LegacyGT.com

'08 AEM Cold Air Intake Setup

My spec.B is in the shop atm (some little girl ran her bike into my stationary car.. no rubber on the handlebars = giant gash down the front bumper) but I'm thinking about sharing the cold air intake setup I have for my spec.B. I didn't see any cold air intake options for the '08 when modding it, so I combined 2 separate parts from AEM Performance in order to get it going. Any interested in me putting the effort to get some pics/part #'s here?

Note - I have:

- Invidia Q300 exhaust

- Cobb stage 2 tune

- plans on installing a VF52 turbo

- getting a protune within the month

*The CAI won't make a significant difference without the first 2 and you'll run lean.*

Dafaq people?

He isn't asking if he should get the intake. He said he already built one for his car using a few different AEM parts, because there isn't one specifically designed for the 08 LGT.

Everyone loves to jump on the "stock intake is perfectly fine" bandwagon. Yes, it is capable up to stage 2, but switching to a CAI gets you faster spool up and awesome turbo sound.

I am interested to see what it looks like.

• I Donated
Dafaq people?

He isn't asking if he should get the intake. He said he already built one for his car using a few different AEM parts, because there isn't one specifically designed for the 08 LGT.

Everyone loves to jump on the "stock intake is perfectly fine" bandwagon. Yes, it is capable up to stage 2, but switching to a CAI gets you faster spool up and awesome turbo sound.

I am interested to see what it looks like.

Shows what reading at 2am gets me. My bad!

Alright, although I can't show the fit with pics until Friday at the earliest (spec.B's at the shop getting painted) I'll link the part #'s:

21-475(B,C,or P depending on what color you want) - Intake pipe and Filter. http://www.aemintakes.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=21-475C

21-478WR - Heat Shield and 3 rubber trim pieces that go along with it. http://www.aemintakes.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=21-478WR

If you go to aemintakes.com and filter for the 07-09 LegacyGT you'll notice they only have an air filter specified for the vehicle. Put in the 05-06 and the 21-475 shows up. HOWEVER: The 21-475 heat shield does not fit the car no matter how much you bend it (trust me, I've been there). After seeing my friend's 2012 WRX heat shield, it looked like it would fit my LGT - and it did. The 21-478WR heat shield and the 3 rubber trim pieces that go with it create a great wall b/n the engine bay and the right wheel well (source of cold air) keeping the intake air cold, dense, and "turbo-happy".

Bottom Line: If you would like to upgrade from your short ram intake, call AEM Intakes (# is on the website) and ask for the intake pipe and filter from the 21-475 kit and the heat shield and 3 rubber trim pieces from the 21-478WR kit. The AEM dryflow filter doesn't have oil on it (good) but I do suggest you get a wrap for the air filter (AEM 1-4001) - it'll keep whatever does get into your wheel well from having the slightest chance of getting into your engine.

Will upload pics for the fit as soon as I get my spec.B back. Hope this will clear up the confusion for the moment.

Honestly, I wouldn't consider the OEM one to be Short Ram as there is a intake duct near the grill to direct air straight to the intake box. I don't see how it's different from taking air in the wheel well.

the oem intake is mostly a ram air, and cold air. I.E. the subaru engineers knew what they were doing.

I agree, the stock airbox is more of a ram air intake, and the air temperature shouldn't be much different. However, the straight piping and less restriction allow for faster spool and more flow capacity.

Archived