their way to the garage floor. It comes off after removing about 7 or 8 pop-its.

I just used a Subaru crush washer. The Aeroquip part that goes in the oil pan comes with what looks like a crush washer filled with black, rubbery looking stuff.

You need a big socket to install the part in the pan. I didn't have one big enough (over 1 1/8" needed), so I used a large adjustable (Crescent) wrench.

Mark

It is still ugly.

Any worries about sludge build up always leaving the last bit of oil in the bottom of the pan? I suppose every other time or so it'd be a good idea to remove the valve and let the pan totally drain out.

Do you remember how long it took to recieve the parts after you ordered them?

Chip

I have the Fumoto valve. It is definitely hit-or-miss. However, you can select from either using the included fabric type washer or using the Subaru crushable washer. This will give you a different final position because the washers are different thicknesses. If you can find a large and thick aluminum washer, that should work too and will give you one more thickness to choose from.

Yeah, I took the undertray, POS plastic thing, whatever, off and I seriously doubt whether or not it is going back on. Much easier to work on stuff and easier to take pics. Also easier to see if your car is leaking fluids if they can make their way to the garage floor. It comes off after removing about 7 or 8 pop-its.

As always, thanks for the advice. Let's hope oil change #2 goes slightly better than #1. :icon_bigg

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

Any worries about sludge build up always leaving the last bit of oil in the bottom of the pan? I suppose every other time or so it'd be a good idea to remove the valve and let the pan totally drain out.

Do you remember how long it took to recieve the parts after you ordered them?

Chip

Look at the upper right photo (the pan with the plug removed)-double click on it. It looks to me that there is something in the pan that is going to prevent the last bit of oil from draining out anyway. Anyone know what I am seeing? Someone take a pic when you have your drain plug out.

It is still ugly.

Looking at the picture it seems the location of the drain plug in relation to the bottom of the pan there would be a 1/2 quart always sitting in the bottom of the pan anyway...hmmm

• 1 month later...
I bought mine and install was effortless. No clearance issues that I could see ever becoming. Seems like a very nice unit and should work great. Will report in 3 months or so when it comes time to change the oil again.

• 1 month later...

Captain-

I have done over 200 oil changes in my life (I'm old) on my cars, and this under tray is a piece of crap. I bought the Aeroquip thingy before I removed my under tray for something else. Tray never went back on, and I probably could have saved some cash. BUT, the blue is cool.

It is still ugly.

I am not saying its not convienent, I am just saying that I have no problems unwrenching the drain plug, and have all the oil spill into the pan. No real fuss at least nothing some paper towels can't solve.

Edit: Are you saying you removed the plastic undertray...the thingy that protects from scrapes and stuff and where the oil filter door is? In which case I have to agree, it is crap.

Archived