LegacyGT.com

why is the legacy so heavy?

Why in the world are the 05-09 subaru legacy's so heavy? around 3500lbs? while the wrx of the same year was around 3000lbs? I know it's suppose to be a slightly more "luxurious" version of the wrx, but 500 lbs?

I've looked around and cant seem to find any obvious weight reduction mods that don't take away from the luxury of the car other than removing the spare tire and jack, some lightweight wheels, all of that MIGHT get rid of 80lbs?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Insurance costs, and i hate the douchebag rep that comes with them, and theyre not nearly as nice. Im not looking for speed, i have my 400whp 2300lb zx2 for that. I know i wont get the legacy that fast, i have no intentions on removing any of the interior on the legacy because i still want that luxury factor, i just want to know the potential of weight loss for when/if i go to autox for a day or something with it.

Curb weight on a 2006 Spec.B is 3391 according to Car and Driver. My coworker's 04 STI is around 3260. That's the difference between a full tank of gas in the STI and the Legacy on empty.

Sure as hell doesn't seem like a whole lot for more leg room, leather, heated and power seats, sun roof, heated wipers, bigger trunk AND better gas mileage.

Curb weight on a 2006 Spec.B is 3391 according to Car and Driver. My coworker's 04 STI is around 3260. That's the difference between a full tank of gas in the STI and the Legacy on empty.

Sure as hell doesn't seem like a whole lot for more leg room, leather, heated and power seats, sun roof, heated wipers, bigger trunk AND better gas mileage.

Amen to that.

Of course I was joking but in reality you'd have to gut the cabin and strip some things engine bay wise to see any major savings.

For starters the trunk and hood weigh a shit tone. Alu/carbon would but a weight savings.

But unless you're actually fast OP it's laughable to try and make this car into a race car.

You need to remember it's a pretty bad platform to get serious with. Suspension, chassis and brakes are all subpar. Be careful how much coin you drop into this car.

Archived